GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When riding on the crappy roads up here in Michigan and i go over a bump or through a pothole and it moves me on the seat, the throttle jumps too. I find it making the bump extra jerky cause you are hitting the bump and then acceleration changes cause your hand moves on the throttle. Makes for a double jerk on the bike. I have grip puppies and tried not squeezing the throttle lighter but the jolt still takes you off the seat. Seems more pronounced that a clutch bike. Just mho

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Unfortunately I don't ride on crappy, bumpy roads with potholes. I stick to flat level paved roads. I have never left my seat while riding.

Reactions: remoandiris

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Almost every new rider on an ST1300 posts up about how "snatchy or jerky" the throttle is. Hit bumps, go zoom-zoom. This was my first thought in reply. I never noticed a jerky throttle on the extended demo I did on a DCT Tour. (900 miles) but I was used to riding a ST1300.

After a while an adaptive rider lightens up on the grips or drops his wrist angle or whatever it takes for that rider to not change the throttle when hitting bumps and magically the throttle becomes much less snatchy or jerky.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Have you tried economy or rain modes ? throttle response a bit less here. I use econ on roads with bad expansions joints , helps

·
Registered
482 Posts
seriously rough surface, you would do better to have you backside off the seat... using your legs for additional shock control.. it's one of the reasons I don't like forward controls on bikes.. hard to stand on the pegs...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you watch Max’s videos he will mention this dilemma or drawback and its a bike suspension issue regardless of transmission. Ofcourse some will say that Max is in the business of finding problems that don't exist but you clearly highlight exactly the problem that Max describes.

The issue is far less prevalent in economy mode. I am also curious to see if the Guhl reflash addresses this throttle issue. Maybe Fred will chime in if he reads this.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Unfortunately I don't ride on crappy, bumpy roads with potholes. I stick to flat level paved roads. I have never left my seat while riding.
You're lucky you don't live in Indiana then because you wouldn't riding much that's for sure.

I agree about the jerky throttle, trans ,or whatever because sometimes when slowing then accelerating like making a left hand turn, it jerks so hard scares the c*** out of me.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
If you watch Max’s videos he will mention this dilemma or drawback and its a bike suspension issue regardless of transmission. Ofcourse some will say that Max is in the business of finding problems that don't exist but you clearly highlight exactly the problem that Max describes.

The issue is far less prevalent in economy mode. I am also curious to see if the Guhl reflash addresses this throttle issue. Maybe Fred will chime in if he reads this.
the whiskey throttle is the touchy throttle, not suspension. as you stated, it decreases in econ mode. getting lifted off the seat is a suspension issue...just to clarify

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
The suspension alone can cause problems with bouncing, hence why I went with Traxxion upgrade

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK guys thanks for the replies. First off i have been riding a motorcycle for 50 years this year. I have raced both on dirt and pavement and consider myself more than competent. Im glad some of you have good roads but that is not the case here in Michigan. I ride everyday no matter what until the snow flies and it is not safe. I also ride in the Detroit metro area which has some of the worst cage drivers in the USA. All things mentioned above are factors, TBW, Suspension and crappy roads. I am sure at some point everyone has went over a bump or bad spot in the road and had the jerky effect. It's more annoying than anything. On a clutch bike, just pull in the clutch and it solves part of the problem. The roads might never get repaired. I still believe it to be a drawback and that is just my opinion. Thanks

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
When riding on the crappy roads up here in Michigan and i go over a bump or through a pothole and it moves me on the seat, the throttle jumps too. I find it making the bump extra jerky cause you are hitting the bump and then acceleration changes cause your hand moves on the throttle. Makes for a double jerk on the bike. I have grip puppies and tried not squeezing the throttle lighter but the jolt still takes you off the seat. Seems more pronounced that a clutch bike. Just mho
I currently ride a 2016 Wing that I am very happy with, but I will eventually want to replace it and I'd like to learn both the good and the bad about this new Goldwing.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I too have 50+ years riding (clutching) bikes but your right Rob, it is a bit jerky. I'm still getting used to mine. It does get a little better every time I ride it though. But what really makes up for it is every time I take off from a stop how cool it goes through the gears.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
the whiskey throttle is the touchy throttle, not suspension. as you stated, it decreases in econ mode. getting lifted off the seat is a suspension issue...just to clarify
How much does it cost to get that whiskey throttle? Might be a snake around the next curve.

prs

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I also agree that a properly adjusted and lubed cable throttle is way smoother than this herky/jerky flyn by wire system. It needs to be dampened instead of on/off notches.

prs

Reactions: bigrobtemp

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Having a number of bikes, I have had a number of experiences. None worse than the K1600 before they remapped the "Dynamic" throttle. The KTM 990 was, and still is, a bit finicky even though it's cabled. I am still getting use to the Goldwing DCT, but I don't find it exceptionally out of whack.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I guess I was lucky and got one of the good Goldwings. I have learned how to control my DCT bike. I do not experience any jerkiness at all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts