GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about a fix for the turn signal cancel duration? I'm your first customer if you're still working on it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Put me on the list also!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hey GarageLogic, do you have the mayors approval to use that!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I solved the problem by wiring in an illuminated push-on push-off switch to interrupt the signal to the blinker timer from the speedometer. When the switch is open the switch cap will be illuminated and the timer will be disabled, when the switch is closed the timer will be operative and the switch will not be illuminated.

I activate the timer only on the open highway, and deactivate it and cancel the signals myself in all other situations. Bringing my GW home from HDL in Shadyside I almost got killed because the damn signal cancelled.

Not a good design but easily changed to behave more like my other bikes that do NOT auto-cancel.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Can you give us more info, like a radio shack number for the switch (or comparable info for other source) and just where you spliced in the switch (i.e., where the wire from the speedo to the blinker timer is best accessed)? I'm not very good at electrical/electronics, but I'm real good at following instructions. TIA

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
I have a proto-type on my bike, and it works great. It automatically extends the blink cycle for you when you need it, but doesn't extend it when you don't need it extended. It is a really slick design, if I do say so myself, and I find it works well in almost all circumstances, and eliminates the need to push the button again.

I just haven't had time to carry forward with making and selling them, but I hope to do that soon. I have a lot of irons in the fire right now, and I need to get some other stuff cleared off my plate before I can start making and selling them.

I am right in the middle of another big project that you will hear about soon, as well as working on a new tool for taking off tires, and manufacturing and selling some LED brake lights for the Givi trunk for the FJR. I need a clone of myself so I can get all this stuff done...

·
Registered
642 Posts
JMATANDEM said:
Can you give us more info, like a radio shack number for the switch (or comparable info for other source) and just where you spliced in the switch (i.e., where the wire from the speedo to the blinker timer is best accessed)? I'm not very good at electrical/electronics, but I'm real good at following instructions. TIA
I got the illuminated DPDT on-on pushbutton switch, lens cap, and bulb from www.mouser.com.

switch 633-kb26skw01
lens cap 633-at485cb
bulb 633-at611-12v

total about $9, I liked the illuminated switch to indicate the auto-cancel is DISABLED.

To locate the speed signal wire:

In the right fairing pocket, find the large wiring connector - there is a small connector with six wires in it on the left side.

The white wire with a black tracer is the one. Cut into this and connect to the normally closed contacts on the switch. This way, when the switch is off (not illuminated) the auto-cancel is active. You will need to wire 12v to the switch through the NO contacts so that you can illuminate the cap when the switch is open and the auto-cancel has been disabled.

I'm playing with where to mount the switch. I'm thinking that to the left of the display on the top cover so that the switch cap is visible on the lower side of the instrument cluster would work. You would need a 4-conductor plug/socket so that you can easily remove the top cover without unsoldering anything.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Fred,

Please go forward with the production/sales of the Turn Signal "Blinkster" (blink extender). I would like for you to put me on your list to be notified when it becomes available.

I purchased your dvd's shortly after getting my '06 GW, and must say, that although not "polished," they are very informative and entertaining. I would recommend your dvd's and the Honda Service CD to everyone when they purchase a GoldWing.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
136 Posts
As an option, remember that you can extend the blinking by repeatedly pushing the turn signal switch in the direction you want--like every 5 seconds or so. Admittedly, it's a bit of a nuisance, but perhaps no more than flipping a switch. Your choice.

Cheers....Lee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts