GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to hill country soon. Looking for suggestions of roads to ride other than 16, the 3's and Willow City Loop. All fun but, you know, been there done that multiple times. Been to Enchanted Rock, Stonehenge and Luckenbach.

Staying in Fredericksburg.

Please advise of your findings, suggested routes, stops, etc.
Also would appreciate any updates on the fire situation down there.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Going to hill country soon. Looking for suggestions of roads to ride other than 16, the 3's and Willow City Loop. All fun but, you know, been there done that multiple times. Been to Enchanted Rock, Stonehenge and Luckenbach.

Staying in Fredericksburg.

Please advise of your findings, suggested routes, stops, etc.
Also would appreciate any updates on the fire situation down there.
Did this one yesterday:
*Leave Fredericksburg on Hwy. 290 and continue 3 miles east. Look for the brown TxDOT highway sign that says "Old Tunnel Wildlife Area". Turn right (south) on the Old San Antonio Road. Proceed 10.5 miles. The Old Tunnel WMA will be on the left at the top of the hill, turn left onto Alamo Road. Alamo Springs and Cafe is located right next to the bat cave. The cafe is well-regarded and the bat cave is worth stopping to check out (especially at dusk when 3.5 million bats leave the cave). Just pick a road and keep riding. We ended up in Comfort after I turned on the GPS to get back to Cibolo where we are staying. Nice roads.

Here's another:
*Take N. Main St. (Rt 965) to Enchanted Rock. Bring sneakers to climb that massive, slick rock. Continue on this road and watch out for the free-range cattle. Turn right on Rt 16 back to Fredericksburg or take any left and head over toward 281.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Take TX 16 south to 2093 over to Harper, then 783 to Doss, 648 to 87. Go south on 87 and pick up 2323 which will take you up to Llano. From Llano you can take 152 west through Castell back to 87.

·
Registered
430 Posts
That area out of Hunt is pretty nice riding. Ask at Hunt about Stonehenge if you haven't been there. IIRC that road out of Kerrville to Hunt and then on to Vanderpool, Utopia and Bandera is a fine ride. Along the way you could take a side trip from Vanderpool to Leakey across the Frio river that George Strait sings about in All My Ex's.

Lived in Texas 25 years and there's lots I miss about it. Austin and San Antonio along with that country to the west all the way to Big Bend is simply some of the best in the USA...great BBQ, riding, ranch country and people.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Mee, too...

I guess that was in Texas not Virginia, You threw me. I didn't recognize the roads.
I was thinking likewise, and was (again) missing the Paradise Diner from the days when it was one of the best Greek diners on the east coast.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
You already know the big ones, but I also love the areas in and around Bandera, Utopia and Leaky. Some great riding there.

Also, a great riding road that is not mentioned very much is "Devil's Backbone" (RM 32). It starts just SE of Blanco which is only about 35 to 40 miles from Fredericksburg. I think it is one of Texas' most scenic drives. Officially called R.M. 32, the Devil's Backbone is a razor-backed ridge overlooking some nice Hill Country vistas. MAP .

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I agree with Old Tunnel Road out of Fredricksburg, but the Alamo Springs Cafe sucks, IMHO. Filty facility and wait staff. Poor service. Average burger. If you continue on South on the Tunnel Road, however, you come to 473. Turn left to Sisterdale, then right on 1376, then left again on 473. Take that to 474 and turn right into Boerne. The Dodging Duck, on Highway 46 in Boerne is a great place to eat, a microbrewery. Then you can follow 46 East to Bergheim and turn left at the light. That takes you back to 473 in Kendalia. Turn right, then immediately left onto Crabapple Road, and follow that to 1888. Turn right and go to the stop sign at 1623. Turn left, and follow that to Albert (don't blink, it's only three buildings). Have a beer under the neatest live oak you have ever seen. Then ride North to Stonewall on 290 and turn left back to Fredericksburg.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Another route is to take 16 South to Kerrville, then West to Ingram and take 39 West to Hunt. From there you can continue on to 83, and turn left to Leakey. Then left on 337 to Lost Maples, then right on 183 to Vanderpool. You can go on to Utopia (if you stay 7 days, you win the Texas Open) or to Tarpley and eat at Mac and Ernies.....a fantastic place. Lots of little roads to work your way back....all good.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I agree with Old Tunnel Road out of Fredricksburg, but the Alamo Springs Cafe sucks, IMHO. Filty facility and wait staff. Poor service. Average burger. If you continue on South on the Tunnel Road, however, you come to 473. Turn left to Sisterdale, then right on 1376, then left again on 473. Take that to 474 and turn right into Boerne. The Dodging Duck, on Highway 46 in Boerne is a great place to eat, a microbrewery. Then you can follow 46 East to Bergheim and turn left at the light. That takes you back to 473 in Kendalia. Turn right, then immediately left onto Crabapple Road, and follow that to 1888. Turn right and go to the stop sign at 1623. Turn left, and follow that to Albert (don't blink, it's only three buildings). Have a beer under the neatest live oak you have ever seen. Then ride North to Stonewall on 290 and turn left back to Fredericksburg.

slammr,

I agree this is a great route. You should try it

·
Registered
580 Posts
I like to just decide which road I'm taking when I come to it. I've found several of the ones listed that way and I've never found a bad one in that area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts