GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to take my wing in for the frame weld and ECM change out. Anything I need to know before hand? Has anyone had bad experiences with this recall change? Just want to be sure......not trying to start anyting.

TIA :)

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Spear ,if your comfortable with your dealer, and he is comfortable doing the fix , should be a piece of cake. Getting the new ECM is weird, I would swear that the bike shifts better. Have heard the same from other guys also. other wise everything is good.
**** :yw1:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, Thanks **** I'm taking it in today so will worry until I get her back in one piece.........

·
Registered
115 Posts
My wife had her's welded and ECM change done. Just got it back about a week ago. Runs smoother at low speed now, like mine always did. Only problem we had was keeping her somewhat sane while her bike was torn down. After the second week of being torn down, she stopped there every day and prodded them a bit. When she ripped into the manager, she soon had her bike back, I think just to get rid of her! :D

The welds look good, and the bike came back in perfect condition, even washed :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Remove tour stuff.....

I just had mine done and a lot of hardware was missing apon it's return to me. Missing was my Tulsa belly pan, duck foot and a set of wing tools that I always carry. I must admit I should have removed those tools from the hidden pouch in the left bag, but I plain forgot.

The service manager told me that the bike never had a belly pan or the duck foot when they recived the bike, see, it's not on the work order. He also said that the tools must have fallen out on the way to the shop(?!!!).

Never going to do busness with that dealer again. They also tryed to charge me for the 'extra' time that was needed to fix my frame do to the 'huge' crack.

Looking under the bike I can't see that any work was done at all except the removal of my goodies. I'm going to have another shop take a look at this next week.

Grape

·
Registered
466 Posts
Grape,

I would STRONGLY recommend you contact Honda immediately and tell them of your experience. Follow the phone call with a letter containing the same details. While Honda has little control over dealers, they are legally responsible for the recall and how it is done. I would think Honda would be very interested to know just how the dealer handled this as well as their attempt to charge you additional money. By attempting to charge you, that dealer violated federal law and needs to be reported.

Bill Richardson

·
Registered
40 Posts
frame mod.

Grape
I think I would have called the Police to report the stuff missing,maybe that would have helped them find your parts, Also notifiy your Motor Vehicle Dept. :evil:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Grape, maybe you should tell everyone what the name of this fine establishment is, in case they'd like to pass on by if in the area. :x

·
Registered
115 Posts
If there was a crack, HUGE, or otherwise, they weren't even supposed to weld it. If it sounds like a crook, walks like a crook, ......... :(

I would second the suggestion about contacting Honda. They really need to know about this bunch. Besides, I'd wonder about the frame, if they really did weld it with a crack. :evil:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Going to talk to my attorney in the AM

I just wanted to bounce this off some of you guys before acting. It seemed outrages to me, but, maybe, I thought, all dealers act this way.

I'm going to talk to my attorney in the AM and see what would be the best way to handle this in my state.

I have already recived a call from the service manager where I had the work done, he was told about the post I made here as word quickly travled the grapevine at warp speed. Strange how dealers can spread the word about trouble for them but sill not know anything about wing recalls. He told me that if I mention his name here he would void my warrantee.

Anyway, I'm going to take the high road and let the law deal with this guy...

Grape

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Re: Going to talk to my attorney in the AM

2003Grape said:
He told me that if I mention his name here he would void my warrantee.
Call Honda and ask them if he can do that... I really doubt it. I smell a :rat: .

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't think he can VOID the warranty on the bike, but he might make it impossible for you to get any warranty work done at his dealership by not haveing any open time,no parts available,etc.

Your warranty is not with him but with Honda.
Just another instance where the big guy tries to bully the little guy when the little guy tries to stand up for his rights.

Use all means available to you to put this slug inn his place.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Re: Going to talk to my attorney in the AM

2003Grape said:
I'm going to talk to my attorney in the AM and see what would be the best way to handle this in my state.

I have already recived a call from the service manager where I had the work done, he was told about the post I made here as word quickly travled the grapevine at warp speed. Strange how dealers can spread the word about trouble for them but sill not know anything about wing recalls. He told me that if I mention his name here he would void my warrantee.
Grape
Grape, FWIW, I agree with whoever said that the first thing you should do is call Honda, at their 800 customer service number. There was also an 800 number on your recall notice, which you were asked to call if you had any trouble.

Honda needs to know about this lousy excuse for a dealer. Not only is he treating you like garbage, but then he's lying through his teeth on top of it! If Honda doesn't make it right, and quick, I'd talk to the lawyer.

Whatever you do, best of luck!

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, but I can smell a :rat: a mile away.

Not only can he NOT void your warranty for telling anyone about him or what he's done (or not done) but you almost certainly have a cause of action against him. As long as you only speak the truth, no harm can come to you. If you lie about it, then he could make trouble for you.

1. Call Honda. Tell them what you told us. Make sure that they are aware of everything and let them handle him from their end. Ask them to point you to a dealer that can take care of this for you and be sure that you get their advance approval so that you don't have to worry about any cost.

2. Get legal advice. Sounds to me like you might have a legal claim here.

3. Call the police and report the "stolen" items from your bike. Be sure to make it clear that they went into the dealer and never came back out.

4. Let us know what happened! These guys will NOT be allowed to intimidate us!

·
Registered
17 Posts
So far....

Here's where we are as of Monday night with the problem I have had with my dealer.

1) Set up a apointment with my lawer for Thursday morning nine AM.
2) The police and the local DA say it's a civil matter and I would have to take him to small claims.
3)I called Honda this moring. They said it was between the dealer and I, but hey would look into it, but they are very busy with other matters right now.
4)The dealer has called me and told me that if I mention his name even hint at it he will take me to court plus he would make sure that I would be in a world of hurt. Seems some of the guys that work for him are very tough (?!)
5)I took my bike to another dealer 100 miles away this afternoon. Asked them to inspect the welds on the bike, without telling them any of the histroy. The service manager said that the frame required repair. It had NOT been welded at the first shop. Left it for what I hope is a real repair.
6)When I got home tonight I had a message on my phone machine from the second dealer asking if I had had the bike in the first shop just a few days ago. He was hinting at that he felt like I was trying to rip him off some how. I shall call him in the AM.

More on the saga of Super Grape soon.....

Grape

·
Registered
289 Posts
ECM - FRAME

Concord Honda in N.H. did my ECM recall.
Bike put back together ok and ran good.

Not in frame VIN # range. ( Thank GOD! )

·
Registered
289 Posts
For 2003grape

Suggest you pull any reciepts of missing accessories and or equip.
Take them to your lawyer.
Take pictures of bike (area where accessories were located)
Do you happen to have any pictures showing missing stuff before it was missing?

Line up any witnesses that have knowledge of what was on bike.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Re: So far....

2003Grape said:
3)I called Honda this moring. They said it was between the dealer and I, but hey would look into it, but they are very busy with other matters right now.
4)The dealer has called me and told me that if I mention his name even hint at it he will take me to court plus he would make sure that I would be in a world of hurt. Seems some of the guys that work for him are very tough (?!)
Grape
The beauty of this is, from the sound of this you don't have to mention the guy's name. All you have to do is tell this forum where you live, and let us do the math.

Whatever happened to customer service? Does this guy work undercover for Harley? because he sure seems hell-bent on driving customers away from Honda!

Best of luck with getting your problem resolved. If you haven't got the recall performed, then this guy's going to be in big trouble for defrauding you AND Mother Honda. I would think it would behoove Mother Honda to pay a little closer attention to this.

Let's hope you don't have to rename your ride Sour Grape!

John in Vegas

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Just a note, I was NOT running down Honda dealers in general, but this guy is obviously been treated like dirt.

I received much better treatment from George at Honda of Las Vegas on Rancho Dr. They were a bit slow, but they wanted to be sure it was done right, and that I'd have a safe ride when they were done. Mine was one of the first frame recalls they did. Subsequent bikes will, no doubt, go much faster, now that they have their 'system' down.

Best of luck to all who have to get this recall done. And thanks to people like Hal and my own dealer who bend over backwards to make sure this thing is done right.

John in Vegas

1 - 20 of 48 Posts