GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to update my fork springs on 2004 gl1800 with 2011 Motor Trike Adventure that is raked.

Has 91,000 on bike 70,000 since being triked. I bought 2 years ago put 18,000 on it not happy with handling and do not know any of bike service history etc. I have done all the basic services.

Winter service has been.

Replaced rear shocks/springs with factory Motor Trike replacements and also bought new rear tires. Front done previously.
Not knowing when forks have been serviced plan to change fluid etc. and was wondering if this is the time to update fork springs and looking for suggestions.

Do they need shims etc my local honda dealers don't seem to have knowledge on this.

I understand every rider has their preferences but appreciate others knowledge.

Springs only not going to the mono tubes I see offered.

2 up riders 350 -375 lbs. combined.

Thanks in advance

Dan

·
Registered
737 Posts
Howdy Dan . I rode a Motor Trike Adventure conversion for several years. When I first converted and put the rake kit in I went with progressive springs. Worst choice I ever made! The ride was so harsh I felt like I'd been in a brawl after riding all day. Two years later (25,000 miles approximately) I rebuilt the forks and put new original springs back in. WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. I continued this schedule until I sold the trike with 120,000 miles on it. If you have the rear suspension set up correctly this should give you good handling and fairly comfortable ride.

Reactions: Red Wing One

·
Registered
737 Posts
Roadsmith is eight inches longer wheel base than the Adventure Kit. That puts a lot more stress on the forks. I did put the then recommended progressive springs in when I did my conversion and have had good results with them. I won't try to take anything from Traxxion suspension but for the typical owner I'd guess it's a lot of money spent for the benefit gained.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
On my CSC conversion, I already had Progressive Springs before the conversion with the anti dive valve disabled. I kept them and have been happy with it. One thing I also do is run the front tire around 36psi. Running it at over 40psi and I was getting pounded. I also run the rear tires at around 22psi. This combination gives me a very nice ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts