GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start out by saying I bought one of his original sets for the C14 and in my opinion they were very helpful. I just bought a copy of his 18 disc set for the Goldwing. I have watched some of a friend's discs before I ordered my own set. They have been very informative.

Now my complaint. How did you justify releasing the video of the Wheel Bearing R&R? If you wanted to show us how everything could go wrong due to the refusal to use any similance to the correct tool, then you accomplished your goal. I do not know how many people on this board have welders so they can weld a bead on a wheel bearing so they can drive the bearing out. I sure don't. The least you could have done was to followup with the correct method. Usually you have followed the manual and suggested some tips to make these repairs easier. I know you have the statement that these videos are for entertainment only,but you know good and well these are being bought to guide us and give us a visual reference to properly repair our wings.

Again, I have learned alot from your videos. The Wheel Bearing R&R should have been a blooper and the correct method published.

·
Registered
469 Posts
:eek:4::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::eek:4:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
I'll bet if you send them back he'll refund your $

·
Registered
84 Posts
???

For a backyard mechanic, any method that works is a winner. Some of the things I have seen [ Honda mechanics ] do in a well equipped shop, would not be believed.

Let me start out by saying I bought one of his original sets for the C14 and in my opinion they were very helpful. I just bought a copy of his 18 disc set for the Goldwing. I have watched some of a friend's discs before I ordered my own set. They have been very informative.

Now my complaint. How did you justify releasing the video of the Wheel Bearing R&R? If you wanted to show us how everything could go wrong due to the refusal to use any similance to the correct tool, then you accomplished your goal. I do not know how many people on this board have welders so they can weld a bead on a wheel bearing so they can drive the bearing out. I sure don't. The least you could have done was to followup with the correct method. Usually you have followed the manual and suggested some tips to make these repairs easier. I know you have the statement that these videos are for entertainment only,but you know good and well these are being bought to guide us and give us a visual reference to properly repair our wings.

Again, I have learned alot from your videos. The Wheel Bearing R&R should have been a blooper and the correct method published.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
By the way, I've heard that the right size expandable concrete anchor can be inserted into the bearing and expanded and then used to drive it out, and this is cheaper than getting the Honda tool. Though I haven't yet tried this technique myself, but it sounds like it would work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
By the way, I've heard that the right size expandable concrete anchor can be inserted into the bearing and expanded and then used to drive it out, and this is cheaper than getting the Honda tool. Though I haven't yet tried this technique myself, but it sounds like it would work.
It's true works great :yes1:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Point taken. I agree I should have gotten the right tool. At the time I was filming it I needed to get it done and I just used what I had on hand.

If I do another update, I'll try to get the right tool and re-film it.
I disagree Fred. Heck, anyone can do it with the right tool! It takes a mechanic with some pretty special talents to perform these tricks with what's available in the workshop. We need alternatives!:joke::joke::joke:

You know cross threading is better than a lock washer? :joke::joke::joke:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just get a cheap heat gun and blind hole bearing puller from harbor freight. You can probably use the expander bolt but the heat on the wheel is the real trick.;)

·
Registered
19,255 Posts
sandpaper makes a good oil filter wrench

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like I said, I appreciate your videos. Your videos of the Wing and C14 have been very helpful. I still would not send the videos back. Fact is I had a bootleg copy available to me for free and felt I should pay for them instead. Watched some of them yesterday.

S

·
0 Posts

Do you realize you just spit in the face of god?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
sandpaper makes a good oil filter wrench
So does a screwdriver or any long narrow object............:lol:
Works for any size filter.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Point taken. I agree I should have gotten the right tool. At the time I was filming it I needed to get it done and I just used what I had on hand.

If I do another update, I'll try to get the right tool and re-film it.

and feet! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Like I said, I appreciate your videos. Your videos of the Wing and C14 have been very helpful. I still would not send the videos back. Fact is I had a bootleg copy available to me for free and felt I should pay for them instead. Watched some of them yesterday.

Well...........whoever made the bootleg should be ashamed of themselves! Fred put a lot of time effort and sweat into putting this together and should be rightfully compensated. You did the right thing, but whoever is bootlegging them needs castrated! jmho :cool:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
There ain't no replacement for The Correct Tool.:nojoke:

1. Wear Safety Glasses
2. Hitting a Driver With A Hammer May Cause Serious Injury To Your Thumb.
3. Wear Safety Shoes
4. Driving Out A Bearing Can Cause Serious Injury To Your Big Toe When It Falls Free.
5. When you throw the Hammer across the shop aim for something Cheap to Replace.
:joke:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts