GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much trial and tribulation I have found the guilty party. Multiple tire changes and new front wheel bearings did not solve the noise problem so I then started looking at the not so obvious places. Put the bike back on the lift table and removed the rear CT so I could rotate the final drive without hearing the Dyna Beads rolling around inside. As soon as I did this I knew I had found my culprit. It is amazing how a noise from the rear could sound so much like it is coming from the front. All it took to fix was a couple of hours of wrenching and a $10 trike take off to correct. I have replaced a lot of final drives over the years and never replaced a properly maintained one with only 65K on the clock. I also learned something during this process. I think you will hear it too in the video.

·
Administrator
4,580 Posts
A.) Glad you figured out what the problem was, and;
B.) Glad it wasn't the BT-45. Got one sitting in the basement ready to go on this summer

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
After much trial and tribulation I have found the guilty party. Multiple tire changes and new front wheel bearings did not solve the noise problem so I then started looking at the not so obvious places. Put the bike back on the lift table and removed the rear CT so I could rotate the final drive without hearing the Dyna Beads rolling around inside. As soon as I did this I knew I had found my culprit. It is amazing how a noise from the rear could sound so much like it is coming from the front. All it took to fix was a couple of hours of wrenching and a $10 trike take off to correct. I have replaced a lot of final drives over the years and never replaced a properly maintained one with only 65K on the clock. I also learned something during this process. I think you will hear it too in the video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4BuFB4d5Ho&feature=youtu.be

Glad you got it fixed. I found out a long time ago that you can't tell where a sound is coming from on a bike with a fairing. It seems like it "shifts" sounds around, and it makes it nearly impossible to tell where they are produced. It's a strange phenomena. And it WILL drive you crazy:laugh:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
WOW! A big difference! Glad you found it!
There's nothing more aggravating then a noise that's not supposed to be there..........

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Hey Bob my properly maintained final drive went out @ 40K mi !!! I wanted to shoot that bike, we where 450 mi from home, I just retired, it was my B'day!! & the SOB fell apart..!!! we made it home, the rear sounded like a coffee grinder w/ rocks in it !!
Prior to the final drive change -out I always noticed some "Glitter" in the old oil, ( a tell-tale) & I run Mobil 1 75-90 gear oil, but, the bike just turned 125K mi on it yesterday.
So it's ok.. :)

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I knew you’d find it. Wouldn’t it have been something to put the camera right down by it as you rode down the road??

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Sounds like GW final drives are hit and miss. Might get 200,000 out of one, then 40,000 out of another.

How many miles did you ride the bike with the FD singing the way it is?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I always wear ear plugs at hi way speeds. It worries me a little that I’ll miss a sound like that because of them.

Anyway thanks for the update.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like GW final drives are hit and miss. Might get 200,000 out of one, then 40,000 out of another.

I started hearing it about 200 miles short of home returning from DV. I have put about another 200 or so on the bike trying to figure it out. And yes it is a crap shoot. I have a friend that has over 200k on his '05 and has never changed the final drive oil.

Reactions: CAWing and JoeHall

·
Registered
8,049 Posts

I sold my '01 with 167,500 smiles on the clock and it still had the original FD under it and it was as quiet as a church :rat: when I sold it. I did buy a trike take off at 95,000 mi to keep for my spare as it was cheap insurance.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Good you found this before it let you down far away from home.

The horrible "transmission" noise coming out of my little Cheby Cruise last week turned out to be a right front wheel bearing instead. And even though the stealership charged a 500+ percent markup on the bearing part, I considered myself lucky that it wasn't the transmission after all. The hardest part for me to choke down was my own misdiagnosis and/or failed hearing.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sold my '01 with 167,500 smiles on the clock and it still had the original FD under it and it was as quiet as a church :rat: when I sold it. I did buy a trike take off at 95,000 mi to keep for my spare as it was cheap insurance.
When I sold my '01 it had the original FD and alternator in it also but I let the new owner have a spare trike take off and a brand new OEM alternator go with it. Last time I talked to him he had not used either one of them yet.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Glad you found that.:thumbup: And thanks for sharing!

I have a mechanics stethoscope and it really helps isolate noises, I also over the years have acquired spare parts to have ready, boxed and on hand when I'm out on a weeks long tour.
Box - A is a new trike take off final drive. Box - B is a propeller shaft - drive shaft. Box C is a alternator.
I figure any issues with these, I won't have to wait on a local dealer or supply. Just have them overnighted to where ever I am.
In fact I helped buddy last year when his alternator pooped out in the middle of Idaho.
Fortunately I have never needed these, and if I get away from Goldwing's, I can sell this stuff for at least what I have invested in them.

:capwin:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have also been told that running an automobile tire on the rear of a gold wing will burn out or wear out the final drive much faster than the stock tire. Are there any comments on this remark?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I have also been told that running an automobile tire on the rear of a gold wing will burn out or wear out the final drive much faster than the stock tire. Are there any comments on this remark?
Nope. Just the naysayers doing what naysayers do. 240k on mine and I finally changed it just because I had it. 130k on this one, all 370k on CT...

:thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts