GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Ole Traveler is getting kinda soft in the sweepers. She is an 05 and has 54,000 miles on her and needs tightened up a bit. What's the group think is the best affordable fix? Traxxion springs or progressives? And best (cheapest) place to purchase?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Traxxion for me, awesome suspension

·
Registered
112 Posts
Race Tech Works

I did the Race Tech front and rear last month, after reading extensive information on this forum and other research. Our '08 suspension was soft to a fault. It now has All Balls, Gold Valves, a stout fork brace and a 1200# spring on the rear shock with a SS hydraulic line. It made a substantial difference and it was ready in a day; doesn't wallow around in the curves and doesn't bottom on RR tracks. The price was really great. You probably can't go wrong with Progressive or Traction Dynamics. Decide which one you want and go for it. You will like the results.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I have an 03 and an 04 wing. I have race tech gold valve setup in the 03; the prior owner of the 04 just put stronger springs in the forks of the 04- I'm not even sure which springs he put in. Both options are superior to stock setup by quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I did the Race Tech front and rear last month, after reading extensive information on this forum and other research. Our '08 suspension was soft to a fault. It now has All Balls, Gold Valves, a stout fork brace and a 1200# spring on the rear shock with a SS hydraulic line. It made a substantial difference and it was ready in a day; doesn't wallow around in the curves and doesn't bottom on RR tracks. The price was really great. You probably can't go wrong with Progressive or Traction Dynamics. Decide which one you want and go for it. You will like the results.:thumbup:
What he said. :yes1:

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
I believe Progressive only has one spring rate that they sell.

Traxxion has at least three different spring rates to accomadate different weight riders. Their spring only kit is $129, which is very competitive. And you can also later upgrade to AK-20's if you want to.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I would vote for Traxxion.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
If you enjoyed the ride up until you noticed the front "sagging", why go to a stiffer ride???? Many trike installers have new OEM springs that can be had for the cost of shipping or just a little more!
If you must go after market, I'd pick Traxxion in the rate for way you load your bike most of the time.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you're going to upgrade the front with a stiffer spring, I think you would be wise to also put a stiffer spring on the rear, in order to keep the bike balanced. Or as many do get a 2012 or up trike take off rear shock, which has a stiffer spring and better valving.

If you do the work yourself and just change the rear spring, you'll need a tool to swap it out. I'm in Independence just a ways north of you and will let you borrow my spring tool if you need it.

John

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
If you're just doing the springs, Traxxion, RaceTech and Progressive are all three excellent choices.
I agree. All 3 are good companies and should be able to help.

I personally have the Traxxion and went with them after about 20 minutes on the phone where I described my weight and riding style and they recommended the correct spring for me. (I have the 1.2 kg)

Upgrading the spring allows the bike to be properly suspended and therefore you can disable the ADV and is probably the most cost effective upgrade to suspension you can make.

Some people think stiffer spring means a stiffer ride but I think the ride is much better and less harsh because you have proper suspension all the way through the stroke and not a 70% consumed soft spring that turns extremely hard once the ADV engages. I'll always prefer a spring that is predictable through the stroke to one that is super soft and then super hard.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You could go anywhere from replacing stock springs with stock springs all the way to full Monty Traxxion in cost range. Determining the best suspension is like an argument over the best oil.

IMO you can get a suspension very similar to Traxxion at a fraction of the cost. Progressive Monotubes, an upgraded lower tripletree, a trike takeoff rear spring and shock from a 2012/2013 and all-balls bearings. You can do all of that for a fraction of the full monty Traxxion. I'll agree it's not Traxxion, or even racetech. Some can tell the difference, and I suspect some could not. It is by far the cheapest way to get the most bang for your buck in suspension improvement(IMO). Traxxion will cost you over 3k. The options above can be had for about 1/2 that. Perhaps you could find someone with differently improved suspensions so that you can weigh the cost/benefit for you.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info! I think I will order the traxxion springs and maybe a take off rear shock from 2012. I have a son who is a Honda motorcycle tech and will get him to help me.
jlkeen Thanks for the offer I think my son has the tools.

Thanks again to all

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Thanks for all the info! I think I will order the traxxion springs and maybe a take off rear shock from 2012. I have a son who is a Honda motorcycle tech and will get him to help me.
jlkeen Thanks for the offer I think my son has the tools.

Thanks again to all
Sounds like a plan.

I would definitely call Traxxion and talk to them a bit before you order the springs. They are very familiar with how the different spring rates will affect the ride on the GL1800 and by doing a bit of Q&A about your ride style, weight and whether or not you ride solo or 2UP most of the time, they can recommend a spring rate that should work best.

PS...If you ride 2UP a lot or carry a fair amount of luggage, I'd upgrade the spring on the 2012 rear shock as well. You can get a 1200# rear spring for about $90 and it makes a big difference if you are loading it down a bunch. The spring that comes with the 2012 or newer shock is 100 pounds beefier than the pre 2012 OEM spring but it only takes it from 900 to 1000. IMO, the 2012 spring is pretty good for solo riders coupled with a better spring in the front but if you ride 2UP, it's worth it to upgrade the spring while you are swapping shocks. My 2013 still has the stock spring as it isn't enough of a difference for me to change it but if I pulled out the shock for some reason, I would take that opportunity to upgrade the spring. (If you decide to do it, you'll probably need to find a spring tool / borrow from a member or search the threads for how to make your own with a hydraulic jack and ratchet straps or something to actually do the spring swap as you have to compress it quite a bit to get to the retaining ring to swap them)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts