GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I was going to wheel my bike out of the shop and leave on a 2 day trip I found this 6 mm carrage bolt lying on the floor beside the bike:eek:4:.
A guick look over and I saw nothing out of place, I guess I will need to dig deeper.
Does anyone recognize this bolt and what it is supposed to be attachment to???:shrug:
Thanks
Paul

Attachments

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Any recent work on the bike? If it was my garage it could have come from the "bolt bucket".
Good luck...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Maybe from the bottom of the trunk or side boxes.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Maybe from the garage door? :shrug:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Just went out and checked my wing. The bolt may have come from the rear fender theres two on the bottom and two on top. :bow:

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Paul, I think one of your Hardly Davidson buddies is messing with ya! LOL!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Came off the Harley in the corner Paul!!!!!
Not there anymore Neil sold it...vary traumatic :22yikes:

Paul, I think one of your Hardly Davidson buddies is messing with ya! LOL!
sharkwl
I don't think so, but I have found the odd pile of rice underneath it:shrug:

Just went out and checked my wing. The bolt may have come from the rear fender theres two on the bottom and two on top
Thanks Peteswing I will take a look in that direction

Maybe from the garage door?
boppo
Will check that also.
We just go in from a trip to Prince George & also a run around horse and green lakes....... very nice

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are no carriage bolts anywhere on a GL1800
Thanks Rocky
I was thinking that might it be from a clip for holding some wires or hoses under the front cowl:shrug:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thanks Rocky
I was thinking that might it be from a clip for holding some wires or hoses under the front cowl:shrug:

Carriage bolts are aftermarket items.If it did fall off your bike?,then it came from an aftermarket accessory.
I'd check those items if you have any first for a missing bolt?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Carriage bolts are aftermarket items.If it did fall off your bike?,then it came from an aftermarket accessory.
I'd check those items if you have any first for a missing bolt?
Rocky this is a 6mm carrage bolt, don't think that I have seen a metric carrage bolt before.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky this is a 6mm carrage bolt, don't think that I have seen a metric carrage bolt before.
I've had every piece of plastic off my own bike for painting.I work on bikes and and just can't see where this could of possibly come from.

Maybe a mechanic put it on when you had past work done on the bike when they lost the correct bolt? (just a guess)

Carriage bolts are usually an outside bolt due to it's smooth shape,and seeing yours is chrome where was it used?

All the button head allen bolts are SS on the extreior of the 1800.(four of them on the rear fender) the others are on the lower front cowl.
The rest are hidden.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had every piece of plastic off my own bike for painting.I work on bikes and and just can't see where this could of possibly come from.

Maybe a mechanic put it on when you had past work done on the bike when they lost the correct bolt? (just a guess)

Carriage bolts are usually an outside bolt due to it's smooth shape,and seeing yours is chrome where was it used?

All the button head allen bolts are SS on the extreior of the 1800.(four of them on the rear fender) the others are on the lower front cowl.
The rest are hidden.
The bolt is zinc plated
Nobody has put a wrench on this bike except me, I think that the P.O. had changed the oil & filter but that is most likely all that was done to it.
You said "I've had every piece of plastic off my own bike for painting.I work on bikes and and just can't see where this could of possibly come from."
THAT is EXACTLY why I asked my question.
Thanks for you input
Paul

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The bolt is zinc plated

Nobody has put a wrench on this bike except me,
I think that the P.O. had changed the oil & filter but that is most likely all that was done to it.
You said "I've had every piece of plastic off my own bike for painting.I work on bikes and and just can't see where this could of possibly come from."
THAT is EXACTLY why I asked my question.
Thanks for you input
Paul
My mistake.it looked chrome in the picture.no bolt on the bike is zinc.

Then that also rules out someone installing that bolt.

My saying that about my taking everything off my bike is because I know every piece on the bike,and no where is a carriage bolt used..

Could this bolt been dropped off a work bench? or been somehow kicked near the bike? (just guessing here?)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts