GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got call from my dealer. They polished off the powder coat in a 1" area and the FRAME is cracked, not the weld. Weld looks good. This bike has 18050 miles on it, is an 02 ABS, last part of vin is 100803. It was not subject to weld recall. Crack is located on inside of lower left side rail on the main frame. If you remove the left passenger peg and plastic behind it, you will see the top of a weld about 2" behind the last bolt hole for the passenger pegs. There is a rubber gasket that you can push out of the way mounted on the muffler guard. If you squeeze your finger thru just at rear of the top of the weld, that is where crack starts. It continues down and starts around frame. If you have a crack, you can feel it this way. Otherwise you must put bike on lift, put head as close to wheel as possible and look up and to left outside of bike. Area is up just past the fins of the rectifer. Very hard to see area. Dealer had to remove muffle etc to get in there with big glass and mirror. I could see it because of height Pit Bull lift was at when I sat under bike. Bike is 75% 2 up riding, towed a Unigo trailer for a total of maybe 900 miles. Other than that, no abuse etc. Check your frames................. It is real........ :oops:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Sorry to hear that Jerry. I guess the MIG/TIG theory is out the window. That put the heat affected zone (HAZ) theory high on the list.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Topster, I printed a copy of your post and will hand it to Fred Harmon when I see him this evening at the Texas 1800 gathering. I imagine he will be contacting you.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Toppy.

I feel bad for you Bro. No matter what Honda does for you, I doubt that they will be able to Fix your confidence, or the confidence of thousands of other GL 1800 owners.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Agreed ! Sorry toppy............That really does SUCK !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts