GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just about decided to run to the four corners of the USA this summer.

1st leg from FL across the south to CA while it is cool (end of May)
2nd leg up to Seatle WA
3rd leg across the top of the country to Portland ME
4th leg down the east coast to FL

What we need are places to stop along the way and non interstate type roads that we might not want to miss. Except for these places that we plan to see we choose our roads each day.

We want things like,

The grand canyon
Niagara falls
Rte 66
Blue Ridge Parkway

Any help appreciated

·
Registered
379 Posts
Route 20 going East out of Dubuque, IA into Northern IL is always a great ride (kinda winding and lots of hills). Takes you through historic Galena, IL, too.

Route 20 is 2 lanes almost all the way from the Mississippi River to Rockford, IL. Just east of Galena there is a nice tower you can walk up and get some great views/photos. The Rockford area has lots of choices for hotels and restaurants.

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Check out the web site for Southern California Motorcycle Assoc.. They sponser an official 4 corners ride.

I did it in 2000 and had a blast. Took 2 1/2 months and over 16,000 miles. GL 1500 towing a Kwick Kamp trailer.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I am seriously considering doing a 4 corners myself, leaving in mid June. Wanted to leave earlier to beat the heat down south, but work won't allow it...

Will be making hte ride with my 9 y.o. daughter. Plan on taking 2 weeks, hooking up the trailer, and throing the camping gear in it. Will camp where we want and motel it every now & again.

Plan on hitting the Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, and some sights in DC and NY. Other than that, I'll be watching this thread for info too!

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
uneasyrider said:
We have just about decided to run to the four corners of the USA this summer.

1st leg from FL across the south to CA while it is cool (end of May)
2nd leg up to Seatle WA
3rd leg across the top of the country to Portland ME
4th leg down the east coast to FL

What we need are places to stop along the way and non interstate type roads that we might not want to miss. Except for these places that we plan to see we choose our roads each day.

We want things like,

The grand canyon
Niagara falls
Rte 66
Blue Ridge Parkway

Any help appreciated
Yeah I have a few thoughts but they're a little unprintable. Suffice to say that they involve calling you a few choice names for being able to do something I can't.

Hope you have a wonderful trip and numb buns! :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun, just one small suggestion invest in cooling vests. May, might be reasonable but I've been par broiled during this month on a number of rides through the southwest and even good old California.

Sure you have already thought of this, so have a safe and fantastic experience.

Buck Yellow Wing :lol: 8) :lol: :goflag: :yw1: :22yikes: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

·
1,448 Posts
SCMA defines the 4 corners as, Madawaska, ME, Key West, FL, San Ysidro, CA and Blaine, WA.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
A friend and I did the SCMA Four Corner Tour a few years ago and had a blast. If you want to see how we did it the trip is on my web page. Just click on Trips & Stories to find it.

Will
http://www.wills-domain.com

·
Registered
498 Posts
When you get to Seattle, continue north to State Route 20 before heading east. This will take you up over the North Cascades Highway, absolutely beautiful. The next part might be hard to do but if drop south and catch SR 12 in Idaho it will take you up over Lolo Pass (I've not been over it yet but am told it is worth every second). Then turn north on SR 93 in Montana and go up to catch the ride through Glacier Nat'l Park.

Hope that helps some!

Paul H.

·
1,448 Posts
Paul is so right. They don't proclaim Hwy 20 as " 89 Miracle miles" for nothing. It's awsome. "Going to the Sun Hwy" in Glacier Natnl. Park is another of those not to be missed roads. Lolo pass is another. Bear tooth pass going down into Yellowstone is another. God, a guy could go on all day listing the good ones.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Re: Four Corners

I strongly recommend that you do it. Just riding around this country is a wonderful experience.

However, if you do the SCMA Four Corners Tour, you are somewhat limited by a time factor. They allow you just 21 days to get to the four corners. I did it last year, and had a fantastic trip.

My biggest complaint was that my wife was not with me and the second was that there were so many things I wanted to see but did not have the time. It seemed like I found something I wanted to visit around every corner. But I pushed onward.

I lost two days due to a crash, and spent a total of 24 days on the road. It took me 19 days to complete the Four corners including the two lost days. I traveled 13,909 miles, averaging about 580 per day. And I traveled in 30 states and 3 provinces.

I would love to make the trip again only take about 4 months and try to see everything that interests me along the way.

Please email me if I can be of any help: [email protected]

·
Registered
50 Posts
My wife Sheri and myself are in the planning stages of our dream trip that we were going to do after retirement but you never know for sure if you will see that day so we decided why not this year?. Going to take 30 day leave of absence from work and head out west, plans now take us through 21 states. This will be done in the month of September. Only worry now is snow in some of the passes in the rockies. Oh guess one thing that brought this trip to the forefront was the purchase of an 04 GL-1800 the later part of February.

Don Michael

PS: Also will be dragging the Bunkhouse trailer behind us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts