GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a book today at Barnes and Noble called "Motorcycling Across Indiana". It has 17 tours that are detailed in the book and several others that are listed in the appendix. Mileages range from 121 to 805 miles (around the state). It is written by William Murphy and has a ton of other stuff in the appendicies and wouls seem to me to be very helpful in case of an emergency. State Police post numbers, Sheriffs Depts numbers and motorcycle dealers and repair shops. The next time you are near a book store, pick it up and take a look at it. You might be surprised.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I picked up a book today at Barnes and Noble called "Motorcycling Across Indiana". It has 17 tours that are detailed in the book and several others that are listed in the appendix. Mileages range from 121 to 805 miles (around the state). It is written by William Murphy and has a ton of other stuff in the appendicies and wouls seem to me to be very helpful in case of an emergency. State Police post numbers, Sheriffs Depts numbers and motorcycle dealers and repair shops. The next time you are near a book store, pick it up and take a look at it. You might be surprised.
I'll be waiting for a book report on the tours they list for Southern Indiana. Do they point out any undiscovered treasures? You are right in the heart of some great motorcycle roads where you are at.
I'm a few miles due East of you in Madison. I do wish that wish they made one for Kentucky, and Tennessee.

I have been using "The Ride Guide: America's best motorcycle rides", which covers Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina & Tennessee. It's OK, but the maps leave something to be desired. I've had it for 5 or 6 years, and it doesn't seem to be in print anymore.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
Since you have the time Mike, you could scan that into a digital format for safe keeping!

Bradford

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well. the book is pretty comprehensive in a lot of ways. It shows maps (not much detail), but if you corelate the trip to a Indiana State Highway map, it is pretty good. Some of the rides are titled:

The Caverns, Caves and Falls Tour, 213 miles
The Ohio River Tour, 255 miles
The Great Indiana Exploration Tour, 805 miles

I'm going to try to put these trips in a word or a pdf file and make them available on the trips and events thread and also here for our enjoyment. With this weather like it is, I will have plenty of opportunity to get it right and make it a nice file for riders use.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Interesting book. I found it at www.amazon.com at this site:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1933926058/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1233493772&sr=1-1&condition=new[/ame]

I can have it delivered to my door for just over $14.00.

We just had a Waldenbooks store go out of business here and I remember walking by and seeing this book in the 40% off rack sitting outside their store. I was going to go back the next day and look at it. Guess what, I forgot all about it until I read your post... Dum on me.....

The review on the book tells about all of the good riding around the Wabash River and the Mississinewa Res. I live within 15 miles of all that. The part he does not tell you is that the roads are for the most part in terrible shape. You would not enjoy the ride as much as he makes it sound. Trust me on this.

A lot of the meandering country roads through the farmland he is mentioning is also in poor shape and they are only going to get worse..

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very true, very true.

There are also some side rides listed in the back of the book and as we are always looking for new places to ride and see, this book is very good way of getting started on doing just that. We also picked up a book on Indiana Cafes and Restaurants. As we like to eat and ride, the SO and I will be placing these into the saddle bag for things to do. Actually we are going to be using the book to set up day rides and such for when the weather starts getting better. After losing all last summer, the SO has laid down the law to me, we will be riding every chance we get, everywhere we can. So be looking for us on the road, it will be the 07 airbag with a good looking blonde on the back, and a fat old man on the front.:lol:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Cool find! Thanks for spreading the word on it Mike!!:bow:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, if it is still in print I will order one today.

·
Registered
819 Posts
couldn't find it, probably out of print now.:shrug:

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's still in print, the writer was at Hayden Honda this spring with it & one for MI & OH as well. HE has done a lot of riding & talking to riders to get the info for the books. There's a ride from Fort Wayne East to the fort in Ohio but I can't remember the name of it :p now that sounded like a good ride. Fort Defiance maybe.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Sorry I don't know what I did wrong before but I did find it tonight at amazon + one for Ohio,Wisconsin and Michigan.:lol:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just ordered from Amazon. Thanks for posting about this book.:thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts