GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could be mistaken but I thought I had heard somewhere that Honda was promising 10 years worth of Map upgrades. Maybe it's not applicable to my bike? New to me a 2012 ABS with the navigation firmware updated to 2.50 (the VIN did fall Within the recall range of the service bulletin) but the maps are dated from 2011. Do I need to pay the $95 to upgrade the maps or is there something else available? Is it even worth it to upgrade the maps?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I cannot speak to Honda offering free upgrades, I guess anything is possible(?). I think updating depends on how much you depend on the OEM NAV. Unfortunately/fortunatly aftermarket GPS can be(is) more user friendly, available w/lifetime map updates, firmware upgradable...etc.. In my case, I continue to use my aftermarket GPS and update/upgrade as needed and let my OEM NAV(obsolete when new) sit there taking up space. JMHO. B.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured as much. If I really need directions I'll put it into my Android phone and let it voice command directions as it uses the Google Maps. I keep the phone in my breast pocket as the screen is probably too small to see the nuances anyway. The OEM map may or may not follow along.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
<...>Do I need to pay the $95 to upgrade the maps or is there something else available? Is it even worth it to upgrade the maps?
That 10 year promise (snicker) may have been on the '18+ units, but never heard that on a '17 and earlier model.

So, yeah, you'll pony up the $95 for the last set of maps Garmin will provide, or with a little computer savvy, you'll install something else.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
If you plan to use the GPS, you'll want to have updated maps/firmware. You can update these from the maps pulled from a portable GPS, but there are files on the GPS not updated by this method. Given how old your unit is, I would recommend purchasing an update from Garmin/Honda for $95, and then going from there. If you want to be able to updates your maps in an unofficial way, you need a portable GPS with lifetime maps (a unit which supports the Junction View feature is helpful). Just ask if you need more details.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I use my Garmin GPS...

I'm not sure if I trust the built in Honda GPS too much.....Everytime I use it I find myself swearing at it.. BUT then again, I'm not at all computer savvy......** I can fix, repair, and replace a complete heating system, BUT still have trouble using my cell phone**

Ronnie

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not sure I care for some of the behaviors in my standalone Nuvi in the car either. For some reason recently it insists on showing me there are no traffic delays along my commuting route, taking up valuable screen real estate in the process. If you dismiss it it comes back up every 1/10 mile or so.

·
Registered
711 Posts
In my case, I continue to use my aftermarket GPS and update/upgrade as needed and let my OEM NAV(obsolete when new) sit there taking up space. JMHO. B.
:agree:Same with me. But it does bother me I can't re-purpose the nice Honda screen to do something like give me a rear camera view or scroll through a USB file tree to pick songs to listen to. Something useful.

And here's another thought: Honda should do what H-D and Ford do when they partner with true technology leaders by integrating those company's products into the Wing. I'm thinking of Bose and Eddie Bauer co-branding, for example. Honda could do this with Garmin GPS and make me a happy camper. ****, they could even sell it as an upgrade. It would likely be cheaper than the $600 add-on expense for some GPS units.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Honda should do what H-D and Ford do when they partner with true technology leaders by integrating those company's products into the Wing.
Honda *powersports* is a little fish in a really, really big pond.

If Honda does NOT want to incorporate a touch-screen interface on a motorcycle, then Android Auto simply doesn't happen - at least right now. Other threads have discussed that thoroughly.

Sure, Honda has incorporated both major telematics systems (Apple & Android) since 2016. That's not been that long, but that was when many other automobile suppliers started throwing in the towel and realizing that their customers did not want something that was controlled by the automaker.

"In 2015, Hyundai became the first automaker in the world to offer Android Auto and in May 2016, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay integrations were offered as an upgrade for eight existing models."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts