GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I'm from Italy, I read from some months this board, n for the first time I write in.
I got a 2003 GW Silver-stream and this is my story:
In Italy the done the recall in the first days of october, shipped the bike to belgium and sended back home by mid november, included the ECM replacement done by my dealer.
Honda Italia dosen't give you a spare bike, so luckly i got a spare bike from my dealer, was just an Aprila 500 cc scooter, but better then nothing.
In the ECM replacement the supply only two Keys, but since I had four keys, i needed to bought two new keys as spare parts, because honda doesn't supply them togheter with the new ECM.
I'll like to know if somebody of you had the same problem with the extra keys, and if you had them by honda under warranty or if you have to purchase the extra keys.
I bought the keys already, n trying now to have them refund under warranty.
Thank for yours attention, n forgive me for my poor writing.

Flashing lights

Nicola

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hello Nicola and welcome to the board.
First, your writing is just fine, but I want to make sure I understand correctly. Are you saying that when you had your ECM changed on your bike, you had to get new keys for the bike, as in, keys to start the bike?

Here we get two (2) keys when we buy the bike new. That's all we get.
Now, I haven't had my ECM changed yet, but I can't imagine why we would need new keys. The keys are for turning the ignition to start the bike, and to unlock the trunk and other compartments. They have nothing to do with the ECM. Our keys don't have any electronic chips in them, (that I'm aware of), that would send a signal of any sort to the ECM. Is it possible that bikes in Italy have such an electronic device in the keys. Even so, I would think that if this is the case, Honda should replace the keys with the new ECM's at no charge to you, but wouldn't that also mean that your ignition switch and locks would need to be changed? Well, maybe not if your dealer cut the new keys to match yours.

No Nicola, I've never heard of this before. Maybe someone else here can be or more help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi jim,
you understood well, Italian/European GW has a electoric device inside the key that is a anti-theft named HISS, with the new bike they give us two keys, but you can code in the ECM until for keys, and this is what i did, but with the replacement they gave me only two keys, this is why I was asking if somebody of you has the same problem, but if you don't have the HISS on your bike you can't have this kind of issue.
Just for your info, to avoid the lock change, the new keys are blank, and mus be fitted with the shape of the old one, only the electronic part can't be changed once done.
Thank for you attention n fast reply

Lights

Nicola

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
The RUNE is the only Honda product sold in the USA with HISS as part of the ignition . I wonder why we did'nt get it on our Wings? I think HISS stands for Honda Intellegent Securty System.
**** :yw1:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi ****, HISS is the acronymus of: Honda Ignition Security System.
Almost all the Honda sold in Italy has this apparel.
Maybe because of many Motorcycle theft down here, so you don't have to worry about this, maybe you don't nedd !

Nicola

G

·
I would guess they don't add HISS to the US bikes because we are so darn honest and nobody would ever steal a wing :lol: :cry: :twisted:

Wouldn't it be wonderfull if that was really true :D

Intresting post - it's nice here from all over the world - makes it a little smaller place.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
The thieves here in the US are still after the Harleys. 8)

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Isn't there a procedure that you (or the dealer) can go through in order to program the electronics in the bike to recognize the new/different embedded chips in the keys?

This would be similar to the procedure we have to go through in order to program the Wing to recognize another trunk lock/unlock remote.

If I remember, my Ford Windstar can "remember" the embedded codes for four ignition keys, but, so far, I'm just using the two original keys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ECM Replacement and spare keys

Nicola

Here in Australia the GL1800s all come with HISS. When I had my '03 upgraded with the new ECM it only came with two new keys. In fact, I only received two keys with the bike when new. The same with my new '04 GL1800.

Derek Titheradge

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Perhaps another reason we don't need HISS on our Wings is the fact that many of us pack a firearm. In the picture to the left, I'm holding a .338 Magnum. While riding, I'm holding a model 19 .357 magnum with a 2 1/2" barrel. :flg:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ed,
Which hand do you hold the 357 Mag. with, when you are riding? :twisted:

More seriously, I have not figured out a good place to put the piece while riding, so I never have packed on a trip.

Please E-mail me with any suggestions, Ed.

Sorry for the diversion.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Deadeye-USMV said:
Ed,
Which hand do you hold the 357 Mag. with, when you are riding? :twisted:

More seriously, I have not figured out a good place to put the piece while riding, so I never have packed on a trip.

Please E-mail me with any suggestions, Ed.

Sorry for the diversion.
How easy is it to get a concealed carry permit in Maryland? I thought it was very hard, if not impossible.

I think that now you can get a carry permit in about 37 of the 50 states but, as soon as you cross a state line your carry permit is usually meaningless. That doesn't help much if you're on a trip. So, until there is a sensible national carry law, trips across state lines would not be practical. :?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bob in Bear,
You are correct on all points. Maryland suffered for years under a repressive gun-hating Governor, and despite that being changed last year, the state assembly has not been cleaned out, as of yet. Now, like NY, CA, Detroit and DC, all the MD gun laws have pretty much assured that only the bad guys are armed.

If I were to pack one, I would be going with the U.S. Constitution...that relic of the past days, when men were men and everyone that lived in America, loved America.

To give you the Technical answer: yes, the only people that I know that have the 1 year renewable MD permit are retired policmen and an idiot house appraiser that had two loaded handguns fall out of his car when he opened it at my house to do his appraisal. That was special.

Thanks, for the question

·
Registered
2 Posts
Spare Keys

Hi Nicola,

i had the same .... got the new ECM with 2 new keys. My Dealer had to have them re-cut and i had to pay !!! same with the cooling liquid .... somuch for Honda in Switzerland ..... :x

...oh wll.....hope spring time is comming sooooon ..... hmmm :idea: anyone know of "snow-chains" for the Bike ...... now that would be a big :lol:

i would like to wish you all a great 2004

Nic

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bob (Bear said:
but, as soon as you cross a state line your carry permit is usually meaningless.
Not quite so, try checking with www.packing.org they list all States and the reciprocal arrangements. Many many States now honor other States CCW's.

FTW

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Answered...

....HISS -- that's a new one on me. Seems like you learn something every day on this board.

Nice seeing you guys from Europe posting -- don't worry about your English -- some of us are a little rough with our English also. Look forward to seeing post from you in the future. Maybe we'll see you over here sometime. I'd love to come over there and ride, but not on the immediate horizon to do so.

Dave Turley

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi swisswing,

So is the same story everywhere, they give you the ECM replacement but you have to pay for extra keys !!
Worl is so big but sometimes so small !!
I don't know about snow chain, you know luckly I live in the central flat land of northern Italy between Milan and Bologna, here very rare to get snow, and today there was about 7° Celsius at noon, so almost every week we have the opportunity to get a ride, maybe short but we get.

Thanks to all the others for the reply, and if somebody plan a trip to Italy, and you need suggestions or anything elese, please contact me, pheraps we can get a drink togheter.

Nicola

1 - 17 of 17 Posts