GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
im new to the group,
my name is Pete Kennedy and I live in Shohola Pa.
I just got a 02 Gl 1800 non abs.
and I would like to know how to tell if my bike my need the frame recall.
can anyone give me any info ?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Hi Pete, and welcome to the board!

If you look down your left tunnel opening, with the handlebars at a full-lock left turn you should be able to see your VIN sticker attached to the frame.

The last six digits of the VIN number will tell you the story: the affected bike ranges (as recalled by Honda) fall within the range of 111803 - 113582.

If you're outside these numbers, just keep checking it before you ride. If you're in this range, contact your local dealer immediately about getting it repaired.

Good luck...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mighty small crack

Like Jon said, except if it is outside the range, I would not bother with the periodic check.

Here's why. My '03 was nearly dead center in the range, and I checked it everytime I rode. Then I had it at the dealers, and the tech there checked it - no problem. Then the recall came, the Honda Rep inspected it and found no crack, so they tore it down, put it on its side and the welder noticed the crack that had previously been hidden behind the coolant reservoir.

My bike went back to Honda, but my point is....these cracks are mighty small and I doubt you would find one with all the parts in place and the bike upright, so why bother looking.

Most importantly, welcome to this board and being a rider of the best touring bike made, maybe even the best sport-touring bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Recall

Have you asked the previous owner if he got a recall notice and if so, got the weld repaired? That paperwork is probably with the owner's manual.

·
Vendor
21,875 Posts
Inspect, Inspect, Inspect

I can tell of at least one person, (Lisa L. last year's Iron Butt rally master) that might not be alive today had she not read about the problem on this board and inspected her bike for cracks. She found both sides cracked all the way through. The cracks were wide enough to put a dime into. The frame most likely would have failed on the next major bump she hit. Because we got this info out early on this site (June of last year), she inspected her bike and caught it before she got seriously hurt. Honda gave her a brand new 04 model after they towed her bike away.

I can also name at least 5 others who found cracks upon inspection. So don't think you can't see them. You may not see them every time, but chances are good you will. I also pull my coolant bottle once a month or more and inspect mine carefully.

However, Dick M. inspected his bike the day before it collapsed, and saw no cracks, so an inspection is no guarantee either, but an ounce of protection.

Keep looking for cracks. Because the alternate method of finding out about them is not very pleasant.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Re: Mighty small crack

Deadeye-USMV said:
....these cracks are mighty small and I doubt you would find one with all the parts in place and the bike upright, so why bother looking.
They may start small, but as Fred said, you can catch them before they get large enough to be a real safety hazard. Ask "Jazzy Jeff" about the crack he was able so see in his weld (before they replaced his bike for him).

There are also documented failures of bikes outside of the official Honda recall range that they can't attribute a failure cause to. For this reason, I will inspect mine regularly.

To each their own... ride safe, either way.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
What Fred said! A great way to inspect the frame is with a camera. With practice you don't have to lay on the floor.

I don't remember the riders name but he posted preweld photos. His dealer found cracks. The cracks were visible in the photos if you looked closely. They appeared as dark lines with some fresh metal reflecting the flash.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I sent myself to the corner, but.....

I said:
Like Jon said, except if it is outside the range, I would not bother with the periodic check.
I'm ashamed of my post because it was not clear enough. I would suggest inspecting if the bike is outside the VIN range, as you see in the quote above. :banghead:

However, I really didn't state that for a bike IN the VIN range, I would take it in for the re-weld repair quickly, which is why I dissed the personal inspection.:oops:

·
Registered
52 Posts
FRAME RECALL

Honda mailed me a letter notifing me that my wing was not effected.

It goes by your vin . Better just check with your local dealer to be sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi all,
thanks!!!!! for the info :)
the bike is at the dealer still I have not picked it up yet, cant wait to ride it.
my last bike was an ZX9R 1997 and I sold it before it killed me,(and my wife didnt want me to ride anymore, she said its way too fast for you!!!!)
but I will have the dealer ck it out before I do pick it up, and have he put it in writing that it was cked by him.
were are the cracks, were should I look for them ?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Pete,
The place where the repair is being made is the large crossmember where the centerstand mounts. If you look from behind you will see the welds in question. The part just below the welds is the overflow bottle. I will post my repaired welds.

I know someone will ask: No, the pennies are not for luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts