GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in sears doing a little Christmas shopping, when all of a sudden coming down the escalator, I spotted their boot sale. Everything was on sale, Wolverines, Timberland....

Tried on Wolverines (50% off) and nope, could feel the steel toe digging in, that wouldn't do.

Then $49.95 caught my eye. Picked up a pair of 8" size 13 "Roebucks". They were too big! Got the guy to get me a pair of size 12's, slipped on and comfortable! whoooo doggies!
So, Slip resistant, waterproof, thinsulate insulation (400), 8" tall, tan, all for $49.95.

Now I know some of you said to check out cruiserworks, but at $250 to start, I think I got a better deal, about 5 pairs of boots worth.

At least my ankles are now protected and the sneakers are off until spring!

G

·
I agree with you Chef. My boots are hiking boots, not biking boots. As soon as you attach "motorcycle" to some products, they double the price. You can get good equipment without it being specifically for the bike. Sounds like you just got yourself a great deal.

Edit...my experience.
My hiking boots are made by Merryl (sp?). They are water proof and very comfy. I'm in them 12 hours a day (ride to work everyday, wear them at work, wear them at home). They're nearly 2 years old and in great shape. Paid $100.

·
Registered
237 Posts
boots

I can agree and disagree. Let us know how they feel after walking around a rally for 8-10 hours. I guess I'm partial to Cruiserboots because of the all around quaility. I have arthritis real bad in my feet and for me Cruiserboots work great. I can walk in them all day, my feet stay dry in the rain, cool in the heat and warm in the cold. I've had them 3 years now and just had them resoled/heeled at Cruiserworks for a the small fee of $40.00. They look just like new. Of course this is JMHO!!!! :D

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have a pair of Danner 9" leather hunting boots with 400 grams of thinsulate that I wear all the time, summer and winter. Soo far I have not been uncomfortable in the summer and they are working so far this winter. Of courst I haven't been riding when it gets below 45-50 degrees.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I gotta agree on the price thing.

Soon as 'motorcycle " is part of the description the price jumps 300%

We were out winging it saturday afternoon and my wife wanted to stop at a "BIG 5 Sports" store to look for riding/hiking boots for her..... I thought (to myself) WTF for.

Well, we found some boots she likes and fit her little size 7 feet well. A good price too

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I got my boots at WALLY-WORLD, They are "HERMAN SURVIVORS® Commander"

The only way to describe them is this: They look very much like military jungle boots, they are VERY comfortable

and they were cheap to, $39 or so

·
Registered
229 Posts
I got my boots at a Rally in Ruidoso NM last spring. They call them SWAT boots. They are comfortable and have great grip but are far from waterproof. They are lace up type, about 9" high and have a zipper up the side (easy on, easy off) I paid $79.95

·
Registered
617 Posts
My Boots

http://www.newenglandshoe.com/magnum.asp
I wear the 1200s for about 14-15 hours each day. I ride with them (they go to just above the ankle) and I do 3-mile walks for lunch in them. They are VERY comfortable and my feet never get tired or ache like they do in other shoes.
I got them at the place above the first time, then got a second pair at the PX. (I'm retired ARMY.) The price was about the same both places. I don't mind spending $50-or so dollars for a pair of waterproof boots once a year. (I wouldn't have to replace them so often if I didn't do the long walks.)
The usual disclaimers apply. I'm just a very satisfied customer of the Magnum boots.

·
Registered
53 Posts
SIDI

I have found out my Triumph boots are waterproof until they get wet so went to SIDI Sympatex GT and they are totally waterproof and very comfortable. They are a little pricey but the first 300 mile rain ride and they seem cheap.

·
Registered
21,335 Posts
after reading all the great reports on cruiserworks boots I decided to check them out at wingding,they were so busy I had to go back 3 times before getting a chance to try them on. Everyone has different shaped feet but cruiserworks boots sure didn't work for me and then add in the price$$$$!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I love my Red Wing engineer boots, steel toe, rubber sole and heel and water proof. About $150 and well worth the price. In fact I have two pair. I wear them all year long.

·
Chard Member
13,219 Posts
Doesn't anyone wear harness boots or combat boots any longer? Am I that many years behind the times? :cry: That's the only boots I can remember wearing in the last 38 years. But ther again, Pop-A-Top doesn't think I own any shoes or boots! LOL...

G

·
Boots

I went the Wally World route too. The Hermann Survivors Commander is a good boot for riding. It's leather and Cordura, very comfy, and only $39.00 per pair. The soles are nice and sticky on most every surface (ice is kinda tough) and there's a nice hollow spot between the heel and foresole that fits the pegs just right. I've worn them from 25 degrees up to about 90 degrees with only adjustments in socks for the temperature. I wear a strange size (9 1/2 EEEE) and have found that most of the riding boot companys think foot width stops at "D". These are nice and wide with extra room for cushy socks. I was thinking I'd pick up a pair of these to "tide me over" 'till I found some "good boots", but never looked back. I'm sure they're not waterproof, but they are water resistant. I don't ride in the rain much anyway.

That's my $0.02 ($0.015 after applicable taxes)

- Rob (from Hoosierville) :s27:

G

·
I, too, got caught up with the hype about Cruiserworks. I most certainly won't purchase a second pair ... the fit and finish are not aligned with pricing ... rather disappointing. I have yet to test the waterproof claim but if it is sub-par then the Salvation Army gets a donation. My recommendation is to shop the brick and mortar stores for shoes/boots and helmets or other potentials where fit is important to comfort. Whether it $49 or $490 it needs to work for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good Boots

:lol: I bought a pair of boots from CycleXtras at Springfield this year. VERY comfortable, VERY waterproof (have I told you how much I DON'T like riding in the rain?). After having soaked feet wearing Rocky 911 boots for one trip I decided something better had to be out there. Cruiserwors didn't work for me,and they were a bit pricey. These boots are high topped, have velcro straps and a velcro closure onn the wrap around top. I LOVE my new boots.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts