GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 is 4 years old in August and almost paid for. Now the fork lock doesn't want to engage unless I fuss and fiddle with it. Used to be, I just pushed the bars to one side, twist the key and go.

Is this problem common?
Does the bike need oil in the lock, or somewhere else?
Maintenance item?

I don't want to get stuck or bend my key so, suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
My 2012 is 4 years old in August and almost paid for. Now the fork lock doesn't want to engage unless I fuss and fiddle with it. Used to be, I just pushed the bars to one side, twist the key and go.

Is this problem common?
Maintenance item?

I would check and see that nothing is keeping the handle bars or front wheel from going hard left and spray a little silicone in the lock and exercise a.little and see if that fixes issue.

·
Vendor
19,446 Posts

Is this problem common?
Maintenance item?

To make it lock, full left or right with the bars. Then to lock, push down on the key and turn. Are you pushing down on the key ???

Does it have new steering head bearings ???

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 2012 and had the same issue. It was covered under warranty. The ignition stitch and every lock the key is used for were replaced. Don't know anymore detail. No problems subsequently. Good luck.
Coop

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Are you using the factory-supplied key, or one you've had cut yourself? I've read a lot of stories about how some of the aftermarket blanks won't work for the fork lock...

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regular, stock key. Suspension upgrade but 2 years ago. I hope I don't need all new keys. Bike is out of warranty.

·
Vendor
19,446 Posts
Suspension upgrade but 2 years ago.
What does that mean ... what was upgraded ???

To test, look down in front of the switch and behind the top bridge. You should be able to see if the lock pin is not moving or lining up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts