GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best choice to purchase? Fred's DVD's or a sevice manual? The DVD's are $109 vs $70 for the manual. I have a 2008 model.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I have both and the two are different. The manual gives you all the technical info, and Freds DVDs gives a hands on tutorial. Both are a great asset to have if you do your on work. If you are just going to change the oil, air filter, and other not to hard to do things then Freds DVDs are great. For deeper digs into the bike BOTH would be the way to go.

·
Registered
517 Posts
What's the best choice to purchase? Fred's DVD's or a sevice manual? The DVD's are $109 vs $70 for the manual. I have a 2008 model.

This is one where you spring for both - there's a lot of info in the service manual but its really dry , seeing Fred do things makes a whole lt easier to tackle them ( once you get past his toes :22yikes:).
If you're going to do anything other than change oil get them both - I did JMHO

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Gosh, BOTH is the correct answer. To pick one for now and other for later, a newbie may find Fred's dvd hands on action easy and more informative. Again both are best value. Written manual has torque values, written instructions, etc. Best of luck, go for broke, and you will need a couple weeks to digest all the info! Just reviewing it.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
If you are handy, and usually do your own work I would have to say the manual first....... Then get Fred's DVDs at a later time if you cannot do both at the same time.

If you don't do much of your own work and just want a to know more about your bike and be able to do simple tasks then I would say the DVDs might be more help. Get them first.

Like has been said here before having both is your best way to go.......

JMHO

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
another vote for both,but I think if I could only buy one,it would be the manual because of the techical data.
For example,if you wanted to look up the torque value for something in Fred's videos,it would take some time to watch it and figure out when Fred will tell you what it is.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You should consider both. :thumbup:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Everyone told me to get both
Honda Service Manual (not brand X)
Fred's Video's
I got them both

I worked on my own GL1500 with just the Service Manual
and found it difficult to figure out how to remove some
of the plastic.
I'm getting ready to change the air filter in the next
few days and have studied both. I have to say that
Fred's detailed Video would have been enough and
preferred for this project.

Just a side note to Fred
When the discussion on how to adjust the cruise control
comes up again, there is a nice close up of the calibration
arrows on disk4 at the 16:57 mark...just in case someone
wants to see what those are about.
JMO

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
BOTH :agree:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I hate to disagree with the masses but for getting a maintenance task or repair done I find the DVD to be more valuable than the manual. I like being able to see the job at hand actually being done. I've been known to bring the DVDs and my laptop right into the garage. If I am not mistaken you can get access to the manual on line if you are an HRC member. That is good enough for me.

Hector

·
Trained Killer Member
1,533 Posts
If you are only going to buy one, I would suggest getting the OEM Honda Service manual. Nothing can replace it. My DVD's aren't meant to be used in lieu of the proper manual. They are just a guide so you can basically see what a particular job involves.
How unassuming and humble is THAT! Here's a GL1800riders.com GURU being modest about his awesome product. That's what I'm talkin' about here people! Fred...you Da Man! :bow::bow::bow:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ditto on Both, you will find yourself so confident in your abilities there is no end to the possibilities. Both+++

·
Registered
537 Posts
if you can afford to buy a wing, then you can afford to buy BOTH....

the first time you do a service on your own, you will have saved
more than the cost of BOTH. a 24k service can run easily $400
or more depending on the dealer

that's it in a nutshell :cool:

·
Registered
469 Posts
My vote is for both, but if I could just have one, it would be Fred's videos.:lol:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Both are the way to go.:thumbup: Thanks Fred

·
Registered
931 Posts
IF I had to choose one or the other, I'd opt for the DVD. But clearly it's best to have both.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
There's a reason in medicine it's "see one, do one, teach one..."

Both is the ideal answer... well worth the expense. I learned how to take off the top shelter etc just from the manual.. but I would had never considered doing the brakes or forks, etc just from reading the manual...

But, after watching Fred do it on video... I realized it wasn't that hard...

Take out the gas tank... are you nuts?!? But after watching Fred do it, it's a piece of cake...:coffee1:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts