GL1800Riders Forums banner

Forward walker function

2K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  Dmatthys 
#1 ·
Hi,

This has bothered me (slightly) since I bought the DCT in 2018, and I'm asking seriously: Isn't the forward walker function redundant? Because I back in to parking spaces with the bike's weight in mind I never need or use reverse, but I understand what it's there for. But what can this forward walker function do that we can't do by simply putting the bike in Drive and moving forward using the throttle gently? Am I wrong to think that this is simply another way to do something we can already do? I'm hoping someone can tell me some way tp use this funciton that isn't obvious to me and that justifies its existence, because otherwise I think it's just an unnecessary gimmick.

I'm not arguing its value to someone who likes it; I want someone to tell me why he likes it because I'm assuming there's a good reason for it that I'm just not seeing.

#2 ·
There has been discussions about this on this forum and on others. It seems that the forward walker function moves the bike slower and more carefully than just blipping the throttle. In close situations, going from slow ahead to slow reverse keeps it under control at all times.

#3 ·
That makes sense. I can see where if I needed to perform a complicated maneuver, it would be easier to go from forward to reverse and back that way rather than use reverse, then put the bike in Drive, then move forward, then put the bike in Neutral and then into Reverse etc. Thanks very much! I actually feel better now.

#5 ·
I love it when I load my GW onto my lift for maintenance nice steady controlled roll up the ramp and onto the lift bed! Sweet!

#7 ·
I use it at least once every time I take the bike out. Generally it is when I park it under the nose of my fifthwheel upon return from a ride. I occasionally use it to tickie the bike around under the nose of my fifthwheel when leaving, too...back up a smidge, turn the handlebars, move forward a smidge, repeat as necessary to get into a position to clear everything nearby. Love the capability Honda included!

Reactions: gkarasik
#8 ·
Very wet Winter in NC. Forward Walk is Great if you ever find yourself having to traverse short sections of wet, soupy grass or possibly mudholes. Much harder to spin the rear sideways vs. throttle. As others mentioned, precision parking (putting it EXACTLY where you intended) is just as easy as a 200 lb. dirt bike. Thanks Honda for dreaming this up!

#10 ·
The cool and helpful advantage of the forward/reverse creep modes on the 2018+ DCT is being able to transition from one to the other with a simple push of a button.....
Seamless transition from creeping forward to creeping reverse by pushing either the +/- buttons.

Very well done by Honda IMHO........

#12 ·
I love the walking mode both forward and reverse. I park our Wing sideways in our garage between two vintage muscle cars and the walking mode prevents me from accidently hitting the throttle and crashing into one of the cars. I also like it for backing out of parking spaces. I use the walking mode more than once everytime I take the bike out. Our previous bike was a HD Road Glide Ultra and it was a bear to get in and out of the garage.

#13 ·
Not bashing, but requiring a forward walker function was one of the reasons I chose a manual transmission. I considered: someone has made a conscientious decision that the DCT could not be ridden forward at slow speed without additional assistance and at some expense. I thought about that and concluded I had no problem with a clutch anyway (plus saving money). So is forward walking mode better than clutch feathering?

#16 ·
So is forward walking mode better than clutch feathering?
I think another suggested earlier why it makes sense to have both forward and reverse in walking mode on the DCT.

To engage walking mode requires application of front brake and a press of the walking mode switch to enable forward & reverse walking mode using the paddle switches.

If the DCT did not have forward walking mode, each time you wanted to transition from reverse to forward you would have to apply front brake, press the walking mode switch to exit walking mode and put the bike in Drive to move forward in 1st gear.

So if you are in a tight spot that requires moving the bike fore and aft several times, having both forward and reverse in walking mode eliminates the process of having to repeatedly engage and disengage walking mode to get between forward & reverse.

I've had situations where I've had to turn around on narrow paved roads that were freshly rocked and walking forward / reverse was really handy.

#14 ·
The one advantage I can think of, is, you are able to use your left hand to engage the forward motion and the right hand for the front brake. Whereas, with it engaged in drive, you have to manage the brake and the throttle with the right hand only. I don't use it very often, but occasionally, pulling out of the garage, where I have backed in, I use it for moving around the garage door frame, other bikes, wifes car in the carport, etc. It gives me a little more control, to keep from bumping anything.

Reactions: Harley Rider
#22 ·
It's one of those things.....
You don't know what you were missing until you have it and find out how nice it is.

5th Wing and the FWD/REV walking modes is one of the better things Honda has done over the years IMHO.

Reactions: gkarasik
#24 ·
I'm a very conservative guy, at least mechanically, and there are many things modern cars and bikes can do that I don't need--automatic parking assist, lane assist, GPS, TPMS, the list is long--but I can see their value. Until people pointed out the circustances in which they use the forward walker function, I couldn't see its usefulness. Now I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.