GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a price of $450 labor to install all balls, progressive springs, and new fork oil. Seems a little high to me, should I try and do this myself, I have fair mechanical skills.
Thanks in advance for your response

·
Vendor
18,104 Posts
I understand doing the tapered bearings. How many miles? Did you like how it rode new? Maybe everythng but go to new OEM if you liked the ride when new and a lot less money.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought it used April this year, have put 14000 miles on it to date, 37000 total miles.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I did my own work, a lot cheaper. Made it a winter project, took my time and used Fred's videos. It's not a bad/hard job if you take your time.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Its a lot of work but if your mechanically inclined go for it. Freds dvd set helps tremendously. Put a progressive spring on the rear shock also. Mine never has bottomed out again since I did the spring.
I think $450 is a fair price considering the hours involved.

·
Registered
878 Posts
To bad you are not closer... Heck, I could be talked into doing it for 1/3 of that...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
It's a bit high, but not totally absurd depending on the price levels in your areas.

I paid a little less than that in May at Traxxion HQ, in Woodstock, but they gave me a break since the all Balls bearing stuff was already half installed...I was just adding the billet triple clams and had them rebuild forks and replace the bushings. More like $375 or 400 as I remember.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just did my fork rebuild last weekend. Not a hard job, but fairly time consuming since it was the first time I did it. The hardest part was getting the upper bushings in place, but far from insurmountable. Fred's CDs were very helpful. I paid about $150 for progressive springs, bushings, seals, and fork oil from HDL. I like to do the wrenching myself so the time spent on the job didn't bother me.

Ed

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do it yourself

I have done 2 complete progressive upgrades,01 and 05. I just completed a traxxion upgrade on my 2010. Just make sure you run the fuel down pretty low in tank. Makes it alot easier to remove. Repair manual or Fred's DVD's are a great aid. Enjoy.

Terry

I just got a price of $450 labor to install all balls, progressive springs, and new fork oil. Seems a little high to me, should I try and do this myself, I have fair mechanical skills.
Thanks in advance for your response

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't know what gas in the tank has to do with changing the fork springs and bearings but ok.

Anyway, I just finished my Race Tech Springs, Valves, All Balls, Handlebar Riser, Coolant Change, Air Filter Change, and a few other minor adjustments last week. I think I was into it for about $600 for all of that. I think I spent another $60 for the steering nut socket tool. That was the only special tool I bought. Everything else that requires a special tool from the manual I found a work-around for (by searching here on the forum).

I didn't have Fred's DVD's but I'm sure it would've been helpful and saved me my one mistake of filling the fork fluid too high.

If you have a shop manual, I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
On the cheap-get TRAXXION springs, TRAXXION brace & Fork covers and ALL BALLS BEARINGS. I cannot believe ANYONE would go to the labor of replacing the crappy oem bearings with the same????:eek:4:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Contact "Quickdraw" via private message and ask him when his next "garage day" is gonna be. He is in Olympia WA. Several guys get together and help one another perform suspension upgrades...just bring your parts and be willing to assist others as you are being assisted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts