GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a black '06 comfort, navi, ABS, premium sound with only 9k miles on it for $17,250. It has a few chrome things here and there and a set of Kury highway pegs mounted. I don't know which model...they all look the same to me. The dealer has installed two new D-250 Lops, new oil change, and new state inspection. The factory warranty is good until the end of July 2009 so I'll be able to buy the extended warranty from Hal.

Does this price seem fair?? I've never been a good negotiator. My wife always did the talking before her stroke and over the years, left a few good car salesmen needing therapy.:p

·
Canuck
2,824 Posts
I found a black '06 comfort, navi, ABS, premium sound with only 9k miles on it for $17,250. It has a few chrome things here and there and a set of Kury highway pegs mounted. I don't know which model...they all look the same to me. The dealer has installed two new D-250 Lops, new oil change, and new state inspection. The factory warranty is good until the end of July 2009 so I'll be able to buy the extended warranty from Hal.

Does this price seem fair?? I've never been a good negotiator. My wife always did the talking before her stroke and over the years, left a few good car salesmen needing therapy.:p
Lucky;

Up here in Canada our prices are higher than in the States, so can't say that I'm really familiar with your pricing. But from what I've read on this board, that's not really so great a deal. Believe you can get a new '08 or '09 for not much more. A new Wing would have everything you listed on the '06 you're looking at (except for extra chrome and highway pegs), and you can choose the colour, break it in yourself, try for better tires, and probably get good prices from the dealer on any extras you want.

JMHO

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm with photoguy. I don't think that's a great deal either. In fact, it's not really a good deal. If you like the bike, offer him $15.5 and stroll if they don't go for it.

There'll be plenty of opportunity out there to grab yourself a Super deal. Just be a little patient, and good things will happen.

·
Registered
195 Posts
From your post "Did I do OK" - sounds like you may have purchased already? If so - enjoy - should be a great bike. Nope, its probably not the deal of the century. But an 06 ABS should be great. Order the Ex Warranty off of HAL's site and you'll be set.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sometimes it depends on supply and demand in the area too.

Used Navis seem to go a lot higher.

The dealers don't negotiate vey much around here. For example, I paid cash for a 4 wheeler, and they wouldn't even come down 25 bucks!

My 08 base model was 18K out the door, and had about 1K worth of bolt-ons installed. I wasn't real impressed with that price.

After I bought it, I noticed many of their used models were going for 17K tp 17.8K with Navi.

They (Shawnee Honda) usually have an e-bay special. A new 08 black base model for 16.5K Add color upgrade, fees, and bolt ons and thats how I got to the 18K.

Now, I see the 08 Navi e-bay special is 18.5K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles___2008-HONDA-GOLDWING-W-NAVIGATION-NEW_W0QQitemZ150324109582QQddnZMotorcyclesQQddiZ2283QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item150324109582&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From your post "Did I do OK" - sounds like you may have purchased already? If so - enjoy - should be a great bike. Nope, its probably not the deal of the century. But an 06 ABS should be great. Order the Ex Warranty off of HAL's site and you'll be set.

I could care less about the navi...but want ABS. Thanks to Honda's stupid packaging, and their sales prevention department, (marketing geniuses), it has become very expensive to get ABS.

I got financed through my credit union and they're sending the check to the dealer....but I have not signed a bill of sale and the check will be made out to both myself and the dealer. I could still walk or maybe at least negotiate some free accessories out of them.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
do yourself a favor and run away from this --so called--deal

dealers have brand new 08 abs wings at $19,000

for decent colors, the black is a $300 down cost from the premium colors

the nav has to be purchased to get the abs, theres no choice on that

·
Canuck
2,824 Posts
I got financed through my credit union and they're sending the check to the dealer....but I have not signed a bill of sale and the check will be made out to both myself and the dealer. I could still walk or maybe at least negotiate some free accessories out of them.
Walk away. Or, as loren suggests, run away. I would expect that if you need financing the Honda 3.99% is better than financing through a credit union. http://powersports.honda.com/offers/motorcycles/touring-sport-touring.aspx

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
+1 Ditto Lauren!!:wrong:

·
Registered
107 Posts
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159072

Maybe you can compare your deal to Hals. For a mid-winter deal I think that you might be able to do alittle better. I'm like you, I hate doing the dickering dance, but without it you get beaten up. Good luck on your decision

Last Sept. I bought an'05 GL1800/ABS for $16,000. It has 12,000 mi. and it came with a backrest and cb and 2yr. warranty. While I waited to pick it up the dealer did the 12,000 mi. service. I financed it through my credit union as well. Yes I could have continued to look for better deals and maybe have spent a little more on a newer bike, but this bike was my color(blue) and was is excellent shape. The way I look at it is that by the time it's paid off what difference is a few hundred dollars going to make either way? I will still have a fabulous bike and with my limited riding time, one that will last me a long, long time.

PastMaster

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just my 2 cents.
Their price is about average for an 06 ABS thru a dealer. You might be able to do better on price if they want to move the inventory or at least get something more out of them. I got my 06 thru private party because of my fustration with my local dealer. How much money are you willing to spend for this new adventure is the key question. You can get a newer model for $2500 more. It won't have much more on it but it is newer. It's just a personal choice you will have to make. Don't get too wrapped up on using the local dealer. There are so many other willing dealers out there to purchase from if you are willing to go get it or at least negotiate shipping. I have exactly what your looking at and I like mine. Good Luck. :p

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Lucky,

While some are posting here that you could do better - YOU have to ask yourself how comfortable are YOU with the deal? ? ?

You noted that there were several options added to the bike that your taking ownership of. OK, so you can get a "HAL" deal of a newer bike for less - BUT how much of the options that are already on the bike would you have to purchase to meet YOUR "collection"?

How much would the hi-way pegs cost even if you went to MOPs instead of the ones on the bike? How much of the chrome add-ons would you LIKE to have on your new bike and how much would that cost?

I think Bulldawg always says it right "If your HAPPY - I'm HAPPY". I know that many here would rag me for what I paid for my GL1800 - but when I left the dealership I was happy with the bike, happy with the add-ons I had included in the purchase, and didn't feel that I had paid more than I was comfortable with.

I have found that UNLESS their paying MY bills - opinions of how I spend my money are always that I didn't do it THEIR way.

Enjoy the ride and smile knowing you got what you LIKED!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Fair price?

Lucky,

If you've already acquired the bike, congratulations and ride safe! You're in for miles of smiles and lots of enjoyment.

If you haven't done the deal yet, you might want to look around a little more. Patience is the key. We were able to find an '01 1800 GL with under 6,500 miles several months back for $11,200, and that was before things got really bad.

You might check E-bay as well as the GWRRA message board. My guess is, you'll find lots of choices out there right now.

Good luck!

Jim in Franklin, TN

·
Mad UK Winger
356 Posts
Just for comparison, in the UK i got my 06 'A6' model with 2k worth of doodles added and 3k on the clock for just under 15k which included delivery over 100 miles and an exceptional after sales service.

i would think at the exchange rate yours aint far off same but like many say, its whether you want to wait or not?

i love black and couldnt wait :)

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
It sounds like you are happy....If your happy, I am happy...

Get what you can and ride ride ride !!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Buy new 2008 for $19k

Skip that deal and buy a new 2008 for $19k. Plus you will get a full 3 three year warranty.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the input.

I already suspected this wasn't the best deal that might be had, it's just a little under the Kelly Blue Book retail price for this area. Honda's 3.9% financing isn't an option for me...my credit score isn't going to qualify. I got 8% from my credit union on the used bike.

I talked to the salesman this afternoon and he agreed to throw in a trunk spoiler for me. When I sold my '03 last year I really didn't think it would be possible to get another for several years. My gut tells me to count my blessings and be happy with what has been put in front of me.

Woo-hoo!! I'm a "Winger" again! :yes1:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts