GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing the progressive spring upgrade on the rear and using your guide on your page, it has been extreemly helpful thanks so very much for all the work you have done.
here is my dilema, the bike is an 06 up on a ac delco motorcycle jack and this jack ,as many ,used the centerstand pivoted up to rest the weight of the bike on I'm as far as removing the bottom shock bolt , with the bike sitting on nthe stand pivoted up there seems to be no way to get this bottom bolt out sideways not enough room.
I've tried to support the swing arm with a bottle jack moving it up and down but not enough clearance to get the bolt out sideways any idea's
Thanks so very much Bob-snowman

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
Bob,

I have always done this with the bike sitting on the centerstand, and have never tried it on a jack like you are doing.

You do have to lift the rear tire a bit to release the pressure on the bolt to pull it out, but that is about it.

Can you take it off the jack and put it on the centerstand?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wanted it up in the air beause I'm doing a lot of other work also ,and wanted it higher up to work on , I guess if I have to I can try and get it off the bike jack and put it up on the centerstand it looks like it's a must.
I'm glad I waited to take the front forks off or I'd have to do that first ,
Ok thanks Fred for the quick reply I really appreciate it very much, your guide on the how to is just excellent . I owe You
Bob

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it Fred a little pry downward on the centerstand came right out , should i try and add fluid to this actuator unit it's starts working at 4 on the scale when engaged (reading wing magazine) or is this really not necceary with the new progressive spring? and what about the new 460 shock should I do that now? 2006 with 10k miles Thanks much

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
If the motor starts to labor at 4, that isn't too bad. It's up to you if you want to service the fluid in the actuator or not to make it start working right at 1 or not. Though there is some logic in doing it, as it will probably get worse, and half the work is getting the shock off the bike, which you have already done.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Fred.How do you add fluid to the actuator? and what is the correct fluid?

I'll be adding the progressive spring,and might as well make sure the fluid is topped off too.

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
Rocky said:
Fred.How do you add fluid to the actuator? and what is the correct fluid?

I'll be adding the progressive spring,and might as well make sure the fluid is topped off too.
I have been using SS-7 Honda suspension fluid. It appears very similar in viscosity, color, smell, and feel to what is in it from the factory.

I have a complete photo gallery on refilling the actuator here:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/rearshock&page=all

I also show in my videos how to do it.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rocky I got mine all apart today , Fred I'll fill it as you suggest I have it apart,it will get worse, how would You bleed ( or do I need to bleed?)it after filling do you hook up 12 volts to terminals to run motor to bleed I'll get the ss-7 fluid, i want it to start working at 0 or1, Rocky and I are in the middle of this , thanks so much again

·
Registered
379 Posts
You should get Freds video DVD set. Fred shows how to do the rear shock removal from start to finish including filling the adjuster so it starts working at #1. Fred shows you how to do many many more repairs to the bike. The video set is very well worth the small price that it costs. Heck if you do your own valve adjustment using Freds videos you will save more money by making the two tensioner tools than the DVD set costs. If you make the tools in the video you don't have to buy the tools from Honda, and you do need the tools.

I just got my set including the up date discs and only wish I had bought them sooner. Do your self a favor and get the DVD set, it will pay for it's self over and over again.

Pap

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
You need to set the shock to 0 before you start the bleed process. Then you open up the line on the actuator and fill it to the top, being careful not to loose any fluid in the line itself.

The video really does show the process better than I can try to describe it. If you have access to it, review the rear shock section.

SS-7 fluid can be bought at most any Honda dealer.

Another option is to send the shock to Max at Traxxion for a full upgrade. Max bleeds the actuator when he rebuilds the shock so they start working at 1 like they should.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
For all you guys that use a lift to remove the rear shock. I have done this a few times. First thing you do is with the bike on the center stand, get under there and remove the bottom shock bolt. Then stick a 3/8x 1 inch bolt in its place just to hold the bike up while you get it on the lift. When you get it up and the rest of the stuff apart you can just lift on the rear tire a little and pull the short bolt out. Use the same short bolt to replace it with till you get everything back together and the bike off the lift and back on the center stand. Last thing you do is replace and torque the bottom shock bolt. Done. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts