GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to notice a bottoming out of the front wheel when I hit a bump. Trike ahs nearly 36,000 miles on it so is this customary for this to happen at this mileage?

What kind of fee am I looking at to have the springs reinforced and reoiled? Need to replace the air filter so will do both at the same t ime.

Any idea time wise how long it will take a skilled wrencher to do these?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I consider myself as skilled as any motorcycle shop wrench on GL1800s and it takes me a couple hours to complete an air filter swap out.

The forks are a different story. To do it right they need to come off and apart to be inspected for ware. If I were going that far I'd replace guides and seals just because. I'd say you would be looking at around five hours to do the forks.

If you have access to a shop manual all that can be done in your garage. It might take a bit longer if you have to read each step but you'll save a bundle of cash. Our sponsor would be happy to hook you up with all the parts at a very reasonable price...

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
You can do this if you have a service manual!
IMHO, OEM springs are fine and cheap. If you don't want to do the rebuild yourself, you could take the forks off and take them to a shop for the rebuild, still saving some money.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mine was doing this at 23,000. As the others have said, new bushings, seals, dust seal, new bolts on bottom of fork tubes. Very easy to do when the shelter is off for air filter. Much easier to work on when forks off bike. I would put in stronger springs. I did using Traxxion 1.2 springs and heavier fork oil then Honda OEM.(use 15 wt) While left fork out and guts removed, very easy to disable the anti-dive valve. It is a must do if you are on a trike and have the heavier springs. If keeping stock, then leave the AD alone. My rear passenger even remarked on how pleasant the ride is now in comparison to the old setup. My trike sits up about 1.5" higher now then before. That is while using the CSC supplied spring spacer. Now longer need the CSC with current setup.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Another point of view.
Heavy springs and heavy fork oil = harsher ride!
If your ride was OK until the front wore out, why go heavier on springs or fork oil????
I did shim the ADV when I triked but decided to leave OEM springs in w/a forl oil change. I'm happy w/the smoothness of the front suspension.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The best thing I've done to my Trike was install the Traxxion AK-20 kit to mine it now floats over the worst bumps and if I ever do it agin I would do the same thing agin

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
IMO Heavier bike/trike = need for higher spring rate, the stock fork springs are marginal at best for the weight of a two wheel 1800 when new and don't stay that way for long especially with the added weight of a kit.

Not trying to rub salt but didn't you just have the front end off to install the rake kit ? Your installer should have recommended a spring change at that time as it would have taken minutes and not cost you anything but the springs. :shrug:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts