walgreens has an offer for a free aarp membership

also if your already a member, walgrens will give you a free $10 gift card

i use the aarp card for discounts on hotels

its well worth it just for that

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
AARP?

Sounds good. Do they offer discounts on parts & accesories? DQ? How about towing?Better than GWRRA? :?
the hobo

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
We receive AARP discounts at hotels. Never shown an AARP card yet.

:shock:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Tony in AZ said:
Right on, Tony. Most places will give you the discount regardless. I'm no longer a member because I don't like AARP's political positions on too many things.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Wanderer said:
Tony in AZ said:
Right on, Tony. Most places will give you the discount regardless. I'm no longer a member because I don't like AARP's political positions on too many things.
I've never joined for the same reason (and not wanting to admit that I'm "qualified" for membership). I've never failed to get a better price that the discounts offered for AARP or AAA Motor Club members.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I was an AARP member briefly, but during the last election cycle I was dismayed at the political stance the AARP was taking (using my dues to do so).

I dropped the membership and, as others have said, there are many other discounts available for seniors. Just asking for "the senior citizen rate" will get you the AARP discount without having to be a member.

What I don't like is someone giving me the senior discount when I didn't ask for it. :(
(I'm only 55 years old and sometimes like to think that I don't look like a senior citizen.)

By the way, is it significant that we're having a discussion of the AARP on a Gold Wing discussion forum? Is the Gold Wing really an "old man's bike"? :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Turned down AARP for the same reason others have stated above. I will not give them money or support to push political positions I am against. Way too far left for me.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Wanderer said:
Tony in AZ said:
think about this..... when was the last time you were asked for your marriage license ( if you are married) to prove you were husband and wife?

I've been married over 33 yrs..... never been asked for proof of marriage.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
333 said:
Turned down AARP for the same reason others have stated above. I will not give them money or support to push political positions I am against. Way too far left for me.
DITTO!

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Tony in AZ said:
Wanderer said:
[quote="Tony in AZ":2jqml3hj]We receive AARP discounts at hotels. Never shown an AARP card yet.
think about this..... when was the last time you were asked for your marriage license ( if you are married) to prove you were husband and wife?

:shock:[/quote:2jqml3hj]

LOL...Let me ask you this...I'm a Arizona Native...Probably before you...can I come back?...lol...do I need to prove it...

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
gwlrhfarm said:
Tony in AZ said:
Wanderer said:
[quote="Tony in AZ":2rzfvord]We receive AARP discounts at hotels. Never shown an AARP card yet.

LOL...Let me ask you this...I'm a Arizona Native...Probably before you...can I come back?...lol...do I need to prove it...[/quote:2rzfvord]

if you were born before 1954 , I will allow you back in the state.

There may be a 'pop quiz'....... IE: Who are / were Wallace & Ladmo?

:wink: :wink:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
333 said:

This is why I won't join their origination.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
What is AARP??? What does it stand for? I keep getting the mail, but nowhere there is a meaning for it....

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I too won't have anything to do with AARP due to their political stance. I have gotten a long well with AAA. I get AAA discounts on car rentals at Hertz, vacations, even 25% off paint at Dunn-Edwards.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Actually they lost me well over 10 years ago when they joined and became very active with the other Washington anti gun groups and organizations, supporting all kinds of anti gun bills and such. They use their membership numbers as if all the members supported their anti gun stance and lobbying.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i dont give a flip if they support eating crap sandwiches

if i can get a couple hundred dollars --per year--savings on hotels

im all in

i paid $27 for 3 years membership

and now will get $20 refunded from walgreens

$10 for me and $10 for laura

so that leaves $7 for the three years membership

if they can support a political agenda on 2/3 of a cent per day from me

then go for it

it costs them far more than the $7 for the magazine shipping and the 6 letters a month i toss in the trash

as i see it

joining them costs them money

i seriously dont see how any of youall purchase gas for your bike

where do you think that comes from, and whom it supports

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Tony you'll probably get a kick out of this. I played golf with Ladmo and one or two of his kids when I was 10. Was on their show a few times too.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I seriously don't see how any of you all purchase gas for your bike.
Where do you think that comes from, and whom it supports?
The oil that our gasoline is refined from comes from all over the world, including the U.S.

Loren, the AARP isn't just using your money, it's using you. Their political clout is based on the number of its members, not just on the money that the members pay in membership fees. They go to Washington, boasting that they have 35 million members--and implying that all those members support their left-wing agenda.

I don't want my name associated with the group, and I don't want to be counted among their members in their lobbying efforts.

And, as others pointed out, you can save as much or more on motel rooms without being an AARP member.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts