GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
333 said:
Turned down AARP for the same reason others have stated above. I will not give them money or support to push political positions I am against. Way too far left for me.
Interesting :roll: I didn't realize supporting the drug companies at the expense of their consumer members was a left wing position. Then again maybe the CEOs of Merck and Pfizer are AARP members.

Pete

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm amazed that some people object to paying the dues to an organization that has some benefit for senior citizens, based solely on what they do with some of the money.
How do you feel about paying taxes, knowing that a considerable amount of your tax dollars is being spent in a way you wouldn't likely agree with?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Silverback said:
How do you feel about paying taxes, knowing that a considerable amount of your tax dollars is being spent in a way you wouldn't likely agree with?
Unfortunately, we can't opt out of paying taxes. We can, however, opt to not pay dues or fees if we don't agree. Not a great analogy on your part. :D

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
loren said:
i dont give a flip if they support eating crap sandwiches

if i can get a couple hundred dollars --per year--savings on hotels

im all in

i paid $27 for 3 years membership

and now will get $20 refunded from walgreens

$10 for me and $10 for laura

so that leaves $7 for the three years membership

if they can support a political agenda on 2/3 of a cent per day from me

then go for it

it costs them far more than the $7 for the magazine shipping and the 6 letters a month i toss in the trash

as i see it

joining them costs them money

i seriously dont see how any of youall purchase gas for your bike

where do you think that comes from, and whom it supports

loren, I don't want you to color me as one those nasty one-issue Republicans.

http://www.nascon.org/community/index.php

My grandfather taught me a long time ago that a lot can be taken from a man, but the one thing no one can take - that you must willing give up - is your integrity.

I, too, will ***** myself out. but it takes a lot more than $20 for me to abandon my principles. So I guess you and I are alike. I admit I can be bought, but it would have to have a LOT more zeros to tempt me than is found in $20.00.

I do respect your right to be wrong on this issue, too. :beer3:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Wanderer said:
Tony in AZ said:
We receive AARP discounts at hotels. Never shown an AARP card yet.
Right on, Tony. Most places will give you the discount regardless. I'm no longer a member because I don't like AARP's political positions on too many things.
:yes1: :yes1: :yes1: :yes1: :yes1: :yes1:

·
Registered
430 Posts
AARP?

First, let me say that I am as conservative as just about anyone on this board. I consider me a 'Republitarian' since very few Libertarians ever win anything, so why throw away a vote on a 3rd party candidate, unless they have a chance. I almost always vote GOP.

Second, the AARP probably doesn't really need our 12 bucks a year, since a lot of their funding and support comes from the left. They are really just another form of lobyism. They do lobby for certain things that are important for me, considering the fact that I am a senior citizen.

I do belong to the AARP. I and my less than 50 spouse each get a spiffy membership card (hey ya never know when ya might be at a liberal cocktail party and need to 'fit in'), which we can wave around and show off. It might even help me get a job as greeter at Wally World.

I also get a nice magazine that looks good in the basket next to the crapper. I can filter out the liberal crap that I don't like and read up on the latest techniques to keep me right on ticking. Of course there's always the old dried up crazy liberal celeb. I just pulled out the April edition and guess who the pinup was? Goldie Hawn! Hot, hot, hot! Well maybe not, not, not :lol: Even had that old fart ****, from the Rolling Stones one month. I could barely contain myself.

I also am enrolled in their version of AAA (not AA - that is for quitters). It covers just about any vehicle that I am occupying, not just driving, including my motorcycles. All I have to do is make the call and show my card when the friendly tow truck arrives.

I'll probably continue to keep my membership with AARP, even though I scoff at their puny hotel discounts. I just put a tired, pathetic look on my face (not hard to do when riding all day in triple digit temperatures) and ask the innkeeper if they have any vacancies. Sometimes it pays to be really nice, like late at night when they only have a couple of rooms available in a radius of 70 miles. Been there done that. Once it's confirmed that there are plenty of rooms available, I then put on the no nonsense look and tell them I am a bit short on cash and need their best, bottom dollar, corporate, geezer, blue-hair, exhausted motorcyclist rate. If I whine enough, it's usually good for a double sawbuck or so. AARP cards not needed, just like HOG cards, HRCA cards, STAR cards, GWRRA cards. I can do just fine on my own. A little bit of whining goes a long way...

It's just that I hate to stop anything I start. I've been a subscriber to National Geographic since 1972, even though they continually pee me off with their leftist, tree hugging, save the frogs propaganda.

Besides, it's great fun to see who made the celeb of the month in The Magazine. According to them (AARP) it is the "World's Largest Circulation Magazine". Hah! Take that, Hugh Hefner. He has appeared there also.

p.s. I once joined the John Birch Society after some arm twisting by a couple of patriots who visited my office (behind closed doors, of course). I think one was a retired general or something. I wouldn't know since I was a Navy guy. But I dropped my membership after a year. They made me a bit nervous and besides, I just wanted the card with my name on it. How's that for a shallow, show off, posseur... :D

You guys can opt out of AARP, but likely they'll do just fine with or without us...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wanderer said:
Tony in AZ said:
We receive AARP discounts at hotels. Never shown an AARP card yet.
Right on, Tony. Most places will give you the discount regardless. I'm no longer a member because I don't like AARP's political positions on too many things.
Ditto.

I found their stance on voluntary privatization of a portion of younger folks SS very interesting considering they subsequently developed a similar program for AARP members... ????

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,709 Posts
Silverback said:
......How do you feel about paying taxes, knowing that a considerable amount of your tax dollars is being spent in a way you wouldn't likely agree with?
I have to pay taxes or go to jail. If I choose to not be a member of AARP I believe there are no penal penalties.

Bob E.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Re: AARP?

bobvail said:
You guys can opt out of AARP, but likely they'll do just fine with or without us...
Seems to me, its not a matter of power. Most of us rarely have the power as individuals to make much of an impact on large companies - or small ones for that matter. :!:

Its a matter of self-respect and personal integrity in my mind. Over the course of my life I've chosen not to donate my hard earned income to companies & individuals whose goals conflict with my own.

Sometimes I'm alone in my financial protest. Sometimes I'm one of many. Sometimes its easy, sometimes its hard. But in any case I have the personal satisfaction of knowing I didn't compromise my beliefs for a smaller premium or discounted motel room. :wink:

Of course, I've got a few buddies who never met a discount they didn't take - from anyone - for anything :!: <LOL>

Cheers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Silverback said:
I'm amazed that some people object to paying the dues to an organization that has some benefit for senior citizens, based solely on what they do with some of the money.
I'm surprised you can't see a difference. It boils down to the difference in NEEDS and WANTS. AARP does nothing we NEED. Taxes pay for needs and wants.

As a republic we VOTE for representatives to get things done our way, but we also recognize that what we want isn't necessarily what everyone else wants. We also recognize the need for reasonable taxation to pay for these things.

Besidres, I've directed all my taxes to the military, so none of them go to anything I don't like. :D

Cheers.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.