GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, here is the deal. I have ordered a Magna Flux kit for checking frames for cracks. I will be doing my own bike as soon as the kit arrives. Once I get my own bike done, I will be happy to do others. If you would like to have your frame inspected, you can contact me via email, and set up a date and time. You will have to bring the bike to my house in Fort Worth, and I will do the inspection in my garage. This will require me to remove the seat and collant reservoir and side covers and put the bike on a lift. I will also have to apply cleaner, dye, and developer to the frame in several locations.

Contact me via email if you would like me to check your frame. I will do all the bikes I can till I run out of dye. All I ask is a $5.00 donation toward the cost of the magna flux kit.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Fred, I don't know what we would do with out you. YOUR THE BEST !!!!

·
Vendor
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P.S.

If you want to do this inspection yourself, you can order a Magna Flux kit here for about $44 plus shipping. It includes everything you need and has instructions.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/email/default ... DE=1CJBAN8

My plan is to check the main lower crossmember welds, the upper crossmember welds, and the new area on the rear triangle.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Fred H. said:
P.S.

If you want to do this inspection yourself, you can order a Magna Flux kit here for about $44 plus shipping.
I believe Magna Flux tests only work on ferrous metals. For aluminum, you need a Zyglo test kit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Fred, the visible dye penetrant will work but it is not as sensitive to very fine tight cracks as would be the flourecent dye penetrant. Visibile Dyes are not allowed for use for performing inspections on military aircraft (AF) because they are not as sensitive and cracks in aluminum can be very tight. I'm speaking from 26 years experiance in the Nondestructive Inspection career field for the USAF. If you have any questions about using penetrants feel free to private message me and I'll do what I can to help you out. I live in OKC just a few hours north. You are doing an outstanding job for the 1800 community. Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
203 Posts
Fred, if you would like a can of flourescent dye penetrant and developer I can get you one of each. You will need to get a black light to look at the area for inspection and use alcohol as your cleaner. Let me know via private massage and we can work out the details.

Markj, your right. Magnaflux is the company the makes chemicals and equipment for both magnetic particle inspection and penetrant inspections. Most people use the term "magnaflux" when they talk about magnetic particle inspections. In military aviation it is usually refered to as just magnetic particle or MT since Magnaflux is a trade mark name.

I'm no long in the USAF as I retired last Oct.

·
Vendor
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My larger concern is that this won't detect cracks unless they have gone through the paint. For the purposes I need, I think this will suffice. Time will tell. It has to be better than just using a bright lite and magnifying glass, like I have been doing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Fred, your right in that if the paint is not broken then penetrants will not detect any cracks. The normal process is if there is a suspected crack you would strip the paint from the area (non abrasive method) and then preform the inspection. I've seen many suspected cracks that when stripped it was only a crack in the paint.

The offer for help is still open if you want it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I forgot, there is another NDT method that could be used that will dectect the cracks with the paint on and it is called Eddy Current. You scan the area with a probe connected to the calibrated Eddy Current Instrument and it will dectect the cracks.

·
Vendor
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, but there again, I do not have the equipment, time, or training to do eddy current tests. Dye penetrate is about as high tech as I am gonna get. I think it will be good enough to spook out any serious cracks anyway. My main goal is to be able to identify the difference between defects in the paint, and legitimate cracks. This dye should be able to do that.

I hope to have the kit early next week. If anyone wants me to check their bike, let me know. I will also post photos of the process when I get done with my own bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Fred,
We will all be interested in the results of your tests. Keep us posted and thanks for all you do for us.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Frame Cracks

I am aware that there was a problem with some Gl1800s and cracking frames as I received a letter from HONDA after buying my '02. The letter indicated that my bike was not under recall. Does that mean I don't need to be concerned with this problem, or is my bike still at risk? Thanks

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Re: Frame Cracks

insureguy said:
I am aware that there was a problem with some Gl1800s and cracking frames as I received a letter from HONDA after buying my '02. The letter indicated that my bike was not under recall. Does that mean I don't need to be concerned with this problem, or is my bike still at risk? Thanks
Insureguy,
The recall was for a specific vin sequence. It included late production '02s and early '03s. This was spring of '02 through the fall. I don't know the exact time frame. This recall was for the reweld of the lower cross member where the centerstand mounts. Honda's web page has a press release for the VIN range:

http://powersports.honda.com/the_st...=2003&TargetURL=Press_Release/Press_20087.asp

The latest issue of concern is for the frame parts near the passenger foot rests and rear crash bars. There is no official info available on this issue.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Re: Frame Cracks

insureguy said:

I think we all need to be concerned.
There are bikes with CRACKED FRAMES that are out of the so called vin range. :hun1:
And now if you read all the responses on CRACKED FRAMES there are 2001 GoldWings that are cracking also.... Time Will Tell

Tony - Chicagoland

1 - 18 of 18 Posts