GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a place for clip on wheelweights,reasonably priced.WWW.Flanderscompany.com Honda wanted up to $8.00 apiece and I paid about $2.00 apiece.They come in three different weight: 10gm 20gm and 30gm.I found that if I squeezed the clips with a pliers they hold better.They also sell clip on weights for other bikes. Look under accessorys then tires wheelweights. Good Luck Jim

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jim,

Are these the correct weights for the GL 1800? I want to get some, as I will be purchasing the RC 100 tire machine, sometime soon.

I thought that the GL 1800 weights were "stick on". Since I am not sure, I would appreciate comments from anyone in the know.

Thanks
Bulldog

·
Registered
786 Posts
Wheel weights

the Wing weights are clip on. Mine has 2 weights on a single clip that straddles the inside center raised lip of the rim. A spring loaded clip grabs the rim lip. Came off easily. I reused it to blanace my new tire. I need a little more weight. Not sure how many grams it is.

The ones on Flatlander don't look exactly the same...but sure they would work. I have no idea what gram to buy.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Bulldog....my front wheel has a weight from the factory, It is attached to the center rib of the wheel, weight on both sides of the rib and a metal clip spanning the rib. Hope this helps :)

:yw1:

·
Registered
994 Posts
GaryG said:
Bulldog....my front wheel has a weight from the factory, It is attached to the center rib of the wheel, weight on both sides of the rib and a metal clip spanning the rib. Hope this helps :)

Just Curious - our 04 has 0 weights on the front wheel. Could we have been that lucky to get a perfectly balanced wheel/tire from the factory or could this be another example of Q/C that I slowly becoming leary of? Seems to ride ok for the 700 miles that we put on before getting iced in.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Re: Wheel weights

TxGoldWing said:
I have no idea what gram to buy.
I use the postage scale here at work. It displays in ounces and tenths of ounces. I placed on old weight on the scale, that the shop used. Once I converted that into grams, I then knew what I needed.

However, the stick on weights have lines or "dividers" on them which should be in 10 g. increments.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Jim Ciampi said:
I found a place for clip on wheelweights,reasonably priced.WWW.Flanderscompany.com Honda wanted up to $8.00 apiece and I paid about $2.00 apiece.They come in three different weight: 10gm 20gm and 30gm.I found that if I squeezed the clips with a pliers they hold better.They also sell clip on weights for other bikes. Look under accessorys then tires wheelweights. Good Luck Jim
Unless their picture isn't accurate, the ones at Flanders aren't really the correct style. Those are still like automotive weights. The ones that Honda use are a pinch style, with the clamp in the center, with lead weight on each side of the pinch clamp.

What additional does Flanders charge to ship them?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Wheel Balance Weights...found exact same ones!!

found the exact weights @ my friendly local Kawasaki/Suzuki service dept (I also own a Vulcan 1500). Pinch style like on my Wing. The 1" is 20 grams. 1/2" is 10 grams and 1.5" is 30 grams. They only charged my .50 each. yea!!!

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Re: Wheel Balance Weights...found exact same ones!!

TxGoldWing said:
found the exact weights @ my friendly local Kawasaki/Suzuki service dept (I also own a Vulcan 1500). Pinch style like on my Wing. The 1" is 20 grams. 1/2" is 10 grams and 1.5" is 30 grams. They only charged my .50 each. yea!!!
Congratulations. And at a reasonable price too!!! :D

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Jim n Judy said:
GaryG said:

Just Curious - our 04 has 0 weights on the front wheel. Could we have been that lucky to get a perfectly balanced wheel/tire from the factory or could this be another example of Q/C that I slowly becoming leary of? Seems to ride ok for the 700 miles that we put on before getting iced in.
Jim, my 02 never had a weight on the front, either and was fine for 13k miles. The rear had one.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Re: Wheel weights...pics

TxGoldWing said:
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/40195eef_15841/bc/My+Documents/GoldWing+wheel+weights---1.jpg?bfWNWGABCPEr4JLw

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/40195eef_15 ... AB8oTeEx_g

see if that shows up.
Nope. Yahoo says "Forbidden ... You do not have permission to get the requested URL from this server. "

Thanks for the good info on the wheel weights!

Do you know is the wheel weights are Kaw or Suz parts? Do you have a part number? We might have to track them down in our area.

Any other info would be appreciated. :D

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
There are 28 grams to an ounce. Don't ask how I know. :shock: But that was a long time ago. :D

(a lid should be at least 3 fingers, but be careful or you'll be wanting this :hamburger: )

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Been there

Duane in Bakersfield said:
There are 28 grams to an ounce. Don't ask how I know. :shock: But that was a long time ago. :D

I think a lot of us KNOW how you know. Been there, done it, even got the T shirt.

Oh well...still have enough brain cells to ride

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Re: pics...try this

TxGoldWing said:
http://www.arentinedesigns.com/images/tmp/wheel-weights.htm
That's what I was looking for yesterday. Glad someone put this out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts