GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,
As we all know, the four way flasher or, "emergency" flashers are great if and when you need them to warn other people/drivers you're potentially stranded or have some sort of problem that caused you to park along side the road or whatever. But, I didn't know some operational characteristics of them 'till tonight. Show's ya how much I'm up on the total operation of my bike huh?

Anyway, I had hooked up my trailer to do some light testing and after I'd tested the running lights, each turn signal and the brakes, I flipped on the four way flashers. Now mind you, this was all with the ignition ON. The flashers were all working as they should, bike and trailer. But, I decided that there was no need for the ignition so, I set the knob to ACC. When I did that, the flashers remained ON but, the trailer running lights turned OFF.

Hmmm. So, I kept the flashers ON and turned the ignition back ON. Yep, the trailer running lights came back ON, as they should. Now, just for an experiment, I turned the ignition OFF. When I did that, the trailer running lights AND the flashers turned OFF. But, the bike flashers remained ON. Hmmmm. One more part of this test was, I turned the flashers OFF on the bike and they went OFF, as they should. But, BUT, and maybe most of you know this, if you try and turn the flashers ON without the ignition ON, the flashers will not flash.

With the ignition ON, the flashers will activate if the switch is pushed and they will remain ON, even when the ignition is turned OFF. But they cannot be activated if the ignition is OFF.

Here's a hint on some history here. I have the Pathfinder Isolation Distribution hub installed which, controls all auxiliary lighting, including the trailers running lights and turn lights. As I'm to understand things, that Pathfinder hub needs to see ignition in order for it to function and send signals where they're supposed to go. So, as far as I can tell, everything in terms of lights and 4-way flashers is functioning as they're supposed to. I just have to remember that if and or when I might be traveling at night and develop a problem and need the flashers, the trailer flashers do work on ACC but no running lights.
Scott

· Registered
10,617 Posts
Correct. Previous bikes you had to keep the ignition or accessories on to keep flashers going, which was a big power drain. For the 18+ Honda designed the flashers to stay on with the rest of the bike powered down - big safety improvement. The trailer flashers stopped because with the bike off there is no power to the isolator - hence no power to the trailer lights.

· Registered
3,554 Posts
My 2010 flashers operate like the 2018+, must be "On" or "ACC" to turn on flashers, but they remain on with the ignition turned Off waiting for you to actively turn off the flashers. However, I wired my own relay just prior to the OEM flasher that will self hold active 4-way flashers until turned off. A huge diode prevents back feeding power to the On circuit when the key is off for active flashers. Now, will they give me trailer flashers with the bike off.....? Yes, what I have on both 2010 and 2018 for trailer wire (they are isolated) will pass current to right and left of the trailer. My Tailwind will also happily flash its lights from that as long as its battery is not dead. I keep it on a battery tender, so unless old, should not be dead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts