GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you ever have one of those days? :eek:4: When it's a dog eat dog world and it seems like your wearing Milkbone underwear. Have been working on my bike for a few weeks trying to get it ready for some great fall riding. Kicking around the idea of a few thousand mile trip.

Am in the process of rebuilding my front forks. Want to get a fresh front end and hopefully eliminate some of trhe harshness. PA roads in a word, SUCK. Diabled anti-dive, installed Traxxion springs, new bushings, fork seals and new fork oil.

Heres my problem. Set fork oil level, dropped in the springs. Lowered the fork legs. Went to put in the washer between the spring and the spacer and lo and behold it wont fit in the fork. They seem to be a hair to big. It stops below the threads for the cap. I watched Fred's vidios and he just drops in the washer in. I know when I pulled the springs it came out easy. WTF. I searched and could not find any one else who had this problem.

Spoke to a mechanic buddy of mine who suggested putting the washers in the freezer for a couple hours to get them to shrink. Just worried about them binding in the forks when they expand.

Anybody hear of this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Lou

·
Registered
664 Posts
Do not do what your buddy tells you. If you put it in the freezer and that allows you to slip it into the fork, it could bind when it reaches ambient temprature.
The fit of the washer inside the tube is not critical. Just remove enough material around the washers circumfronce so that it can easily drop into place. In this case.............looser is better. You don't want it binding inside the fork tube. I would use a bench grinder and remove about 1/16" off the diameter of the washer.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
I've always just dropped the washers in
... they are not a close tolerance fit

... something don't sound right...

Dennis

·
Registered
878 Posts
By chance did you put the fork tube in a vise while rebuilding them??? They maybe no longer round if you did...

·
Registered
442 Posts
You should have both the washer that came with your Traxx. springs and spacers AND the spring seat that was originally in your forks.

The Traxx. washer should be placed on top of the spacer tube. This does NOT go below the depth of the internal threads of the upper tube. My best guess as to why this extra washer is in there is due to the wall thickness of the new spacer. It has a slightly smaller OD than the stock tube and doesn't seat well against the fork cap so I THINK the washer is somewhat of an adapter in this case. Otherwise, the spacer tube could have just been cut slightly longer and assembled with the spacer riding directly on the fork cap like the stock one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts