GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some research on leather jackets -- looking to replace a 10 year-old Hein Gericke. I had my heart set on a Vanson but am leaning toward the Fox Creek v1.8 now -- thicker leather, great stitching, better hardware, less expensive.

I've seen a few posts here from Fox Creek fans. Looking to hear from Fox Creek jacket owners, especially those who have had one for many riding seasons. How do they hold up? Any problems? Any complaints? Any experience, good or bad, with their customer service? Anyone had a get off with a Fox Creek that can talk about how well it held up? All feedback welcome.

It looks like I need a custom jacket -- 46" chest and a 32" waist -- so once I commit, it's a done deal. So any and all feedback is really appreciated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a Fox Creek leather jacket, their leather chaps and a leather nickel snap vest. I think their quality is excellent. Although it's been a couple of years since I dealt with them, at the time I found their service to be very good too.

I have the Classic Jacket II....it is very thick/warm and just holding it, it feels like it weighs 25 lbs! However, when you have it on, it doesn't feel heavy at all. I would definitely buy from them again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is my 2nd season using the v1.8 jacket and the leather overpants (which I don't think they carry anymore). If I had it to do over again, I would choose the Vented Racing Jacket over the v1.8. The ability to customize the size is what sold me. I don't like the fact that it doesn't have pockets for armor so I solved that problem by wearing Bohn body armor underneath the jacket and pants. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for high quality leather. I also had a FirstGear Pilot jacket that cost about the same as Fox Creek and although it had built in armor and was good quality, it wan't nearly as thick as the Fox Creek.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, guys. Nice review link too - thanks for that.

The lack of armor or even the ability to accommodate armor is definitely a strike. The 1.8mm leather should be great for abrasion, but won't help against impact like armor.

I'll continue to research but appreciate the comments.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have had their Vented Racing Jacket, chaps, and a pair of their gloves, for about three years now. No problems what-so-ever. Leather of the jacket is extreemly thick.

If I may suggest, check out Chilhowee leathers. I also have one of their Pistol Pete jackets. While the details are not as good as Fox Creek, the leather itself is just as thick and soft, (opinion only), for less than half the price.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My SO and I both have the Vented Racing Leather and love them. Warm and you feel safe wearing them. Heavy to the touch, but light when on. If I was to buy another leather, yes it would be Fox Creek

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have the vented racers jacket and chaps for 6 years now, very heavy duty, wears well and made well. Worth the price of admission. 8)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the testimonials, reviews, looks, specs, and price of the Fox Creek jackets. The only negative is the lack of armor and ability to accommodate armor. If I go with the Vanson CSRX, it would include their 'street' soft armor and I'm not sure how much more protection that really buys over the leather thickness of the Fox Creek. ...unsure...

But thanks for all of the input guys, it's much appreciated....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've decided to go with the Vanson Mark 2 CSRX. Love the clean look, great quality, and ability to accomodate armor. Ordered today. Need to get some armor for it from newenough and need to decide between the soft 'street' armor and the hard CE armor. I like the added protection of the CE armor but wondering about how uncomfortable it may make the jacket. Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
2 Posts
How hot is a vented leather jacket?

My wife and I are looking at the Fox Creek Vented Racing Jackets. We live in Arkansas and in the summer the temp reach mid 90's plus. I have one question and that is, when the temprature reach 80 deg. plus range just how warm will it get in a vented jacket?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wife and I both have Fox Creek gear. Top Notch:yes1: have a picture in her gear on our previous 1500.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My wife and I are looking at the Fox Creek Vented Racing Jackets. We live in Arkansas and in the summer the temp reach mid 90's plus. I have one question and that is, when the temprature reach 80 deg. plus range just how warm will it get in a vented jacket?

I went to Florida back in January it was 70* there. I opened all 4 vents on the jacket and i was impressed with all the air I felt coming through.:cool:

·
Registered
841 Posts
My wife and both have Fox Creek Jackets and could not be more pleased. they are extremely well made and will keep you warm and protected. I hesitated at first cause they are expensive but they are worth every penny. The customer service is also great...they are friendly, talk you through the fit process and if you do have to exchange they will send the new ones out before they get the old ones back. They call it the "honor system". You will not regret this purchase....:yes1:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a foxcreek vented jacket and love it! It is really really thick and heavy. You don't need armor with a jacket this heavily made. I've already went down once at 50 mph and the jacket saved my hide!! a few scratches on the jacket and thats it---of course the helmet was busted big time!!!!

Roadrat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts