GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of weeks ago I had a fork oil leak, I took it to the Honda shop and they replaced the seal and the oil. They said anti dive and the bushing all seem to be good. However, now when I go over a bump or the street curb I hear a knocking sound, like it is heading a bottom or something. Any thoughts. I am taking it back to the shop.

I also forgot to mention that it seems the handle bars play allot (not sure if I am explaining this correctly). Like the springs go up/down more often but very slightly.

·
Vendor
17,367 Posts
Something also sounds loose to me. I would call them and see what they say. If it does not feel safe to ride, call them and have them come pick it up.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Couple of weeks ago I had a fork oil leak, I took it to the Honda shop and they replaced the seal and the oil. They said anti dive and the bushing all seem to be good. However, now when I go over a bump or the street curb I hear a knocking sound, like it is heading a bottom or something. Any thoughts. I am taking it back to the shop.

I also forgot to mention that it seems the handle bars play allot (not sure if I am explaining this correctly). Like the springs go up/down more often but very slightly.
I'm interested in this one. I have a 2010 level 1 and have never had any type of service on the forks and just this fall I have heard few times a clunk in the front when hitting a hole or big dip in the road. Other than that it seems to perform fine. 54k on the clock.

·
Registered
19,052 Posts
Have it checked out. It is not normal

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hit a pothole with front brake on............and the ant-dive valve will cause a seal to pop...................

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Put the bike on the center stand.
Check all the bolts, upper & lower pinch bolts and the axle pinch bolts. Do this before you ride it any more.
Check the fender bolts. A loose or cracked rear section of the front fender can make noises like this.
Get the front wheel off the ground. (Jack it up, or have someone push down on the rear ((carefully)) or have someone really big sit on the passenger seat)
Check the front end for play, and the bars for play. A VERY little front to rear is probably OK, any more, not so much.....
Back on the ground, hold the front brake on and rock the bike hard. Any noise?
If you have a 5mm hex key, take the caliper covers off and check the caliper mounting bolts for tight.

Let us know what, if anything you find.

If all of these checks are OK, and you still get noise, head back to the dealer.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Put the bike on the center stand.
Check all the bolts, upper & lower pinch bolts and the axle pinch bolts. Do this before you ride it any more.
Check the fender bolts. A loose or cracked rear section of the front fender can make noises like this.
Get the front wheel off the ground. (Jack it up, or have someone push down on the rear ((carefully)) or have someone really big sit on the passenger seat)
Check the front end for play, and the bars for play. A VERY little front to rear is probably OK, any more, not so much.....
Back on the ground, hold the front brake on and rock the bike hard. Any noise?
If you have a 5mm hex key, take the caliper covers off and check the caliper mounting bolts for tight.

Let us know what, if anything you find.

If all of these checks are OK, and you still get noise, head back to the dealer.
this pretty complete above.
I would add a clean brake pad making noise. But with different handling it is pointing to me not correct fork oil levels. Or one fork has less oil than other and you are hearing fork spring hitting fork tube.

Ps oil soaked pads can feel the same as a wobbly front end. If loose feeling when braking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts