GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a very slow coolant leak and thought it was a result of my ECM update.

So I decided to change the air filter, coolant and find that leak.

Turns out, the water pump hose and next inline 'T' hose clamps were loose
and needed a lot of tighting. I had to remove the hose to reposition the
hose clamps to be able to tighten them.

Here is the fuel tank part. To get to the hose you must (if you have very small hands and tons of patience you can lift w/o remove) remove the fuel tank. Well my siphon would not get the last 2.5 gal out for some reason so I pulled the fuel pump off.. The gasket has swollen so much that it can not be reinstalled. Now I have to wait until a dealer opens and can order me a new one. So have a gasket standing by if you ever pull the fuel pump.

:( :? :x

Jay

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Did you try a local auto parts store for the gasket? There is a good chance that it is a standard gasket that fits most Honda cars.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
For those doing it next you don't have to remove the Fuel Pump to pull the tank. The High Pressure Feed Hose is connected at a L fitting that can be removed and all that will be needed is a simple O ring under the 2 bolt flange. The flange could use either 8mm or 6mm bolts depending on the model year. The O ring is
O-RING (7.52X3.53)... 1 1A 2 2A 3 3A ------ 1 17530-MCA-000 6617989]

17530-MCA-000 O-RING (7.52X3.53) $2.64 or $1.93 @ HDL

The Fuel Return line is a simple slip fit with a hose clamp that can be opened with pliers.

You probably won't be able to siphon much fuel out of the return line but if you really need to get that last 2 gal or so out a simple method to empty the Fuel Tank would be to put a longer line on the end of the Return Line and feed it into your large Gas Can. That is the point where you do a Fuel Volume Test by taking off the Return Line and measuring the Volume of Fuel over Time. Just prolong the time 'till the tank is empty. The Fuel Volume Test has you put the Return Line into a safe container and turn on the Ignition - WITHOUT Starting the Engine - to allow the Fuel Pump to run. That pump normaly puts out over 60-PSI at a fairly good clip to keep the Fuel Rails full at 40 to 50 PSI as regulated by the Fuel Pressure Regulator that returns the excess fuel via the Return Line. It shouldn't take too long but use common sense.

Of course all that requires care not to ignite the Fuel and NO Smoking!!
You will luck out and be able to order the Main Fuel Pump Gasket

GASKET, BASE ... 1 1A 2 2A 3 3A ----- 1 17574-MCA-003 6537302

Unlike most other Honda systems that gasket is available without buying the whole da##d thing. 8)
17574-MCA-003 GASKET, BASE $11.95 or $8.76 @ HDL

Good luck finding one in stock, I'll bet it won't be. :(
But you could probably get it Overnight from HDL if you want to double the $$ for it. The local Dealer might be able to do that too if you ask nicely with $$$$$$.

Or do what was suggested and try the Auto Dealers. They tend to be much lower priced than the M/C Dealers on the same parts.

Jerry

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Fuel Tank Removal

I have removed my gas tank about 6 or seven times already. Never had to pull the fuel pump, just removed the lines to it. I have never even had to replace the O ring, and it doesn't leak a drop. I have even removed it once with a full tank (just be sure to plug all the holes if you do this or you'll have a mess).

The whole photo series is here: http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/gastank

·
Registered
211 Posts
Fred,

Don't know if you are still following these threads or no. What did you clean the area under the fuel tank with. It looks spotless. I am about to re-check my coolant lines as I have been smelling coolant once the engine gets hot. Have not had any drips so I am suspecting that there is simply a slight weeping going on around the fittings. While i am in their I want to clean everything the way you have.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Fred,

Don't know if you are still following these threads or no. What did you clean the area under the fuel tank with. It looks spotless. I am about to re-check my coolant lines as I have been smelling coolant once the engine gets hot. Have not had any drips so I am suspecting that there is simply a slight weeping going on around the fittings. While i am in their I want to clean everything the way you have.
First I sponge it with a wet/soapy sponge to get the dirt out and then I simply spray some silicone on a cloth and wipe everything down real good.The silicone protects the hoses and helps keep everything clean and dry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts