GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
It's one of those things.....
You don't know what you were missing until you have it and find out how nice it is.

5th Wing and the FWD/REV walking modes is one of the better things Honda has done over the years IMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm a very conservative guy, at least mechanically, and there are many things modern cars and bikes can do that I don't need--automatic parking assist, lane assist, GPS, TPMS, the list is long--but I can see their value. Until people pointed out the circustances in which they use the forward walker function, I couldn't see its usefulness. Now I can.

·
Love The DCT
11,381 Posts
I guess that means I need to have that feature taken off my new bike?
Forward and reverse walking speed mode feature cannot be taken off the DCT bike. The six speed manual tour bikes do not have a forward walking speed mode.
?

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Not bashing, but requiring a forward walker function was one of the reasons I chose a manual transmission. I considered: someone has made a conscientious decision that the DCT could not be ridden forward at slow speed without additional assistance and at some expense. I thought about that and concluded I had no problem with a clutch anyway (plus saving money). So is forward walking mode better than clutch feathering?
Yamahas Venture has a forward walking mode as well as a reverse...I guess Yamaha thinks that clutch feathering is not enough.. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I’ve used the walking mode to get myself unstuck in soft gravel once. I was able to stand beside the bike in walking mode and not having to run the throttle I was able to use my free hand to pull the bike free.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts