GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my previous bikes, especially the ST1300, I had always found there was a specific Powerlet option for that bike. For instance there was a dual Powerlet bracket that installed near the side of the seat of the ST. I’ve had a Powerlet heated liner forever it seams. Don’t know if they still make them. Well I’ve been hemming and hawing about how to get my jacket liner running on the Wing. Then I found this 10$ connector on Amazon that goes onto the battery tender cable (which I had put on when I got the Wing) and has a Powerlet female connector. No plug needed. I was overjoyed. No need to attach any brackets or, God forbid, no drilling any of the plastic! Had an hour drive and back for a school function for my son’s alma mater High School tonight and got to see if the setup works. It does! Especially on the ride home in 50 degree weather. It was nice not to be weighted down by layers, just my jacket and the liner. My Goldwing experience has just bumped up a notch!

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Sweeeeeeet thank you, I do believe you may have just bummmmmp'd up my cold weather ride'n experience, up another notch also.....(y):cool:

Ronnie
11/24/22

Reactions: jeff123

·
Registered
658 Posts
OP said he bought an adapter with Powerlet female connector, not the coax connector pictured in post 3. I’d like to see a picture of the Powerlet adapter and where he mounted it, please.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
OP said he bought an adapter with Powerlet female connector, not the coax connector pictured in post 3. I’d like to see a picture of the Powerlet adapter and where he mounted it, please.
Powerlet connected heated gear is probably very old stuff. My original Aerostich Unobtanium jacket from 20 years ago has Powerlet fittings but the Gerbings and Warm N Safe gear since then came with coax fittings.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Not really enough current handling capability, bur they do work till they don't
I think it's because heated gear harnesses come with a fused positive and are rated to 15-20 amps but many SAE battery tender connections are installed unfused. The heated gear mfgs warn against using any harness but their own for circuit protection and liability reasons.

INSTALLATION OF BATTERY HARNESS - KEY CONSIDERATIONS

• Refer to the Seat and Battery sections of the motorcycle’s manual for installing the Battery Harness.
  • Disconnect the battery cables (negative cables first) when beginning installation.
  • We strongly recommend always using a Gerbing Battery Harness.
  • Each person should use their own Battery Harness, as well as have their own power cord and controller. Separate heated garments being used by two individuals must not be interlinked to share one Battery Harness.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,953 Posts
If I needed heated gear-I would consider the Milwaukee Battery heated vests
Why not just buy the wired heated gear that is more powerful with a unlimited power source. You can use a battery pack with heated gear for uses other than riding a motorcycle, but for riding a motorcycle battery powered heated gear is a poor choice.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I went the opposite way…. I put the SAE/Coax heated jacket connector on the bike and have a battery tender adapter to plug in when I use a battery charger.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Goldwing DCT Bagger
54 Posts
I think it's because heated gear harnesses come with a fused positive and are rated to 15-20 amps but many SAE battery tender connections are installed unfused. The heated gear mfgs warn against using any harness but their own for circuit protection and liability reasons.

INSTALLATION OF BATTERY HARNESS - KEY CONSIDERATIONS

• Refer to the Seat and Battery sections of the motorcycle’s manual for installing the Battery Harness.
  • Disconnect the battery cables (negative cables first) when beginning installation.
  • We strongly recommend always using a Gerbing Battery Harness.
  • Each person should use their own Battery Harness, as well as have their own power cord and controller. Separate heated garments being used by two individuals must not be interlinked to share one Battery Harness.
This diagram and information is exactly right. Up here in Washington I have been using Gerbing (doesnt really matter which 12v brand you use) heated gear for over a decade on several different bikes and they require a fuseable link on the positive side for your heated gear, just adding an adapter to a non fused harness is not a good idea. Use the proper harness for your gear and then get an adapter for your battery tender. These current Goldwings batteries are super accessible, much more so than the Harleys.
Checkout The Warming Store or Warm and Safe

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You guys are both right. I first ordered the Powerlet battery tender to female Powerlet OUTLET which I had to plug into then attach my liner to the plug. With the first poster without the plug, just the connector, I can just attach straight to the liner from the tender lead.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts