GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I AM THE SERVICE MANAGER AT MALOTT'S HONDA IN MANTECA, CA. WE HAVE PERFORMED SEVERAL WELD RECALLS. IF YOU ARE IN THE SACRAMENTO AND BAY AREA, I CAN GO OVER THE PROCEDURE WITH YOU AND HAVE THE RECALL PERFORMED AND BACK TO YOU IN LESS THAN A WEEK. I'M SURE THAT THERE IS ALOT OF CONCERNED GW OWNERS OUT THERE. ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO CALL ME OR E-MAIL ME. 209-823-7181 ASK FOR BRYAN. [email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is very nice that you are a service manager, but honda have done a very bad work and it is not correct for the goldwing owner, because there must be a new frame.
Service is when you get a new frame and not a welded frame!
Who gives the warranty for the frame, when it is welded???
You??? or the welder??? or honda????
I am shure, when a rewelded bike brake the frame and the driver have got an accident, nobody is liable for it! :x

To weld the frame is not the solution of this problem.
Also frame crack, who is not in the recall (2001). What is about them???

Thats the mostly bad bike who honda ever built, in quality and in processing.

As a manager I would not cry so loud!!!
We are very angry, because we have had spare money for a very long time and then get such a ****.
Where ever gives such a thing, that I buy such a expensive bike and the frame must welded???

Dear GL1800 driver organize a demonstration against honda for a better quality and dont say "thank you Honda for all"!!!

This picture is too big. Click on the link if you can read German
http://www.goldwingfreunde-sued.de/Mopped.jpg

merry christmas for my friends and think on my words because our life is very precious.

Mike

·
Registered
533 Posts
How can I word this?????

Honda America has done a pretty decent job of handleing the frame issue, here, although some dealers have not. My 1800 was sent back to the factory for a complete reweld. It was cracked.

This may mean nothing in Germany, as I have do idea of the support you are getting, except for the fact that it doesn't look very good in that protesting has occurred.

I also do not know what the final outcome of the US recall plan will be when everone is tearing up and down the highways and byways next summer.

I am hoping that you get the attention and service that you deserve.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Mike,

You are yelling at the messenger.

Bryan thank you for the post. Customer relations are just as important as the repair itself.

Bulldog

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you all blind??????
The frame recall is not like the overheating recall.
It can be that your frame brake when you are on the highway and have an accident!!!
IT CAN
I hope that nobody have an accident with the GL1800 and be injured or died.

This Motorbike is like a bomb, but you dont know when it explode!!!

Also in the USA it is only allowed to drive 55 Miles per hour, but in Germany you can drive on the highway so fast as you want.
In Germany you can drive 135 miles per hour on the highway and there is the frame a very big risiko.
I can not understand that such a work from honda from the Goldwingowner can accept.
Here in Germany cost the GoldWing 25000 Dollar and that it is very, very much money.
For that money I must get a excellent Motorbike.

Have a good season.
Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Oh, no here we go again.
Got an idea - Let's talk about oil.

AMSOIL is the best!

That ought to stir the pot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Actually Steve, you are right, but only in the red ones!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Really, once you have used four question marks, is there any benefit to using a fifth? I say we start charging a dollar for each extra punctuation mark, they don't grow on trees ya know. We're gonna run out of punctuation, and then what will we do? :wink:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mike

Blind? no; just rational.

The US 1800s are getting pretty good response from Honda and the repair/recall operation since owners have brought it to the attention of the US government safety regulators and the American Honda Corp. This was done largely by people on this web-site.

Here is the rational part; no one has been injured, a nationwide inspection and repair recall plan is underway, serious cracks (like mine had) results in the bikes being returned to the factory for re-weld or new frame.

Mike, you seem to be screaming about the existence of the problem and your doubts that it can be repaired, rather than trying to get a repair program in place. We are all pissed off about this manufacturing error and are hopeful that the fix will work. If it doesn’t work, I expect that Honda will take further actions, with or without a lawsuit.

I would like to correct a few misunderstandings that you have regarding the driving conditions in the US:
In 1972, all speed limits were lowered to 55 mph, however since then most have been raised to 60, 65 and 70.

US drivers and riders almost always exceed the speed limit by 5 to 20 mph.

Most of us that ride long distances in the western states will ride all day at 85 mph, and occasionally ride at 100 or so when we are alone on the road

None of this is even close to your autobaun, but since it is the load on the suspension that will cause the cracking, speed isn’t the issue anyway. If you crash at 85 or 120 mph, you will wind up in the same bodybag.

BTW, US GL1800s will not go 135 mph. 124.5 is the top measured speed in product tests. Of course, the speedometer is off by 6% to 7%, so if your needle was at 135, the bike was probably only going 124.

Good luck with your efforts, and

MERRY CHRISTMAS

·
Registered
990 Posts
It's a good corporation that sees a problem and takes care of it before the government gets involved. It is also not good customer relations to tell customers that there is no problem when the corporation knows very well that there is. A good corporation dosn't try to weasel out of doing the correct thing. :roll:

·
Registered
21 Posts
A Dealers timely message to "Recall Owners"

Bryan,

Good to see your post. The interest you show for the concerned "Recall Owner" is very timely. I'm sure you can answer many questions to put an owner at ease. We need that kind of assurance from the dealers.

Continue posting and keep us updated on your contact with the customers that your post will attract.

Quick silver #129

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is not normally that a motorbike with this weight welded!!!
Such a bike must be get a new frame and never welded.

I dont want to have such a motorbike because you dont know when this welded cracked.
I mean the bike is a very dangerous bike and I am waiting every day for the headline:
died men with GL1800 because frame is braked

The security for the people is more important than the bike!!!

This is my opinion and I dont understand that you see it so relaxed!

Mike

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
We all do

Mike 1800..............We all take this frame problem very seriously.
Everyone of us are concerned with our safety and the safety of our passengers. We have disscussed this very issue to death, and there are very many opinions. Some people do not like the frame fix, some do. But honda has addressed the problem and there remedy to the problem is to re-weld or take the bike back to the factory and we-weld or replace the frame as they see fit. Thats the bottom line, they are making good on there part of the warranty. If any individual chooses to not go that route thats there decision. So we do not take it lightly at all, but there is only so much a person can do. If there are further problems after the re-weld then honda will have to addresses them then. Take care and have a good holiday season. :)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Mike 1800,

Mike I have spent many good years in the FRG, with many fast miles on the autobahn. In fact I was creamed from the back on the autobahn, on my way to Frankfurt from Paris. So I understand the speed and dangers of your oft limitless speed conditions(till there is an incident, then you are found guilty of driving to fast for conditions.).

Here in America, we are more concerned about the frame problem, just based on the shear numbers of wings sold here in the States. I would bet the the ratio of wings in America/FRG is probably close to 20:1 or more. No we are not being lax, nor are we taking this lying down. However, unlike our European Counterparts, we do not take to the streets in anger, protest or lack of civility. We have found that taking the problem directly to the guilty manufacturer, will get better results. Please do not think that HONDA has not suffered already. The only way they can turn things around to a positive note, is to address the problem, and regain Loyalty.

If you feel that you are not getting a fair shake from Honda Allemande, then perhaps you should take your safety in hand, take a loss and sell your bike. I hear that they sell BMW's in the FRG.

As far as the GL 1800 costing the equivalent of $25,000 in the FRG, how would you have us respond? The increased cost is due to "your" government and the VAT they charge. Now there is a good thing to go to the streets and protest about. If you brought your bike here to resell, it would be worth $12 or $13 thousand dollars.

I feel for your concerns, but my concern weakens, when you are impolite and ask us foreigners (AMERICANS) if we are "blind" and also imply that we are less than smart.

May the Autobahn Gods be with you and deliver you safely to the Ausfahrt of your choice. But please do not visit our country by way of the INTERNET, and insult us.

Respectfully Yours,

Bulldog

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Well Said Bulldog
Mick
:yw1:

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Bat,

As I have stated before, I typically enjoy the spin in your posts. Not so much this time. Personal opinion here is that you put words into Bulldogs post. I certainly do not need to stick up for him here.

The majority of folks on this BBS are tired of the same old retoric in regards to the frame issue. The 1800.org group had added a seperate board to deal with the posts. Are we sticking our heads in the sand? No. If new, real, credible information comes up, I (as I am sure all others here) want to know about it. If it's the same old stuff that continues to be beat up, I'd rather not see it. This includes the age old debate on personal opinion of how Honda should have dealt with it.

My prayers are that Hondas weld procedure is indeed a true fix. Time will indeed tell.

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Yep, here we go again...

...I had enjoyed the past month not reading the same old crap about frame welding. Hope that, UNLESS THERE IS NEW INFORMATION, this is the last thread here on this issue. We've (including Mike1800) not only beat this horse to death, but we're now dealing with horse manure.

Mike1800: No one has been happy about this and it has been a problem that Honda addressed. Need to either get the frame welded or sell the bike. As for riding speeds, etc, the long-distance and pretty fast riding that we do here in the States is just as stressful on the bike as anything in Germany. Ever ridden on an open-road for 120 miles and only see two autos? Try Nevada sometime!!! We are not insensitive to your concerns, it is just that we enjoy riding the Wing, have done what is necessary, and have moved on to riding and enjoying!!! By the way, I enjoy seeing posts from folks overseas, but would like to hear more about your riding there and less about the frame. Sorry!

Bulldog: What can I say! I think we are in agreement and appreciate the good Honda delaers that are working to get us out of this situation.

As for BMW's, they have their problems also, but as least they would be locally made over there and you could go sit in the manufacturer's lap if desired.

As I say to my riding buddies sometimes (most are on Valks): I've decided to trade/sell my Wing and get one that has more load capacity, has more power, and handles better. AND, when that bike exists I'll make the switch!!!

Merry Day After Christmas Everyone!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts