GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What changed between 2005 and 2006, fork seals have different part numbers. :shrug:
Getting an order ready for DLP 4th of July sale

·
Registered
49 Posts
The wiper seal changed from a two lip design (which I believe is better) to a single lip design. Other than that the fork seals are interchangeable for all years. With the exception of the double seal on the left fork leg, which started in '06.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wiper seal changed from a two lip design (which I believe is better) to a single lip design. Other than that the fork seals are interchangeable for all years. With the exception of the double seal on the left fork leg, which started in '06.
So is there a difference in the left and the right seal on an 06, I'm trying to get parts gathered up for a winter overhaul of the forks.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
So is there a difference in the left and the right seal on an 06, I'm trying to get parts gathered up for a winter overhaul of the forks.
Yes the left kit is different. If I remember right there is an extra washer/spacer that does over the seal. Seems Honda made a change probably because of all the blown left fork seals.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the parts look up it shows the same seal kit for both sides,
Did I miss something?

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
My tubes have close to 100k miles and I had some trouble with the stock seals holding. Last fork build I went with the All Balls triple seals and they are holding up fine.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My tubes have close to 100k miles and I had some trouble with the stock seals holding. Last fork build I went with the All Balls triple seals and they are holding up fine.
Don't see them on HDL site, where did you get yours from?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did I miss something?
There's another seal on the left side. If you order just the seal and wiper they are the same for both sides. But if you order the left seal set, it can also be ordered with the new additional seal as found in the 2006 and ups.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
177 Posts

I just changed out my left fork seal because it blew.As you can see in the picture above. If I would have read this string I would have ordered the ones from All Balls. I guess I better order a set for the next time I have to replace them.

·
Registered
584 Posts
would a blown seal be covered under warranty? factory or extended?

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
would a blown seal be covered under warranty? factory or extended?
I went to two dealers in the same area. One said yes, the other said no. The Wing's in the shop right now having the left seal fixed under extended warranty. I'll tell you for sure tomorrow after I pick it up and there's no surprises for me. :lol:

·
Registered
584 Posts
G

·
Did I miss something?
I just did my seals at 105k - I got a set from Dennis Kirk which are the same right and left. 5k later they are fine with no leaks so I think I am good for another 100k.
Easy replacement and I found the bushings to be like new along with all the other components.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts