GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 8,000 miles. And 4,000 miles since service last fall. I know, I don't ride it enough. LOL Anyway, we are attending the ICBTC in Nashville in three weeks. Decided to get her serviced with fresh oil and filter. And to have the trike fully serviced. Got a call yesterday to inform me to pull the drive shaft was a three hour job. At $80/hr., I hesitated, but gave them the go ahead. Got another call this afternoon, drive shaft was worn down and needed to be replaced. CSC ok'd the repair, everything was warrantied. Service writer said it is all new parts that are different than mine. Some changes were made. He didn't elaborate. I'll know more when I see the bill I guess. 8,000 miles and I don't abuse my baby. Upset? Yes. But glad they found it before it failed on the road. :22yikes: Tom :biker:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tango

I'd really like to know what they specifically did. What are the new parts that are so different. Also, hate to say this but three hours to pull and replace the driveshaft seems a bit much. I can pull it, clean the splines, re-grease everything and re-install in under two hours, and I'm a back yard mechanic.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tango

I'd really like to know what they specifically did. What are the new parts that are so different. Also, hate to say this but three hours to pull and replace the driveshaft seems a bit much. I can pull it, clean the splines, re-grease everything and re-install in under two hours, and I'm a back yard mechanic.
Will post when I find out what they did. As for the 3 hours to remove and replace? I will venture a guess that is the "book time". When you foot the bill, everything is by the book. :wrong: Tom :biker:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Got a call yesterday to inform me to pull the drive shaft was a three hour job. At $80/hr., I hesitated, but gave them the go ahead. Got another call this afternoon, drive shaft was worn down and needed to be replaced. CSC ok'd the repair, everything was warrantied. Service writer said it is all new parts that are different than mine. Some changes were made. He didn't elaborate. I'll know more when I see the bill I guess. 8,000 miles and I don't abuse my baby. Upset? Yes. But glad they found it before it failed on the road.
Tom, I'm sorry for your misfortune. You have about the least mileage that I’ve heard shearing. However, now there will NOT be that little thought in the back of your mind every time you hear an unusual noise. Try to relax on your ride to Nashville.

Now about the three hour job! I'm so happy that your warranty is taking care of the cost. You were right about the “book time”. I can assure you that CSC will not pay your installer/dealership for three hours of labor. They’ll pay him about $40.00 for the entire job. This is straight from an installer, who I just called, who has already collected payment for two replacements. Your dealer was going to pick your pocket. When Randall replaced his, it took him less than an hour; and he smokes. If this had not been warranted, your dealer was going to hose you.

Tom, you’re a perfect example why I’ve been so dedicated in getting the word to the CSC owners. Why don’t you take the torch and go with it? For some reason, some think that I have a vendetta against CSC. Some owners are tired of hearing me preach. If a CSC owner would take the torch, I would stop.

I consider you one more CSC owner who’s not likely to break down. Please remember Tom, several fixed GEN. 2 trikes have broken down, even after being fixed: the collar and spring modifications changes nothing about why the driveshaft is shearing. It’s only buying you time, and allowing CSC to sell more trikes. Remember Tony telling Bill in Sturgis that the problem was the dealers/installers? If what Tony said is true, why doesn’t CSC send one of their techs to your dealer/installer, with the replacement parts, and fix your trike? That way you wouldn’t have to worry anymore. The reason Tom, is that CSC knows that their techs can’t replace your defective driveshaft any better than your dealer/installer. The issue is not the installer, it’s the design & engineering of the driveline.

We're all looking forward to meeting you and Ali in a few weeks.

Ride safe,

Wayne

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The new parts I've seen are a carbon fiber collar instead of metal, both are made the same. And the rubber spacer has some small slits in between the bolt holes. Nothing else has changed. I pulled my drive shaft after over 40,00 miles and it was good. Still had grease on the splines and no wear.

I see no need for the passing of the torch Wayne, no matter who posts they are going to get hammered. I for one would like to see the torch dropped in a bucket of water. But that's just me.

·
Registered
937 Posts
<< Got a call yesterday to inform me to pull the drive shaft was a three hour job. At $80/hr>>

Who was doing the repair ? Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles ?

·
Registered
734 Posts
My installer/dealer pull the drive shaft, inspected and greased both u-joints, then reinstalled the shaft on my Moto Trike Adventure in less then 45 minutes. Can't believe the CSC would be all that much harder. Interesting........ :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
<< Got a call yesterday to inform me to pull the drive shaft was a three hour job. At $80/hr>>

Who was doing the repair ? Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles ?
Ray Charles is deceased. It takes Stevie longer by himself.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Tango, glade u did not have a issue on the road and CSC paid for the repairs. Hope u are good to go now.

Last Monday had the upgrade (improvement, who knows ?) collar and spring put on. The Collar was metal and is in 2 parts that are screwed together. So either they have 2 different types of collars or the non-metal one just came out. Mine was ordered about 6 weeks back. The spring was smaller than the original. It took about a hour and a half to remove and replace. He had never done one before and had so had some issues (the regular installer was unavailable so a newer mechanic did the install). I would say it should have taken less than a hour. Was charged $40 for the labor and parts we another 42.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be foolish for anyone with a CSC not to have a full inspection done IMHO. Completely pull the drive shaft is the only way to go. If anything, you will have piece of mind. :thumbup: Hey it's only money. And if they catch it ahead of time, at least your home. And remember, I HAD NO SYMPTONS! Tom :biker:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Tom,
Just out of curiosity, did your dealer say what was wrong? Or could they determine why? Was it lack of grease on the shaft splines, a broken part...or even which part?
And I'll add my voice to those crying "gouge". I am not much of a mechanic and I can pull the entire driveline, grease it and reinstall it in much less than three hours. Of course, I have the older angled driveline. But still, witht he right equipment I can't imagine it taking three hours.
Good luck and glad (#1) CSC is honoring their warranty and (#2) you found the problem before your trip.
Bill

·
Registered
197 Posts
The new parts I've seen are a carbon fiber collar instead of metal, both are made the same. And the rubber spacer has some small slits in between the bolt holes. Nothing else has changed. I pulled my drive shaft after over 40,00 miles and it was good. Still had grease on the splines and no wear.

I see no need for the passing of the torch Wayne, no matter who posts they are going to get hammered. I for one would like to see the torch dropped in a bucket of water. But that's just me.

:agree:Had mine checked and it was perfect condition ZERO WEAR, why is that at near 25k in a year? I someone can answer that I will sell the TRIKE! Tourchs have a way of getting folks burned! JMHO nuttin more!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
:agree:Had mine checked and it was perfect condition ZERO WEAR, why is that at near 25k in a year? I someone can answer that I will sell the TRIKE! Tourchs have a way of getting folks burned! JMHO nuttin more!
Hey Bob, are you the guy who sent me the following PM?

RDOUGHE963 said:
and get in the middle of this but what part would you carry with you so as to be in a position to repair this issue while in the boonies? is it that propeller short shaft joint ? me no gots a problem but hate to not have somethin small in the bag incase I ever did need it? if you know I would appreciate your input!:thumbup:
The reason I ask is that you are coming across on the board as one mighty confident CSC owner, but behind the board's back, you are asking me what parts you should purchase and take with you to Alaska. Sounds like you are playing it both ways.

And your second PM to me was:

RDOUGHE963 said:
....I have 25k on her now and will get and travel with the part headed back to alaska next year and dont want to be in bum [email protected]# it it happens to go
ist this the part?
So Bob, if you're so sure you're safe from one of those CSC 2nd Gen. failures, why are you writing me PM's asking about the parts you'd need to carry on your trip to Alaska to fix your "if and when" breakdown? This might look to some that your sitting on the fence. BTW, what did that driveshaft cost?

Rest assured Bob, you aren't the only CSC owner who has contacted me for some "confidential" information. You won't be the last.

Ride safe,

Wayne

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey Bob, are you the guy who sent me the following PM?

The reason I ask is that you are coming across on the board as one mighty confident CSC owner, but behind the board's back, you are asking me what parts you should purchase and take with you to Alaska. Sounds like you are playing it both ways.

And your second PM to me was:

So Bob, if you're so sure you're safe from one of those CSC 2nd Gen. failures, why are you writing me PM's asking about the parts you'd need to carry on your trip to Alaska to fix your "if and when" breakdown? This might look to some that your sitting on the fence. BTW, what did that driveshaft cost?

Rest assured Bob, you aren't the only CSC owner who has contacted me for some "confidential" information. You won't be the last.

Ride safe,

Wayne

YUP no sense buggerin the board up with info about a pic, and yes I have one extra in my trunk right now,,,,because if something happens in the YUKON not much choice but to wrench yourself, of course you are in MEMPHIS so not going to such places you probably do not know how isolated they are, no dealers, no shops, no mechanics, wayne I am thinking YOU REALLY HAVE AN AXE TO GRIND, its not healthy my friend to harbor such, it will eat you from the inside out, may take awhile but eventually the IRHARRY effect gets you, be safe and enjoy your self appointed HEAD OF CSC ENGINEERRING, but can you explain why when they pulled mine it was PERFECT? Given your vast experience with CSC machines I am sure you know!:nojoke:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
wasaw wrote in part, "For some reason, some think that I have a vendetta against CSC. Some owners are tired of hearing me preach. If a CSC owner would take the torch, I would stop."

I understand that you are trying to help but at the same time wonder why you feel obligated to take on CSC though you don't own one. From what I gather, the company has been at least as responsive as most and most owners appear to be happy with their choice.

Tom, I'm sorry for your misfortune. You have about the least mileage that I’ve heard shearing. However, now there will NOT be that little thought in the back of your mind every time you hear an unusual noise. Try to relax on your ride to Nashville.

Now about the three hour job! I'm so happy that your warranty is taking care of the cost. You were right about the “book time”. I can assure you that CSC will not pay your installer/dealership for three hours of labor. They’ll pay him about $40.00 for the entire job. This is straight from an installer, who I just called, who has already collected payment for two replacements. Your dealer was going to pick your pocket. When Randall replaced his, it took him less than an hour; and he smokes. If this had not been warranted, your dealer was going to hose you.

Tom, you’re a perfect example why I’ve been so dedicated in getting the word to the CSC owners. Why don’t you take the torch and go with it? For some reason, some think that I have a vendetta against CSC. Some owners are tired of hearing me preach. If a CSC owner would take the torch, I would stop.

I consider you one more CSC owner who’s not likely to break down. Please remember Tom, several fixed GEN. 2 trikes have broken down, even after being fixed: the collar and spring modifications changes nothing about why the driveshaft is shearing. It’s only buying you time, and allowing CSC to sell more trikes. Remember Tony telling Bill in Sturgis that the problem was the dealers/installers? If what Tony said is true, why doesn’t CSC send one of their techs to your dealer/installer, with the replacement parts, and fix your trike? That way you wouldn’t have to worry anymore. The reason Tom, is that CSC knows that their techs can’t replace your defective driveshaft any better than your dealer/installer. The issue is not the installer, it’s the design & engineering of the driveline.

We're all looking forward to meeting you and Ali in a few weeks.

Ride safe,

Wayne

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Ben,

I wonder why you, since you don't now or have ever owned a CSC, or any trike for some time, feel the need to dig up a two day old post on a subject that has obviously become a sore spot on the board. With this and your postings to the CSC poll thread I would question your goal. Why not let those involved either continue the discussion or bury their heads in the sand as they choose and the rest of us just let it alone. :thumbup:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Ben,

I wonder why you, since you don't now or have ever owned a CSC, or any trike for some time, feel the need to dig up a two day old post on a subject that has obviously become a sore spot on the board. With this and your postings to the CSC poll thread I would question your goal. Why not let those involved either continue the discussion or bury their heads in the sand as they choose and the rest of us just let it alone. :thumbup:

Goodness gracious. I read the thread and offered my thoughts. That's verboten?

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
Goodness gracious. I read the thread and offered my thoughts. That's verboten?
I am with you Ben, this site has gone bonkers!!!! Seems like the water has been spiked with Amsoil or something :joke:... Everyone wants to determine who can post or not post on a subject and then they critique the post afterwards. What in the world has happened?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stopped by the dealer today to see my baby. The tech showed me the CSC drive shaft that needs to be replaced. The splines had started to twist and a ridge started that you could feel. The twist was faint, but there. Would not show up in pics, so I have none to post. A new shaft, spring and joint cover are on the way. The cover is supposed to hold in the grease. He feels there should be a grease fitting there also. But it's not his call. He also feels an additional universal joint might be a good idea. Again, not his call. Should get her back this week. He's also going to do a 2012 CSC Viper shortly. It's already sold. That's it for now. Tom :biker:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
You and I have committed the unpardonable sin of daring to consider other brands of bikes/trikes, ...just for starters. ;)

I am with you Ben, this site has gone bonkers!!!! Seems like the water has been spiked with Amsoil or something :joke:... Everyone wants to determine who can post or not post on a subject and then they critique the post afterwards. What in the world has happened?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts