GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 ABS which vin #s are not in the range of the recalls. There are no visible cracks on the frame. Do they still reweld the joints anyway?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have an '02 that was in the recall. The '02's and 03's in the recall have a weld that is 100% MIG. The bikes outside the recalled VIN numbers have a weld that is 50% MIG (top half of the weld) and 50% TIG (bottom half of the weld). The TIG weld adds strength to the weld at it's greatest stress point. I think the change was temporarily made as a cost savings. Guess they wound up not saving much ($2,200 per bike x approx 8000 bikes). Had mine fixed and the dealer did an oustanding job of the whole process. I was only without my ride for 5 days.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Oops, that is what my dealer told me that Honda would pay him for the warranty work but that also includes the ECM replacement. Not sure how much of the $2,200 was for the weld.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dealer pointed out to me that the reweld process is about $800 per bike. This includes labor of tear down and reassembly and the welding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is not normally that a motorbike with this weight welded!!!
Such a bike must be get a new frame and never welded.

I dont want to have such a motorbike because you dont know when this welded cracked.
I mean the bike is a very dangerous bike and I am waiting every day for the headline:
died men with GL1800 because frame is braked

The security from the people is more important than the bike!!!

Good luck
Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts