GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gentleman,

Was just going over my new to me 2003 GL 1800 and I noticed a small knob on the under side of the ride handle bar controls. There are wires from it that go to a little black box. The knob is adjustable and for the life of me I can not figure out what it is. If it would help to attach a picture I can do that tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your help it you know what this know might be. You can turn it left or right and it does seem to change positions, so that is why I feel it must adjust something. Again, thanks for your thoughts and guidance gentleman and like I said, I can grab a picture tomorrow.

Rife On

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
My first guess is that it would be a heated gear control, but regardless, it's obviously aftermarket, so without a picture, it's just wild guessing.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Try adjusting the knob in the dark. My guess is it could be the dimmer control for the aftermarket Rivco Illuminated Handlebar Controls. Honda added the feature beginning with the '04 model year. I had the same Rivco kit on my '03.

·
motorcycle cowboy
935 Posts
Maybe it's the control switch for the passenger seat vibrator. >:)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Maybe it's the control switch for the passenger seat vibrator. >:)
HEY!!! That isn't a southern thing, I love cola and Moon Pies! That is one of my bike snacks!

Reactions: rooster shooter

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys, have a band aid on my finger so I oops typing and my new to me GL 1800 is actually a 2002, sorry on that, it only has 48,000 miles on it, So here are some pictures. The button only turns clockwise or counterclockwise and does not seem to have a stop in either direction, I took the cap off of the button and you can see it only has a white stem that was underneath the cap, no spring. It has 4 wires coming from it and they go into a little black box that is shown in the one picture. I do not have heated grips or seat. I bought the bike used so maybe at one time it did but I don't know that. The grips look stock and when I have removed the seat, I did not see a wire or plug for a heated seat.

Thanks for the help!

Ride On

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another correction, my son counted 4 wires, there are actually only two, also it is an adjustable button that does have a start and stop when you turn it clockwise and counterclockwise.

So, could it possibly be a button that adjusts the panel lights that illuminate all the controls on your handle bars?

Whatever it is, I have not figured out if they work or not.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Another correction, my son counted 4 wires, there are actually only two, also it is an adjustable button that does have a start and stop when you turn it clockwise and counterclockwise.

So, could it possibly be a button that adjusts the panel lights that illuminate all the controls on your handle bars?

Whatever it is, I have not figured out if they work or not.
See post #3 above. The switch, bracket and wire colors are exactly like the Rivco setup I had.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Big_Bear, I think you could be right. The question is, and I am not the greatest one for wiring problems, they don't work. How would go about tracing or figuring out how to make them work?

Greatly appreciate any thoughts on tracing the problem down.

Ride On

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
We all know that the Wing is by far the most modified Japanese bike out there. If I were buying a used one, the very first thing I would do when going over the bike for a safety check is to start identifying every single piece of aftermarket wiring on the bike and probably rewiring everything that stays. Most of the wiring I have seen done to these bikes over the years is downright scary.

Trace that wiring down, and if it doesn't seem to serve a purpose, rip it out. And remember, that control is just what you can see. If you haven't had your seat off yet, you might be in for quite a surprise.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
That is the electronic bias for your Q-36 Space Modulator.

prs

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Looks like it's time to put your bike in the garage with the lights out. Then turn your key on and rotate the knob, to see if any lights become dimmer or brighter.

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
MAYBE OLD OWNER HAD HEATED SEAT/ GEAR AND TOOK OFF FOR SALE ?? TOUCH WIRES TOGETHER N SEE WHAT FUSE BLOWS !! :surprise::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,571 Posts
See post #3 above. The switch, bracket and wire colors are exactly like the Rivco setup I had.
The Rivco lighted panels were black and the picture shows the OEM panel on the handlebar controls...plus the switch with the Rivco lighted panels didn't look so sloppy with bare wires showing.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The Rivco lighted panels were black and the picture shows the OEM panel on the handlebar controls...plus the switch with the Rivco lighted panels didn't look so sloppy with bare wires showing.

Actually if you look at the photo in the link provided by Slolane, the knob and wiring is dead on with the Rivco lighted gauge kit. And I have had many black items that after being exposed to years of sunlight, are no longer the original black and more of a faded gray. I would say that the mystery is solved. Now it's just a question of does the Ruvco lighted gauge kit still work...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
maybe old owner had heated seat/ gear and took off for sale ?? Touch wires together n see what fuse blows !! :surprise::laugh::laugh:
lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts