GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that the "plastic" covers over the frame welds ( just under the seat) on my bike ( an '09 ) are now falling off when I wash it ( or sneeze near it )...........$20K for a bike and they are held on with double sided tape.............are they friggin serious! :22yikes:

Anywho......what type of frame covers are the best for this application. I see the Kury ones also have double sided tape and frankly, I'm not a big "chrome" kind of guy..........if it doesn't serve a purpose, it doesn't go on the bike type thing and I'm not paying for MORE plastic with double sided tape on it. I've tried new double sided tape to replace the tape that's there and it lasts about a month and it's off again.

So I have two choices, different covers other than the stock ones or another type of tape to hold them ( the stock ones ) in place.

Suggestions on either would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Since you stated you don't like the chrome frame covers the only option is to find some better quality double sided tape and reinstall the stock frame weld covers.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My 2010's weren't on very good either so I went to AutoZone and picked up a role of 3m doubleside tape(the good stuff). Clean it up with some alcohol and stick em back on . Mine are stuck for good unless I pry them off.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
My 2005 had one come lose in the forst year. Solution? A dob of Goop clear adhesive. Fixed!
All Hail the mighty power of Goop!
Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've noticed that the "plastic" covers over the frame welds ( just under the seat) on my bike ( an '09 ) are now falling off when I wash it ( or sneeze near it )...........$20K for a bike and they are held on with double sided tape.............are they friggin serious! :22yikes:

Anywho......what type of frame covers are the best for this application. I see the Kury ones also have double sided tape and frankly, I'm not a big "chrome" kind of guy..........if it doesn't serve a purpose, it doesn't go on the bike type thing and I'm not paying for MORE plastic with double sided tape on it. I've tried new double sided tape to replace the tape that's there and it lasts about a month and it's off again.

So I have two choices, different covers other than the stock ones or another type of tape to hold them ( the stock ones ) in place.

Suggestions on either would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers.
I too had that problem, found some "Plastic Emblem & Trim Adhesive" 3M Works great. Can be found at most parts houses. About $5. The 3M double sided tapes I tried didn't last long. The adhesive has been on for over a year. A little goes a long way, so read the instructions

·
Registered
157 Posts
My bike had frame covers on it when I bought it. It was new but my dealer put lots of chrome on it before he sold it. I don't like them because they add width to the frame and the side covers rub them. Looks like a long term issue due to parts rubbing together. I will probably remove them some day.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
My bike had frame covers on it when I bought it. It was new but my dealer put lots of chrome on it before he sold it. I don't like them because they add width to the frame and the side covers rub them. Looks like a long term issue due to parts rubbing together. I will probably remove them some day.

Not sure what you mean about the frame covers adding any width to the frame....maybe they due about 2 mm. I've never had a issue with my chrome frame covers rubbing the side cover.

The only issue I have found with the chrome frame covers is they are very easy to scratch.....and most of the time they will get scratched from removing the side covers if you don't pay attention to what you are doing and let the side cover touch the chrome frame covers when removing or reinstalling the side covers.

I always put a few layers of blue painter tape over the chrome frame covers to protect the chrome from scratches when I work on a Wing with chrome frame covers.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Another option is to just leave the covers OFF.

While a weld may not be a feature highly pleasing to the eye it is thematically appropriate as a design element - after all, it IS a motorcycle and welds ARE how we join big metal tubes together.

A weld has more business being on your bike than some taped-on plastic thing-a-mah-jig. At least a weld is honest about what it does and why it is there.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
A friend of mine has those on his and has similar results, I would'nt have them.JMHO

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Had that happen to my '02 back in '02. Just got 3m tape and never thought about it again. No biggie. :shrug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts