GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did Honda actually admit to the framecrack problem? Kinda wondering if they knowingly sold me a defective product. Bought mine 08/01/2003. Frame was repaired 2 weeks ago,dealer did a good job on the repair. Secondly is the value of the Wing less because of this frame problem,resale might be a tough one,what do you folks think :?:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
If I remember correctly, the recall was after that. My frame cracked and I believe they replaced my bike in late August or early September. A short time after that was when the recall occurred. Someone will be able to give definate dates.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm not sure they ever actually admitted it, but the recalls went out in early October (no specfic date, but the follow up was dated 10/14/03).

In early August, the effort to get Honda's attention was underway. I think it was late August before the NHSTA opened a case.

In any case, I do not think that your dealer was acting poorly. The worst case is that he had heard a rumor, but with no specifics on year, time of build or VIN numbers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unfortunately it is 2002

There are some interesting facts available about what has happened since 1 March 2002 (yes 2002). The problem is Honda are not letting on why they did what they did, but they are telling us when they did things, if you know what I mean :lol: . That then opens the gate for speculation etc.

Read my discussion document on the subject from the link below. All reference documentation is available form the web site, detailing the main points of the whole episode.

Wingmaster, Deadeye-USMV, read it and let me know what you think. :wink:

http://www.hbc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wing/

JoLLy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sad really

It's enough to make your eyes water.

But we will still go out there and by another wikg won't we.

My 04 is due any week now :lol:

JoLLy

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have just gotten my bike back from Marysville. I am not the most patient man on the block but I think it is goiong to work out well.
The bike finely arrived in Ohio just before the Christmas break. It was teturned to me in beautiful condition. detailed from the inside out. All the accessories worked and all I wanted out of this was a new frame. Never cared for the idea of a weld....didn't want a new bike. If I was to get a new bike I would have switched brands.
Got bigPhred back last thursday and took off!

Rode the crap out of him to Ruidoso. The last 10 miles the bike suddenly got squirelly. I thought "$h&* after all this a flat tire on my brand new Metzlers." I tried to baby it in so I could get closer to my NM home and I got within three miles when "womp?!" Everthing feels like it collapsed. Got him up on a centerstand and noted both tires were on the gravel, the back wheel being flat and it was dark and cold. Got a ride to the house and emptied the bike and locked it up. That night the paranoia set in. "Surely they (HOnda) replaced my broken frame and didn't simply weld in in Ohio?" Got ahold of Fred Harmon and told him my story. He kindly said for me to check it out in the daylight. Said if the frame was infact broken, he wanted to report it first to the NHTSA. That morning I got up and got the wheel off. When that is done you can really see the frame....It was beautiful!!!! and new frame and a nail in the tire. First time I had ever had a flat on a moving bike. Weird!! Reading this board in particular, caused me to really second guess what was going on. That's not a bad thing and if there was something amiss, I was ready.
The only thing wrong was a new rear Metzler ruined.
Got a new tire thanks to the Lubbock Dealer and rode back Home on Sunday. 575 of the 585 miles that I put on it were great!

It took some time, but I am statisfied. Honda did me right and my bike is fixed
bob

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
All this talk about frames reminds me that I need to crawl under there have a look at those welds again. I had the recall done, and I'm trying not to be overly concerned about it, but I think keeping an eye on things is probably still a good idea.

John in Vegas (formerly in UK)

·
Registered
58 Posts
When they discovered my crack it was found in while attempting to do the welding. I am fortunate in that I have the best of all worlds in this situation. I don't know what i would have done if the frame was not replaced. I would certainly check it like any other check list you have before taking off.
JMHO
bob

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
My '02 is going in this Saturday for it's back surgery. Tonight I plan to take those before photos, just in case.

·
Registered
58 Posts
good luck, man....
document, document, document!!!!
write it down and leave out the personal opinions, write everything and then put in a safe place and I hope you dont have to use it.
bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts