GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if there are any members in the Elkhart area that would be willing to turn me on to a favorite restaurant? I'll be coming through and spending the night this Friday (July 1) in the I-80 / Highway 19 area. There are a couple of chain restaurants close to the motel with predictably good food but if there is a hidden gem somewhere close by, that's even better! I'd rather not have to go more than 10 - 15 miles from the motel as I will have been in the saddle about 14 hours already. :lol: Feel free to join me if you wish, I'd like to meet some board members along my route to Washington State.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so I'll take this as a hint that there are no extraordinarily outstanding eating establishments in Elkhart. Either that or there are no Forum members there. Looks like it will be dinner at Applebees.

I'll move on to the Minnesota board. My second night on the road will be in Mankato. I'll hope for better pickin's there. ;)

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
The Essenhaus is good, but a little farther away than the OP wanted to go.
This BBQ place used to be in Union, Michigan, but a fire at the original location has forced Mark to move south of the state line to CR 17 in Elkhart:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=Sauk+Trail+on+17&go=&qs=n&sk=&form=QBLH

We haven't been there since it moved, but it was one of our favorite places to eat at the previous location. You'll be very close to us, and we'd love to meet you for dinner Friday, but Rich will be trailering our bike down to 5Ross's in Logansport to work on the alternator drive gear that evening. :(

You're right, lots of chains to choose from near the I-80 interchange in Elkhart, if you choose to stay there. PM me if you need more info. Have a great ride!

Rich & Becky

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Essenhaus is good, but a little farther away than the OP wanted to go.
This BBQ place used to be in Union, Michigan, but a fire at the original location has forced Mark to move south of the state line to CR 17 in Elkhart:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=Sauk+Trail+on+17&go=&qs=n&sk=&form=QBLH

We haven't been there since it moved, but it was one of our favorite places to eat at the previous location. You'll be very close to us, and we'd love to meet you for dinner Friday, but Rich will be trailering our bike down to 5Ross's in Logansport to work on the alternator drive gear that evening. :(

You're right, lots of chains to choose from near the I-80 interchange in Elkhart, if you choose to stay there. PM me if you need more info. Have a great ride!

Rich & Becky
Hey thanks Becky! BBQ would be right down my alley! I haven't had any good Que since I moved to NJ. Except mine of course. :lol:

Thanks for the info about "Sauk Trail on 17". And it's only about 8 miles from my motel. Too bad you are not free for the evening, I'd love to meet you and Rich.

Take Care!

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Coming from NJ-thought you might be able to stop @ Essenhaus before getting to Elkhart but, it appears you are a BBQ fan-enjoy!
Welcome to the Hoosier State.
Avoid as much of Chicago as you possibly can! Even if you have to go some out of your way! Be very alert if you're taking the 80/94 route through that area. Traffic is terrible through there!
Maybe someone more familiar w/that area will chime in! and give help or tell me I'm wrong(as usual;))

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coming from NJ-thought you might be able to stop @ Essenhaus before getting to Elkhart but, it appears you are a BBQ fan-enjoy!
Welcome to the Hoosier State.
Avoid as much of Chicago as you possibly can! Even if you have to go some out of your way! Be very alert if you're taking the 80/94 route through that area. Traffic is terrible through there!
Maybe someone more familiar w/that area will chime in! and give help or tell me I'm wrong(as usual;))
It's not that Essenhaus was unappealing, but I'm from Texas where BBQ is a Religion. :lol: I just wanted something good a little closer to the motel. I hadn't thought at all about stopping before I got to the motel. So it's an option. Anyway, I do appreciate your feedback.

I am planning to get an early start Saturday morning and leave Elkhart no later than 6:00 am which will put me into the Gary/Chicago area by 7:00 - 7:30. I don't figure traffic will be as heavy early on Saturday morning as it would be on a weekday. At least I'm hoping that's the case. I will stay on I-80 to almost Joliet where I'll take I-355 N to I-88 W and then work my way up through Dubuque and Rochester to Mankato for night number two.

My plan is to hit Highway 12 in Orntonville, MN on day 3 and stay on that all the way into Washington. When I get on 12, I'll slow down a bit and enjoy the ride. ;)

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
Too bad you're not coming through one day earlier, you could miss Chicago for free!
http://www.lake-express.com/about/news_article.aspx?id=119 Going into Chicago will not be quite so bad on a Saturday morning, but remember that you'll be going OUT of Chicago on the far side on a Saturday morning, too, and that's likely to be where you'll run into trouble. Make sure you've got water with you and maybe a snack, in case you get stuck in traffic. A friend from the forum left our house for Chicago one day a few years ago, and sat on the Toll Road for two hours while a wreck was cleared.

Sauk Trail is just off the Toll Road at the CR 17 exit. It will be the first Elkhart exit, your motel will be at the second Elkhart exit, and it's an easy on-and-off to your resting place.

The Essenhaus is ok, if you like bland, but that's just my opinion. It's known for its Amish-style cooking, but with a last name like 'Yoder', I've had enough of that! LOL If you want dressing and noodles and gravy, it's the place for you. For BBQ, Sauk on 17 is the place to go.

Also too bad you'll have had such a long day before hitting Elkhart. If you hop off the Indiana Toll Road in Howe, Indiana and make a short ride north, you can take a picture of your bike at the "Welcome To Sturgis" (Michigan) sign. :)

US 12 has a long history, and is where Sauk Trail on 17 got its name: http://www.bing.com/search?q=historic+Sauk+Trail+US+12&FORM=SSRE .

Sorry we can't meet up Friday...I hope you have a wonderful trip! Next time you come through, let us know and we'll meet up with you.

Becky

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Too bad you're not coming through one day earlier, you could miss Chicago for free!
http://www.lake-express.com/about/news_article.aspx?id=119 Going into Chicago will not be quite so bad on a Saturday morning, but remember that you'll be going OUT of Chicago on the far side on a Saturday morning, too, and that's likely to be where you'll run into trouble. Make sure you've got water with you and maybe a snack, in case you get stuck in traffic. A friend from the forum left our house for Chicago one day a few years ago, and sat on the Toll Road for two hours while a wreck was cleared.

Sauk Trail is just off the Toll Road at the CR 17 exit. It will be the first Elkhart exit, your motel will be at the second Elkhart exit, and it's an easy on-and-off to your resting place.

The Essenhaus is ok, if you like bland, but that's just my opinion. It's known for its Amish-style cooking, but with a last name like 'Yoder', I've had enough of that! LOL If you want dressing and noodles and gravy, it's the place for you. For BBQ, Sauk on 17 is the place to go.

Also too bad you'll have had such a long day before hitting Elkhart. If you hop off the Indiana Toll Road in Howe, Indiana and make a short ride north, you can take a picture of your bike at the "Welcome To Sturgis" (Michigan) sign. :)

US 12 has a long history, and is where Sauk Trail on 17 got its name: http://www.bing.com/search?q=historic+Sauk+Trail+US+12&FORM=SSRE .

Sorry we can't meet up Friday...I hope you have a wonderful trip! Next time you come through, let us know and we'll meet up with you.

Becky
That's interesting information on the Sauk Trail. I was wondering about that name.

Funny you should mention Sturgis (MI). I do plan to turn North at Exit 121 off of I-80 and go to Sturgis. I need Michigan on my map so I plan to ride on 12 to Cassopolis Rd and then turn South to the motel.

When I'm traveling on long distance rides I usually eat very lightly while I'm on the road. But for BBQ I might have to break that rule. :lol:

Also a good tip about Chicago, I'll be sure to get a couple of bottles of water and some granola bars. :yes1:

Thanks Becky.

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
Funny you should mention Sturgis (MI). I do plan to turn North at Exit 121 off of I-80 and go to Sturgis. I need Michigan on my map so I plan to ride on 12 to Cassopolis Rd and then turn South to the motel.

Thanks Becky.
Oh, no, you will NOT ride US 12 to Cassopolis Road...although if you did, you'd pass within a mile and a half of our house! 12 is closed at M-40 just west of Mottville, MI, around twenty-five miles or so west of Sturgis, for construction. Rich just left for work and I am directionally disabled ( :D ) or I would give you an idea for a pretty detour ride. Let me talk to him later and get back to you. You won't find Mottville on a map, I suspect.

B

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, no, you will NOT ride US 12 to Cassopolis Road...although if you did, you'd pass within a mile and a half of our house! 12 is closed at M-40 just west of Mottville, MI, around twenty-five miles or so west of Sturgis, for construction. Rich just left for work and I am directionally disabled ( :D ) or I would give you an idea for a pretty detour ride. Let me talk to him later and get back to you. You won't find Mottville on a map, I suspect.

B
Thanks! I love this forum! Information like that is priceless.

Looks like M-103 heads South at Mottville and will take me back to I-80. See what Rich says. Maybe there are some back roads that will keep me off I-80 again and get me to the motel.

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
Rich says there is no way to get there that is BOTH scenic AND easy! LOL

If you want to go to your motel first, then eat, take M-103 out of Mottville to Bristol, Indiana. Turn right onto S.R. 120 in Bristol at the first stoplight, and continue west to C. R. 17. Turn right (north) on 17 and follow it to C.R. 6. Turn left onto C.R. 6 and go to (he thinks) the fifth stop light, which will be at the intersection of C.R. 6 and Cassopolis St. Turn right on Cassopolis, and you will cross over the Toll Road. Your motel will be right there, at North Pointe Plaza.

If you want to eat first, turn LEFT when you get to C.R. 17. Sauk Trail should be on the southeast corner at the stop light at the intersection of 17 and Middlebury St. You have to turn left off 17 to get into the parking lot. The entrance is off Middlebury St.

Hope this helps!
Becky

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rich says there is no way to get there that is BOTH scenic AND easy! LOL

If you want to go to your motel first, then eat, take M-103 out of Mottville to Bristol, Indiana. Turn right onto S.R. 120 in Bristol at the first stoplight, and continue west to C. R. 17. Turn right (north) on 17 and follow it to C.R. 6. Turn left onto C.R. 6 and go to (he thinks) the fifth stop light, which will be at the intersection of C.R. 6 and Cassopolis St. Turn right on Cassopolis, and you will cross over the Toll Road. Your motel will be right there, at North Pointe Plaza.

If you want to eat first, turn LEFT when you get to C.R. 17. Sauk Trail should be on the southeast corner at the stop light at the intersection of 17 and Middlebury St. You have to turn left off 17 to get into the parking lot. The entrance is off Middlebury St.

Hope this helps!
Becky
Thanks Becky & Rich! This is a better route than the one I was going to take. I appreciate your help!

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
No problem at all! Hope your trip goes perfectly.

Rich & Becky

1 - 15 of 15 Posts