GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Honda re welded the frames on the Goldwing's where did they mark them when finished, and what type of mark?

Most all the recalls and service bulletins that were done on the bikes had a mark made somewhere by the servicing dealer to show it was done.

Reason I ask is a friend just bought a 2003 with only 2600 miles, the bike was parked for most of it's life.

The guy that bought it new only rode it the first year, then he died and the bike sat until this year.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
John take the vin number to a dealer and they should have a record of everything recall wise that was or was not done to the bike

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
There is supposed to be a mark on the VIN tag that indicates that the work was completed. It would be a punch mark on the lower right hand corner of the VIN Tag to indicate that the recall has been done.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The service guy at my dealership said a lot of mechanics apparently did not punch the VIN tags so I agree, have any Honda dealer run a check by VIN.

Hector

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The service guy at my dealership said a lot of mechanics apparently did not punch the VIN tags so I agree, have any Honda dealer run a check by VIN.

Hector
If the VIN check indicates the frame weld was done but the VIN tag was not punched, I would hope they visually inspect the frame to validate there are no cracks and then punch the VIN as it should have been done when the frame weld was completed. Guess I am one of those "cross the T's, and dot the I's" kind of guys. Must be because I was a US Government QAR (Quality Assurance Representative) for so many years.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,001 Posts
It's real easy to tell if the lower crossmember recall was done or not by just looking at the welds....the rewelds will be very large and not so nice looking. BTW, all the 2003 models were to have the lower crossmember rewelded regardless of any inspections.

·
Vendor
18,425 Posts
You can read the recall and the instructions on how the bikes are marked in the actual bulitin at JustWings.com > printed material > recalls.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If the VIN check indicates the frame weld was done but the VIN tag was not punched, I would hope they visually inspect the frame to validate there are no cracks and then punch the VIN as it should have been done when the frame weld was completed. Guess I am one of those "cross the T's, and dot the I's" kind of guys. Must be because I was a US Government QAR (Quality Assurance Representative) for so many years.
One would hope!

Hector

·
Registered
17,093 Posts
CRIPE! That looks like my boogered-up attempts at welding!

prs

It's real easy to tell if the lower crossmember recall was done or not by just looking at the welds....the rewelds will be very large and not so nice looking. BTW, all the 2003 models were to have the lower crossmember rewelded regardless of any inspections.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My '03 was not punched but I called two dealers.... both replied it was done according to the computer.. A visual inspection of the area verified that, Yes it was rewelded.

·
Registered
59 Posts
my bike is an 10/02. Does it fall in this recall?
I will be checking my frame when I get home tonight!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,001 Posts
my bike is an 10/02. Does it fall in this recall?
I will be checking my frame when I get home tonight!
Yes it does. The 01, 02, and early 04 models are to have the lower crossmember welds inspected by placing a weld gauge over the welds and if the weld doesn't touch the weld gauge then it is suppose to be rewelded. All the 2003 models are to have the lower crossmember welds rewelded under the recall regardless of any inspections.

All of the bikes that were in the lower crossmember recalls...Honda expanded the recall a few times before it was all done.... are now covered by Honda for the life of the bike due to a class action lawsuit that Honda settled on....but only the lower crossmember of the frame is covered. The other frame issue that affects the 01 to 04 models...cracks in the frame tube behind the passenger floor board.... is not covered under that lawsuit settlement.

·
Vendor
18,425 Posts

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
My 02 was only inspected, but was never punched, even though it was supposed to be. I only go to the dealer once a year to get tires, and I always forget to tell them to punch it. I guess I could just punch it myself.

The mark is a good way to confirm the recall. But the lack of it doesn't mean it wasn't done. You can't inspect the bike yourself either, because most 03 bikes only needed the inspection, and didn't need to be welded.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
My 04 was recalled. The previous owner did not have it done and neither did I.

I began the process 3 years ago but didn't follow through. The dealer at the time indicated that he would have to get the kit which he thought would now be sparce and hard to find. He also said that he no longer had the contacts for a welder who was qualified since most all the recalls were completed.

I choose to not give up my bike for weeks to get the recall done, but to just keep an eye on the area. If the welds then do crack, then Honda will still be responsible for the repair regardless.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
"The dealer at the time indicated that he would have to get the kit which he thought would now be sparce and hard to find. He also said that he no longer had the contacts for a welder who was qualified since most all the recalls were completed." That a dealer or a dealership employee would say something like this is ...(words escape me).

Hopefully you let Honda know what you were told by that dealership and that you had a competent dealership inspect the frame.

My 04 was recalled. The previous owner did not have it done and neither did I.

I began the process 3 years ago but didn't follow through. The dealer at the time indicated that he would have to get the kit which he thought would now be sparce and hard to find. He also said that he no longer had the contacts for a welder who was qualified since most all the recalls were completed.

I choose to not give up my bike for weeks to get the recall done, but to just keep an eye on the area. If the welds then do crack, then Honda will still be responsible for the repair regardless.

·
Vendor
18,425 Posts
You should get it done. Contact Honda, they know who the welders are and since it is a recall want it done also. Its a dangerous situation until it is corrected.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Wow, I watched the young lady as she the work on my bike. The final result looks like something out of the factory. Sorry, but these photos look, well, amateurish.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
All the 2003 models are to have the lower crossmember welds rewelded under the recall regardless of any inspections.
I'm sorry, but as far as I can tell, that is just not true. Was there any recall beyond SB14 and SB 18? In both of those recalls, the affected bikes were only welded if they failed inspection. The letter to customers was very clear about it.

From Honda:
If the welding is not sufficient, the dealer will reinforce the welds according
to a factory-prepared welding manual, free of charge.
In addition, the 6000 or so 2003 bikes that were inspected and passed as part of the original recall did not have to bring their bikes back a second time to be welded if they passed on SB14. Subsequent bulletins did not include VIN numbers from the original recall. I have two friends with 2003 models. Both have been inspected, and just like my 02, neither one has been welded.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts