GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,224 Posts
The cut key on the knob is too short to engage the cylinders on the start switch. Haven't tired it on the trunk, but is a good question. I'll try it tomorrow, but it is too cold to walk out to my unheated detatched garage this evening. LOL
 

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
Joined
·
4,676 Posts
Morph said:
What prevents the key when left in the gas door, to dis-allow the bike to be started or the trunk and saddlebags to be opened ? http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/keyknob

Bill,

The Fred H. gas door key won't fit into either the trunk or the ignition.

I usually take mine out when I'm stopped with the bike out of sight (such as in a restaurant, at work or overnight). I put them in the trunk and replace them when I get back on the bike.


Bob E.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,947 Posts
i use the same key, not sure but i bet the key could be used to make a new key that would open everything and operate the ignition switch, if it was a Harley someone probably would have stolen a few that way by now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,613 Posts
A knob key can and will start your bike or open the trunk using only a coupla tools in your tool kit. I will not, of course, publish the method, but you can do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,224 Posts
Waldo said:
A knob key can and will start your bike or open the trunk using only a coupla tools in your tool kit. I will not, of course, publish the method, but you can do it.
Sure it could, but the question I have asked before, and never had an answer is. . . Have any of you or anyone you actually know had a 1800 wing stolen ever, with or without the knob key, or even leaving the key in the ignition? :?
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
21,873 Posts
The knob itself hides the lock on the glovebox when it is inserted, so you would have no idea it has a key attached to it unless you owned a GL1800, and most other GL1800 owners don't go around stealing bikes. It just looks like a knob that turns. And if you use the radio knob, it matches the other knobs on the bike so it fits right in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
I made two keys, one for ignition and one for the locking glove box. They pretty much stay in all the time. Somebody wants my bike that bad, let them take it.

I just have a problem with helmets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,054 Posts
Fred H. said:
The knob itself hides the lock on the glovebox when it is inserted, so you would have no idea it has a key attached to it unless you owned a GL1800, and most other GL1800 owners don't go around stealing bikes. It just looks like a knob that turns. And if you use the radio knob, it matches the other knobs on the bike so it fits right in.
I have on on the right front compartment and the gas lid. It looks good. And you don't have to take your key out of the ignition at gas stops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Fred H. said:
The knob itself hides the lock on the glovebox when it is inserted, so you would have no idea it has a key attached to it unless you owned a GL1800, and most other GL1800 owners don't go around stealing bikes. It just looks like a knob that turns. And if you use the radio knob, it matches the other knobs on the bike so it fits right in.
I was talking with another 1800 rider and he asked why I didn't have a key hole for my right side pocket and if it was a mod I had done. Pulled it out and showed him the key stub. He was very surprised.

When I made mine I went to a locksmith friend of mine with the ignition key marked to the depth of the side pocket and gas tank door and had him cut the key just to the mark and nothing above it. Even if somebody did get the knob key they still can't start the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Toyo said:
I made two keys, one for ignition and one for the locking glove box. They pretty much stay in all the time. Somebody wants my bike that bad, let them take it.

I just have a problem with helmets.
Hey Fred - is that knob a "Honda" only thing or can you get them elsewhere? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,613 Posts
Toyo said:
Hey Fred - is that knob a "Honda" only thing or can you get them elsewhere? Thanks.
Regular radio knob. Chrome is 2 for five bucks and from the dealer you can get black ones for about 3 bucks each.

Rickster. I have heard of a few stolen from here and there, but the best anti-theft device on your bike is the word "HONDA" on your valve covers. But, with the '06 retailing at $25K, that may change....

Best solution for safety with knob keys is to swap with a trusted friend the tumblers of the gas door and the pocket lock. Those knob keys WILL NOT fit your trunk and ignition and neither will his. Keep a spare for both hidden away.



here's one on my VTX and I have one on my Valkyrie. I never remove them and have had no problems.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
501 Posts
here is what i did for the honda knob1

lightly file edges round to insert into knob


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
I'm ignorant to much of what is being said here, but I'm also very interested in what is being said here. I'm to be getting my first Wing (07 Silver/ABS) after the first of the year, and it appears to me that I am completely in the dark regarding what keys are supplied when I take delivery of the bike. Obviously a modification has been done, but is it just something that ingenious wing owners have figured out how to do, or is it patterned after a knob key supplied by Honda? Help a poor ignorant guy out. What keys are supplied by Honda, and are they all universally functional? (In other words, what operates what?)

Thanks,

Metric4me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,947 Posts
Metric4me said:
I'm ignorant to much of what is being said here, but I'm also very interested in what is being said here. I'm to be getting my first Wing (07 Silver/ABS) after the first of the year, and it appears to me that I am completely in the dark regarding what keys are supplied when I take delivery of the bike. Obviously a modification has been done, but is it just something that ingenious wing owners have figured out how to do, or is it patterned after a knob key supplied by Honda? Help a poor ignorant guy out. What keys are supplied by Honda, and are they all universally functional? (In other words, what operates what?)

Thanks,

Metric4me
one of the great things about the wing is ONE key opens-operates everything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Metric4Me,

We're disscussing a creation by Fred Harmon : http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/keyknob

The idea is to allow the gas tank door and right side pocket to be opened without having to remove the key from the ignition.

You'll find a lot of good ideas have been brought in by Fred. I hope that you buy the 07.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,015 Posts
Read Fred's write up. If you have any questions after that come back and we will help you out more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Thanks all. I did read the write up, but what I don't know is whether or not Fred's idea has been generated from his own sense of need, or patterned after a similar product made by Honda?
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
21,873 Posts
Metric4me said:
Thanks all. I did read the write up, but what I don't know is whether or not Fred's idea has been generated from his own sense of need, or patterned after a similar product made by Honda?
I didn't invent this, I just documented how to do it. The idea has been around for a while, I don't know who first came up with it, but I am not aware of Honda having any such product.

Lots of folks like to use Radio Knobs, as they match the look better. I can no longer find the ones I got at Lowes as they now carry a different type that are made of Bakelyte, which can't be melted like the plastic ones. So you might be better off ordering a Honda radio knob and using it instead.

If you are really worried about theft, you could take apart the lock, and change a couple of the "tumbler keys" (or slides) in the cylinder and recut the key to match the new pattern. I have taken apart several helmet locks and re-keyed them, and it really isn't that hard to do. I have a photo gallery of dissasembling helmet locks for the FJR here:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/helmetlocks

Though I have not taken apart the glove box or gas tank lock on the Wing, I would expect it to be of a similar design. All you should have to do is file down a portion of the key and the insert it into the cylinder and file down the top of the slide(s) so they were flush again, or swap some of the slides and then make the key pattern match it. This way it would no longer work the ignition at all. Though this is probably more work than most would want to go to.

Here is a photo of the slides out of a typical helmet lock. They are color coded, and if you look close you can see the slot that the key fits into is positioned slightly higher or lower on each slide. This is how the lock works, when the proper key is inserted they all line up even at the top and bottom and allow the lock cylinder to rotate.


 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top