GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have located a Used GL1800 Frame on Ebay from a 2006. My 2004 Frame is cracked in the normal place at rear left. I built braces for both sides but still get the delay jump when accelerating.

Was thinking of driving up to Mirabel Quebec to pick up the 2006 frame to get rid of the cracked frame. Some questions I have are as follows:

1) How can I ensure that the Salvage 06 frame is straight ? (Al's Garage Claims it has no cracks)

2) Is there a straight forward procedure anywhere for swapping frame (re-routing/moving wiring harnesses are biggest concern!)? (I have pulled motor (have special tools), Rear end, front end and All plastic in the past)..

3) If I am simply swapping out a cracked frame for a used frame that was marked salvage in Quebec, Canada.. do I need to do anything special after changing the frame out with the registration ? I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Brrrrr)

Thanks for any help out there... Note: Honda really let me down here, as I feel I am a victim of their Manufacturing/Design defects.

Regards,
Steve

·
Vendor
17,531 Posts
I have located a Used GL1800 Frame on Ebay from a 2006. My 2004 Frame is cracked in the normal place at rear left. I built braces for both sides but still get the delay jump when accelerating.

Was thinking of driving up to Mirabel Quebec to pick up the 2006 frame to get rid of the cracked frame. Some questions I have are as follows:

1) How can I ensure that the Salvage 06 frame is straight ? (Al's Garage Claims it has no cracks)

2) Is there a straight forward procedure anywhere for swapping frame (re-routing/moving wiring harnesses are biggest concern!)? (I have pulled motor (have special tools), Rear end, front end and All plastic in the past)..

3) If I am simply swapping out a cracked frame for a used frame that was marked salvage in Quebec, Canada.. do I need to do anything special after changing the frame out with the registration ? I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Brrrrr)

Thanks for any help out there... Note: Honda really let me down here, as I feel I am a victim of their Manufacturing/Design defects.

Regards,
Steve
What do you mean by a "delay jump" ???

Does it happen in all gears ???

Have you verified that the part numbers are the same for both frames ???

Other then a visual inspection, I know of no way to tell if a frame is bent until it is rode.

·
IronMan
17,531 Posts
some in racing ( big buck guys) use lasers but i think you would have to have the original specs to do ????

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Were did this frame come from? Insurance companies write off good bikes when they have been in an accident and the repair cost exceeds there value they are then parted out, have got good parts off eBay that way, is this an American bike,? If it's Canadian Honda May cover this

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quebec frame

Be extremely careful of anything salvage out of PQ - they have very loose laws and they don't seem to enforce any they do have,

unless, of course, you happen to have Ontario plates and speak English.

I believe our vehicles in Ontario use the FRAME vin number for registration. I would check with a local license office and see what the

rules say - you might end up with a legal 2006 gl with a 2004 motor installed ! My Nortons are registered the year of frame number,

any year motor will do.

My advice would be to find a frame from anywhere BUT Quebec.

Good luck

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
​I'd give Honda a call, they have been replacing the frames for cracks.
At this you have nothing to loose by asking for it to be replaced.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I just picked my 03 with 90000 miles up from a complete frame swap paid for by honda. I'd get it in and see what u can get done. Liske honda in medford wi got mine covered under warranty and hodag honda in Rhinelander wi did the work.

·
Registered
20,983 Posts
I have located a Used GL1800 Frame on Ebay from a 2006. My 2004 Frame is cracked in the normal place at rear left. I built braces for both sides but still get the delay jump when accelerating

Regards,
Steve
Sorry to say but I think it's Very unlikely that Honda would replace a frame that's been modified.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Sorry to say but I think it's Very unlikely that Honda would replace a frame that's been modified.
That would most likely be true. I would not go to the amount of trouble necessary to change to a used frame that I did not know where it came from, either.
New frame otherwise.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Is the aluminum frame material likely to be bent ? Would it not break before bending ?

·
Registered
16,903 Posts
Steve, I am curious too. I have never heard of the acceleration jump associated with cracked rear fame uprights, the location just inboard of the rear guard bars. Those supports are for the trunk and saddle bags and maybe some stability of the passenger back rest. Is that the location of your cracking? The drive train of our bikes are supported by the main frame and swing arm. If your main framed is cracked the bike can collapse if it lets go. If the rear supports break all the way, most folks just get an annoying click as they ride; so far as I have heard. I have an 02 that has not cracked yet, so I try to pick-up on all the lure with this.

prs

·
Registered
833 Posts
You might want to contact Cal-D. He swapped out his frame a few years ago and knows all the ins and outs.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

Regards,
Steve
Steve
I have done two frame swaps. I installed an 07 frame on a 03 and 06 to 06. The 06 frame will fit, but I would be very hesitant to install a used frame. A new frame from Honda Canada is about $1200 and will come with a blank Serial # which you need to stamp your # on. A salvage frame will have a salvage title and will require re-register at DMV under the salvage number which means your bike becomes an 06. Also you will need the registration of the salvage bike from QC signed over to you.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Steve already went after Honda last fall(before he tried to repair it himself) and they refused to do anything for him.I mentioned that Honda Canada wasn't as forthcoming with the frame repairs as they are in the States in another frame thread here a while ago.His isn't the only one here in Ontario that I know of that Honda won't do anything about.The other one I saw was an 03 and it was cracked right in half with the middle sitting on the ground.Pretty ****ty of Honda IMHO.

BTW I looked up the price of a new frame for my 04 on HDL and an 04 frame was approx $2600 and the 05 and up were around $1500.Talk about kicking a guy when he's down.I have read since that the newer frames will fit though.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Yes, the newer frame will bolt right up to the 04, I would order an 07 (several improvements). The only difference is the 07 and up have 10mm bolts vice 6mm bolts holding the gas tank strap to the frame.( larger to hold the airbag) The 07 frame I ordered came with the bolts and strap and inserts for the tank. It's a big job, first one took me about 50 hrs. (take lots of detailed pictures)I would not even consider a used frame for a couple of reasons, first you have no way to be sure the frame is straight until after the bike is test ridden, plus the issue of having a salvage title. Even if you do not re-register the bike with the new VIN, think what happens if you ever get checked by DMV or your insurance after an accident. If you decide to do it yourself, drop me a PM, there are a few time saver tips.

Have you talked to an inspector at DMV about he issue ? They certainly helped me.

·
Vendor
17,531 Posts
Here in Florida, if a used frame is used, the DMV will change the VIN on the title/registration. For that to happen, the old steering head, with the attached VIN sticker, must be cut from the old frame and presented to them.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I would look further into getting it welded if Honda wont do anything about it. I know of someone on this board who did just that after an accident. I have an 01 and a friend who is a retired Navy tinbender that has an 02 were talking about what we would so if ours broke. He told me that he could weld it if he had the proper machine. He says he welded lots of more difficult places and just as thin of material on aircraft before he retired. He says he could make gussets like Honda uses on the later models. I think I would do this before swapping out a whole frame. BTW I looked at some test pieces he had kept after he retired and I was impressed at how good they were so I know it can be done.JMHO

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
Frame Breakage

It is absolutely criminal that Honda Canada will not replace frames that have cracked or broken. I would take this complaint to the highest levels here if it were my bike. Think about it: Would car manufacturers get away with frames breaking? Does this not involve the safety of the unsuspecting general public? It's up to you, but if it were me, I would take this to the highest levels.

·
Registered
16,903 Posts
Steve
I have done two frame swaps. I installed an 07 frame on a 03 and 06 to 06. The 06 frame will fit, but I would be very hesitant to install a used frame. A new frame from Honda Canada is about $1200 and will come with a blank Serial # which you need to stamp your # on. A salvage frame will have a salvage title and will require re-register at DMV under the salvage number which means your bike becomes an 06. Also you will need the registration of the salvage bike from QC signed over to you.
Cal-D, do you know abut this acceleration jump thing?

Also; if it is OK to take a new unstamped frame and self mark it with the old VIN, why not mill off the old VIN on a good used frame and remark it? (Theoretical, because like you, I would not go to all that trouble using a mystery frame).

I have not looked in the shop manual; is there a step by step in there for swapping frames? What a daunting task!

prs

1 - 20 of 39 Posts