GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four simple rules. I thought about them halfway through a wonderful ride yesterday. There was five of us, all veteran riders of the older variety. We did about 170 miles including about 80 miles of hilly rural country filled with twisties and challenging corners. I had ridden part of this route but was mostly unfamiliar with the terrain. I may be old but I am no Fogey and love to ride at let's say a spirited pace. I was in the fourth position and smiled through most of it with the exception of a few turns and blind corners that were entered well above a prudent pace. (including a large cow in the middle of the road) We stopped at one of Arizona's oldest bars in a small town near the Mexican border to pee and have drink. (Diet coke for me). When we were ready to go back the way we came I decided to ride sweep. I did this because I remembered the four simple rules I taught my children/family/friends about how we handle adventure sports. Everything from snow skiing, water skiing, quads, dirt bikes, horses, your get the idea.* (1.) We are out here to have fun. Fun means we get back in one piece, that does not always happen with sports of this nature so I mean most of the time. No fun is talking to law enforcement waiting for the medical helicopter. Trust me on this one. (2.) Don't do anything you don't want to. Sounds simple, but peer pressure, adrenaline, or a few beers makes this harder than it sounds. If the people you are with can't understand this, find new friends. (3.) Go at your own pace. We will wait for you at the next stop. (4.) You are responsible for the person behind you. This means you check every few minutes to make sure they are there. This prevents long trips and delays for everyone. I know I will probably get flamed for this but it has served us well for many years. Getting home to talk about the day over a few beers with friends make the four simple rules easy to remember, I know my kids still use them to this day. (Most of the time)
*Does not pertain to skydiving as everyone goes at the same pace.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Simple maybe, Billy, but also excellent rules to remember always. Nothing really new here, but the truth and value of these rules never diminishes, IMO. Thanks for posting them up.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Thanks for posting these simple "rules". Simple, but very smart. I try not to ride to prove anything, that's not my style, and I definately won't ride above my comfort and/or experience level. Call me a whimpy rider, I don't care. I get home in one piece and usually with a smile on my face (and no tickets I might add). :yes1:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good rules, for sure. But I'm a bit confused with rules 3 & 4. If one can ride at their own pace (rule 3) and we are responsible for the person behind us (rule #4), how can anyone ride far enough ahead to wait at the next stop? Please explain.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good rules, for sure. But I'm a bit confused with rules 3 & 4. If one can ride at their own pace (rule 3) and we are responsible for the person behind us (rule #4), how can anyone ride far enough ahead to wait at the next stop? Please explain.
If you want to ride at your own pace, wave the bike behind you to pass. If you are sweep the rider in front of you should keep you on the horizon. They should afford you that courtesy and the next ride should be with people closer to you skill level. Generally this is for friends and family that are not interested in leaving anyone behind. If I want to get zoomy I will ride alone or with those riders I am confident in their skill set.

·
Registered
701 Posts
--

Actually Rule #5 is: Old farts have to stop and pee a lot. :joke:

--

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
--

Actually Rule #5 is: Old farts have to stop and pee a lot. :joke:

--
That's a givin, Ron.
Your rule is like sayin',... "Don't forget to breath".

jest sayin'...:joke:
thecruiser

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Four simple rules. I thought about them halfway through a wonderful ride yesterday. There was five of us, all veteran riders of the older variety. We did about 170 miles including about 80 miles of hilly rural country filled with twisties and challenging corners. I had ridden part of this route but was mostly unfamiliar with the terrain. I may be old but I am no Fogey and love to ride at let's say a spirited pace. I was in the fourth position and smiled through most of it with the exception of a few turns and blind corners that were entered well above a prudent pace. (including a large cow in the middle of the road) We stopped at one of Arizona's oldest bars in a small town near the Mexican border to pee and have drink. (Diet coke for me). When we were ready to go back the way we came I decided to ride sweep. I did this because I remembered the four simple rules I taught my children/family/friends about how we handle adventure sports. Everything from snow skiing, water skiing, quads, dirt bikes, horses, your get the idea.* (1.) We are out here to have fun. Fun means we get back in one piece, that does not always happen with sports of this nature so I mean most of the time. No fun is talking to law enforcement waiting for the medical helicopter. Trust me on this one. (2.) Don't do anything you don't want to. Sounds simple, but peer pressure, adrenaline, or a few beers makes this harder than it sounds. If the people you are with can't understand this, find new friends. (3.) Go at your own pace. We will wait for you at the next stop. (4.) You are responsible for the person behind you. This means you check every few minutes to make sure they are there. This prevents long trips and delays for everyone. I know I will probably get flamed for this but it has served us well for many years. Getting home to talk about the day over a few beers with friends make the four simple rules easy to remember, I know my kids still use them to this day. (Most of the time)
*Does not pertain to skydiving as everyone goes at the same pace.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Rule # 6 - Don't ride behind the guy who doesn't stop and pees a lot.
That would be me. and that is a good idea to not ride behind a pee-er. I rode with a guy one time that had to stop every hour. That's right, every hour. I have my wife trained to go two hours, at least. As for me, I can easily go four hours and more if I need to. :yes1: I guess I would be so far from the pee-ers that I'd be in a different time zone. :joke:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Rule #7: Never eat prunes when famished!

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you can go four hours without peeing , then you are not drinking enough water...
--

:thumbup:

This is actually pretty much true. Most people don't drink enough. But I often stop every hour at a rest stop, to take a photo, read a map, or get gas. I need to so my joints don't get too frozen up from Arthur. Even a stop of two minutes helps. I, personally, wouldn't mind riding with someone who has to stop. That's one of those situations that have been talked about where you have to choose the folks you ride with and make sure everybody is on the same page. If you want to "ride your own pace," then that includes stopping when your body says to. I could never go more than two hours without stopping.

--

1 - 14 of 14 Posts