GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're waiting for your review on Traxxion forks.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Hey Fred, Did you make any video's of the upgrade/install for the rest of us guys that live nowhere near a Traxxion facility???? Maybe you and Max could put your heads together package something like that for D.I.Y.er's. Terry

·
Registered
762 Posts
Teaser1, Fred's videos already cover removing the forks and rear shock. I followed his very complete directions and had no problem. I'm shipping the suspension off later today.

At some point in the future, I'm hoping Fred will service the forks himself and show us all how to use a spring compression tool as Max said needs to be done in this thread: http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72963. The rear shock is apparently not serviceable by the typical DIY'er.

Arthur

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
The Traxxion front forks need a special spring compressor tool to remove the spring from the damping cartridge. Max has said that spring compressor tool cost around 230 dollars. That is the only con that I have with the Traxxion setup.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Fred H. said:
Be patient. I need to get some more miles on them and do more testing on them. I will publish a full review when I am done. This cold weather isn't helping any.....
Are you done yet?

(I'm TRYING to be patient! LOL.)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Fred H. said:
I'll bet I can find a way to do it without the high dollar compressor tool. I don't need no stinkin special tools, got the bruises to prove it too.
That's what I like to hear! :lol:

Especially now that I'm committed to the upgrade...the forks and rear shock are now in the care of UPS and enroute to Woodstock. :)

Arthur

S

·
0 Posts
Here it is boys; 8)

The Traxxion front forks need a special spring compressor tool to remove the spring from the damping cartridge

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
So if the spring is INSIDE the damping cartridge, why would you need to remove it anyway??

If all you want to do is change oil, seems like you could pull out the whole cartridge asssy, dump the oil out of the fork leg, let the cartridge drain, and reinstall without ever opening the cartridge up.

I'll have to check this out with Max when he gets back from Japan, but I bet you can do a simple fork fluid change without any special tools.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fred H. said:
So if the spring is INSIDE the damping cartridge, why would you need to remove it anyway??
I think when Max was talking about a 40,000 mile service on the forks he was talking about a through cleaning and inspection of all the cartridge parts which would include the rebound piston -- which is inside the damping cartridge.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
That picture above looks like a inverted fork from a sportbike and the damping cartridge is inside of the fork. With the Traxxion AK-20 kit the fork spring goes over the damping cartridge not inside of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts