GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found corroded ground wire while installing fuse box.

I found the engine ground wire on the left cylinder head corroded. The right side was not as bad. I just had the gas tank out doing an ABS repair, I believe I could have replaced the wire while the tank was out.
But now the tank is back in I did the next best thing, added a 8-gauge wire from the head to the battery. The bolts had corrosion also, cleaned threads and replaced bolts, dielectric grease.

Here is photo of the fuse box and the ground wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
That was a good idea/and smart, cause not only did you save money, you may have saved yourself bigger problems "down the rode" (get it? this was a "play on words")

Ronnie

Reactions: rtbmrgl

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
Where you having any issues ???

5th gens from 2006+ really don't have ground issues like the ones from 2001-05. Honda basically over grounded them by adding a 2 bolt ground mount at the starter, and adding ground cables at each head.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where you having any issues ???

5th gens from 2006+ really don't have ground issues like the ones from 2001-05. Honda basically over grounded them by adding a 2 bolt ground mount at the starter, and adding ground cables at each head.

No Greg, no issues, just corrosion on the wire and bolt. Like you said there a probably enough grounds to cover any one bad area.

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
No Greg, no issues, just corrosion on the wire and bolt. Like you said there a probably enough grounds to cover any one bad area.
Not sure that I've seen corrosion on the ground cables, but many of the engines that I pull have corrosion on the bolts. Could the corrosion on the cable be coolant ??? It would show as blue or green. Actually, as I write this, and since it not near the battery, you probably have a coolant leak there.

To test:
- pressure test the system 6-8psi for at least 4 hours
- pressure test the system 16-20psi for at least 4 hours
- don't forget to pressure test the radiator cap too

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure that I've seen corrosion on the ground cables, but many of the engines that I pull have corrosion on the bolts. Could the corrosion on the cable be coolant ??? It would show as blue or green. Actually, as I write this, and since it not near the battery, you probably have a coolant leak there.

To test:
- pressure test the system 6-8psi for at least 4 hours
- pressure test the system 16-20psi for at least 4 hours
- don't forget to pressure test the radiator cap too
There is corrosion on the ground bolts.
The 4 months Iv'e owned there has been no coolant loss, no evidence of leaks.. I looked around with the gas tank out and underneath the engine, I have not pressure checked the system. The corrosion color is white, on bolt and wire, same on both sides of the engine. It appears to be electrolysis.

One note I haven't mentioned, I believe it was stored in a wet area, as the rear boot smelled of mold. It was dry in there but stunk. So that may account for the wire corrosion. Its a California bike but I think they lived up in them thar hills. :wink2:

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, what year model is your bike? The engine ground I remember is on the right cylinder head, not the left, so I'm a little confused by your photos.
Hey Fred, its a 2006, there is a ground wire on both cylinders heads. Looking at the parts diagram it appears the battery ground cable connects to both heads.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Hey Fred, its a 2006, there is a ground wire on both cylinders heads. Looking at the parts diagram it appears the battery ground cable connects to both heads.

Ok, that explains it then, I was thinking it was a later model bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts