GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who has done Freds GPS glare fix had to cut the GPS cover? Since I already had everything off to change the air filter, I thought I might shim the bottom up on the instrument cluster up to get rid of some of the glare. I notices some wear marks on the instrument face and when I looked closer, my cover is already touching the GPS screen at the bottom and the speedometer/tach screen at the at the top. I don't see any way the cluster can be tilted up without doing some cutting on the GPS cover.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
No cutting required on my 08. Pull the top cover, install, three washers per side on the aft two bolts that secure the instrument cluster panel and reassemble. Its the easiest, cheapest and most effective mod I've made. Thanks again Fred!

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No cutting required on my 08. Pull the top cover, install, three washers per side on the aft two bolts that secure the instrument cluster panel and reassemble. Its the easiest, cheapest and most effective mod I've made. Thanks again Fred!
I wish mine had that much clearance. My cover touchs the botton of the GPS screen all the way across at the bottom, enough so that it has worn a place on the clear screen over the Gps that is visible when you pull the cover off. If I raise the botten/rear of the instrument cluster up any appreciable amount, I dought the rear of the cover will latch back in place.I don't really want to cut the cover because it's a costom painted one that is done up to look like black graphite and any cutting will probably chip the paint at the cut edges.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I tried Fred's method, it helped a little, but just moved the glare to a slightly different spot.

So as stated above, I made an acrylic shield. I've sold about 30 so far, mostly to folks on this forum and a handful on eBay.

The feedback so far has been positive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xllNomM7UVw

1 - 5 of 5 Posts