GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a letter form honda, saying the frame weld on my 03 was not done to standards. They want to ship my 03 to the honda plant and replace the frame. Has Anybody had this done? I will be without the bike for two weeks. I am dreading this already.

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
To the plant for a new frame? Sounds better than to the dealer for one

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I've not had any experiences with service or warranty with our '02 since we purchased it back a few months ago. So I can't say bad or good about any dealers around San Diego. But what I would say is, if Honda wants the factory to do the work, if it were mine, I'd do it in a heart beat. That doesn't mean the dealers around here can't do a good job but, the Factory, logically that would be my pick. And, two weeks, that seems short. I think I've read where guys have laid up their bikes for well over a month getting the weld/crack situation remedied at some dealerships. Good luck and let us know what you think of the work and time frame when you get it back.
Scott

·
Vendor
22,229 Posts
I just got a letter form honda, saying the frame weld on my 03 was not done to standards. They want to ship my 03 to the honda plant and replace the frame. Has Anybody had this done? I will be without the bike for two weeks. I am dreading this already.
Did this letter just arrive in your mailbox out of the blue?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

Cooter46..Having had a bad dealer experience for just replacing the Alt Dampener (ACG)..I'd be jumping up and down from excitement if Honda told me they want the Factory to swap out my frame..

Look at it this way about the Factory doing the work....
Who built the Bike-"They did"
Who knows more about this bike "They do"
Who can do the frame swap correctly in less time."They can"
If a plastic piece somehow got scratched,Who could take one right out of their wharehouse."They could"
Who would be sure every nut and bolt is where it is supposed to be."They would"

And most importantly-Who would be sure it was right before you got it back."They would"

Please let us know how this works out for you..:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
i have an 03 and i guess i am one of the lucky ones where there were no problems with it. It was inspected by the dealer and no cracks or bad welds so nothing was done. I wish they would replace all 03 and early 04 frames. i would do mine in a heart beat
keep us posted :agree:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Did you have it inspected at your dealer? How was it determined that the welds were "not done to standards". I've seen photos of some pretty rough looking welds that were not "recalled". I haven't heard of anyone sending their's back to the factory. I guess I'm just paranoid but there are a lot of smart scammers out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The frame was welded, but the welder did not do it to specs. I just received the letter thursday, they say as pf this afternoon it might take a few weeks. I beleive it will be better when it gets back. Thank yall for great comments, I too think they build it they can replace it to better than the dealer, I will let yall know when everything is finished.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts